U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 09:08 AM

18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes, I'd go with this for a line to demarcate "the deep south" in Texas...........

Hugo, OK- Paris, Tx- Sulpher Springs- Canton- Athens- Palestine- Crockett- Huntsville- and down into the Houston metro being the last town that has any deep south element in Texas. Obviously Houston is an international city but has some deep south roots.

West of that line in Texas is more of the "Frontier South" that was described by a poster previously. The part of Texas that was settled more post civil war and wasn't established so much antebellum.

For instance, Dallas was founded pre civil war but it really didn't start booming until after the war. And there is a lot of argument about it being deep south. I say it fits better with the part of Texas west of the line previously described but does have a stronger southern presence than points west.
I can agree that the Deep South demarcation can get down to the northern areas of Houston metro. Not really the entire metro and most of the city. But the northern fringes and parts of the suburbs, I can see that. Dallas I do agree that itís not the Deep South.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:22 PM

1,030 posts, read 627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
See attached. Is this a good (rough) map of the South-- Upper and Deep. Upper in orange and Deep in red.
Not really.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:26 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Not really.
What are your personal complaints with it?

Old 01-05-2019, 03:35 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,648,849 times
The only part of Virginia I'd include would be the southwest. You could probably make the border somewhere south of Richmond and west of New Kent. Definitely not the tidewater region. Not sure I'd include as much of Texas or Oklahoma as you have, but I'll leave that to residents of those state to say.

Curious what the purpose of this map is. Maybe I could see a reason for those boundaries if I knew how the map will be used.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:15 PM

252 posts, read 128,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
The only part of Virginia I'd include would be the southwest. You could probably make the border somewhere south of Richmond and west of New Kent. Definitely not the tidewater region. Not sure I'd include as much of Texas or Oklahoma as you have, but I'll leave that to residents of those state to say.

Curious what the purpose of this map is. Maybe I could see a reason for those boundaries if I knew how the map will be used.
LOL the only part of Virginia that is Southern is the southwest? And since when was Petersburg/Danville/all the other cities "South of Richmond and west of New Kent" "southwest" Virginia?

Old 01-05-2019, 06:03 PM

3,551 posts, read 1,648,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
LOL the only part of Virginia that is Southern is the southwest? And since when was Petersburg/Danville/all the other cities "South of Richmond and west of New Kent" "southwest" Virginia?

Fair enough, SW doesn't really fit either. I probably should have just said "South of Richmond and west of New Kent." I was just trying to differentiate from the towns east of New Kent east, most of which aren't really that "southern" these days as more and more retirees from the NE move in.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:55 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Fair enough, SW doesn't really fit either. I probably should have just said "South of Richmond and west of New Kent." I was just trying to differentiate from the towns east of New Kent east, most of which aren't really that "southern" these days as more and more retirees from the NE move in.
Just because northerners live there doesn't change where it is.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:37 PM

10,156 posts, read 6,486,683 times
Why do people feel the need to classify the south into two areas today? I think that is in the past.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:27 PM

11,970 posts, read 5,106,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Why do people feel the need to classify the south into two areas today? I think that is in the past.
Gentrification maybe? I'm not a Southerner but I find it funny how people move to the South and then try to claim it's not Southern anymore, as if it magically moved north of the Mason Dixon line, LOL. Virginia and Florida come to mind first.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:29 PM

7,744 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Gentrification maybe? I'm not a Southerner but I find it funny how people move to the South and then try to claim it's not Southern anymore, as if it magically moved north of the Mason Dixon line, LOL. Virginia and Florida come to mind first.
That's what I've been saying about MD too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.