U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:30 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,738 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Reputation: 3582

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
DC has both Northern and Southern influences, but culturally, I think it leans more Northern, at least on the surface. It's probably best described as "Mid-Atlantic" though. Also, I agree Houston and Atlanta are Southern AND cosmopolitan, but there is very little that is Southern about Miami, at least to me. Kode, could you describe Miami's Southernness?
Location, location, location, history, black natives.

 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:31 PM
 
2,510 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Reputation: 1820
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Now you're basing DC regional population on a smaller population than the black population that I used, which is less than 1/10th of the population of the DC metro. .....riiiight
I only mentioned the Asian population bc you only fixate on the African American population as DC's tie to "southern" but the % of Asians resembles nothing "southern".
 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:33 PM
 
2,510 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Reputation: 1820
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Location, location, location, history, black natives.
But you said earlier Puerto Ricans was a Northern thing and well Miami has a ton.. again I guess blacks are the only demographic that matters?
 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:38 PM
 
Location: North Caroline
250 posts, read 127,923 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I only mentioned the Asian population bc you only fixate on the African American population as DC's tie to "southern" but the % of Asians resembles nothing "southern".
While a place with a high Asian population percentage is not typically Southern at all, there are still many prominent Asian communities in the South-- Vietnamese communities on the Gulf coast, Koreans in Atlanta, Chinese in the Mississippi Delta who have been there since the 1800s, etc. Just want to clarify that just because someone is ethnically Asian, it does not mean they cannot be culturally Southern.

Watch this video y'all, it's awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NMrqGHr5zE
 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:43 PM
 
2,510 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Reputation: 1820
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
While a place with a high Asian population percentage is not typically Southern at all, there are still many prominent Asian communities in the South-- Vietnamese communities on the Gulf coast, Koreans in Atlanta, Chinese in the Mississippi Delta who have been there since the 1800s, etc. Just want to clarify that just because someone is ethnically Asian, it does not mean they cannot be culturally Southern.

Watch this video y'all, it's awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NMrqGHr5zE
Yes, pockets exist but overall % #s when it comes to Asians, DC resembles none other in the South i.e. DC area has ~2x the Koreans in ATL but ATL gets attention for it bc its noteworthy for the South.

My point overall was that while the African American population in DC can resemble the south the Asian American population doesnt thus racial makeup for one or the other is irrelevant in determining "southerness".
 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:45 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,738 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Retail make up i.e. cava, pret-a-manger, blue bottle, la colombe - they all skipped BMore so I can see why you dont see it.
Consumption patterns i.e. sweet tea, organic
DC does not have an IVY but it is a top destination along with NYC, SF, Boston

Everyone basically disagrees with you on this thread as they think the map looks good which excludes MD and DC and no DC resident on CD as long as we've had this discussion has identified as Southern so at some point, which you probably wont, you have to see that you're not the norm in thought of DC's regional "cultural" identity.
You're basing regional identity on Coffee and sandwich shops?? Lol

It doesn't matter what you identify as, the Census Bureau, which is based in DC ironically, considers you southern. Those coffee and sandwich shops haven't been that busy in the past couple of weeks.
 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Reputation: 5374
Christ on a cracker, is this about Maryland again? Leave the dead horse alone for corn's sake. Nobody is gonna change their mind.
 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:48 PM
 
2,510 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Reputation: 1820
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You're basing regional identity on Coffee and sandwich shops?? Lol

It doesn't matter what you identify as, the Census Bureau, which is based in DC ironically, considers you southern. Those coffee and sandwich shops haven't been that busy in the past couple of weeks.
Way to deflect man.... I provided examples of popular chains in DC which clearly align with Northern cities which you thought I made up and now you think they are irrelevant.
 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:51 PM
 
Location: North Caroline
250 posts, read 127,923 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Yes, pockets exist but overall % #s when it comes to Asians, DC resembles none other in the South i.e. DC area has ~2x the Koreans in ATL but ATL gets attention for it bc its noteworthy for the South.

My point overall was that while the African American population in DC can resemble the south the Asian American population doesnt thus racial makeup for one or the other is irrelevant in determining "southerness".
Good point, and agreed.
 
Old 01-05-2019, 11:55 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,738 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Reputation: 3582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
But you said earlier Puerto Ricans was a Northern thing and well Miami has a ton.. again I guess blacks are the only demographic that matters?
Miami has a lower percentage of Puerto Ricans than most Major Northern cities, aside from that fact, Miami is located in the south; it's the geographically the southern most Major city in the contiguous 48 states. Is Miami no longer southern all of a sudden?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top