U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 09:40 PM

12,079 posts, read 5,170,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That's what I've been saying about MD too.
It's like saying Argentina is no longer in South America because at least half of the population or their decedents come from Italy.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:48 PM

1,063 posts, read 642,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
What are your personal complaints with it?
Not complaints just disagree. Most depictions of the South boundaries is in the Census. As for deep & upper sub regions , it's a tiresome topic. In my opinion, Upper is MD,DE,WV, & DC based on historical geography. Deep would be MS, AL, GA, TN, LA, & SC. Latter is loosely opinated. Born and raised in Mississippi so Deep South and/or Mid South fits to me.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:54 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,283,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Gentrification maybe? I'm not a Southerner but I find it funny how people move to the South and then try to claim it's not Southern anymore, as if it magically moved north of the Mason Dixon line, LOL. Virginia and Florida come to mind first.
Sorry but born in Northern Virginia like alot of my childhood friends and not one claims to be Southern. If we're talking culturally, are you saying places cant and will never change?

Old 01-05-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That's what I've been saying about MD too.
Yeah but the most prosperous and populous area of MD doesnt identify as Southern.. you're an outlier. Not too sure about the Delmarva penninsula side but Western Marylanders dont consider themselves Southerners either. Are you specifically speaking from a African American population perspective?

Also before you agree w marino760 just bc it agrees with your weird agenda, have you seen his posting history?.... when you do, yes that's the one person that sees your perspective.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Sorry but born in Northern Virginia like alot of my childhood friends and not one claims to be Southern. If we're talking culturally, are you saying places cant and will never change?
No where in the title of this thread is culture mentioned. Did you see that?

Old 01-05-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
No where in the title of this thread is culture mentioned. Did you see that?
So your saying you meant geographically only and not culturally bc I believe that's what most are talking about considering the map shows lines wn states rather then just state boundaries themselves..... sort of obvious.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:04 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,750,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Not complaints just disagree. Most depictions of the South boundaries is in the Census. As for deep & upper sub regions , it's a tiresome topic. In my opinion, Upper is MD,DE,WV, & DC based on historical geography. Deep would be MS, AL, GA, TN, LA, & SC. Latter is loosely opinated. Born and raised in Mississippi so Deep South and/or Mid South fits to me.
I just can't agree that any state that borders New Jersey can be southern, water or not. And northern WV sits as far north as Philadelphia, and damn near reaches NYC at its extent.

But hey, different strokes!

Old 01-05-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
So your saying you meant geographically only and not culturally bc I believe that's what most are talking about.
OK, there are pockets large and small in all of the states with culture in mind which we can talk about. I thought the thread was "Map of South, upper and deep". The title has nothing to do with culture. The title in of itself is about geography. If it's about culture then perhaps a different title is in order.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
OK, there are pockets large and small in all of the states with culture in mind which we can talk about. I thought the thread was "Map of South, upper and deep". The title has nothing to do with culture. The title in of itself is about geography.
Technically DC is north of the midline of the east coast.. and considering the OPs post shows lines dissecting states I thought it was pretty obvious we're going by culture or else we could've just followed outdated states lines which the census follows.

So with that said, do you consider MD or DC still Southern culturally?

Old 01-05-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Technically DC is north of the midline of the east coast.. and considering the OPs post shows lines dissecting states I thought it was pretty obvious we're going by culture or else we could've just followed outdated states lines which the census follows.

So with that said, do you consider MD or DC still Southern culturally?
I don't think state lines are erroneous or outdated unless a state line physically changes. That hasn't happened I think since West Virginia broke off from Virginia.
Culturally, I think MD is a mix and DC is also to some extent. Culturally, Virginia and West Virginia are a mix as well, but a mix can be found in almost all states one way or another. That doesn't change their borders or make them north or south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.