U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-07-2019, 09:49 PM
 
1,585 posts, read 987,451 times
Reputation: 2980

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
There's nothing really southern about it, I mean yeah, there are people from the south that live there, but even those people told me that there's nothing southern about DC..
GF, DC is obviously a unique city, bcuz of all the international & domestic transplants there, working with & for the Federal government. But DC is still within the South (below the Mason-Dixon). And DC is demographically within the American Black Belt. I'd say by both a geographic & demographic metric, DC is Southern. But I get why it's often viewed as not-Southern, etc.

Also if an historical standard is utilized, DC was a slave-holding society at the start of the Civil War. And Lincoln recognized DC's place within the South, which underwrote his intense effort to hold Maryland; so DC wasn't fully enveloped by the Confederacy. Peace

 
Old 01-07-2019, 11:20 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,749 posts, read 6,160,499 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
He said alumni from Ivy league schools. DC is teeming with them.



How is that something to brag about??

We can look at that fact a few different ways.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 01-08-2019 at 12:07 AM..
 
Old 01-08-2019, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
562 posts, read 542,539 times
Reputation: 1066
Whether you consider it a southern city today or not, one probative reality of DC's ongoing southern heritage is the fact that it has two big HBCUs (Howard and UDC). Maryland has four and Virginia has six. The only states outside the South to have them have palpable historic ties to the south, Pennsylvania and Ohio with two each. So, that says a lot. DC is or was the south depending on how you look at it. Does it really matter though? Hardly any one is a native and natives have some embarrassment about being associated with the south when their forebears would probably have felt differently about the whole thing.

Last edited by JMT; 01-08-2019 at 04:37 PM..
 
Old 01-08-2019, 09:19 AM
 
2,517 posts, read 2,280,503 times
Reputation: 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Whether you consider it a southern city today or not, one probative reality of DC's ongoing southern heritage is the fact that it has two big HBCUs (Howard and UDC). Maryland has four and Virginia has six. The only states outside the South to have them have palpable historic ties to the south, Pennsylvania and Ohio with two each. So, that says a lot. DC is or was the south depending on how you look at it.

I've never denied DC's history as I've stated before that I'm going off of the current population and culture of the city. DC in noway resembles anything I've seen in the South. Besides just the Black community's ties to the South, the Asian population is more reminiscent of non Southern cities i.e. NYC @9.9% of total and DC @9.3% of total. The only thing I've heard anyone say clearly that ties DC to the South is the Black population. What about the numerous other categories i.e walk scores, ivy league alumni, available retail chains, transit use, health measures, density, never ending commuting patterns bw NYC/DC. Things like these play a huge role into the local everyday culture.

Do you know how many articles stated that the "Northeast" won Amazon w/ NYC and DC landing the HQ2 instead of any of them stating a win for the South? Watch the national news or weather and you'll notice DC being lumped in with the NE and never with the South. Besides a few antiquated minds out there, it's clear the deviation DC took from being a part of the South to being a "East" coast city. And, again, I reiterate, I specifically mean culturally only. In the general psyche of the general masses DC is just another "NE" city..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Hardly any one is a native and natives have some embarrassment about being associated with the south when their forebears would probably have felt differently about the whole thing.

So do you think you're in a Southern city when walking around in DC? Besides the Black population, what about it comes off as Southern to you? I see the history argument but it would be odd for anyone that can see the distinction bw whats considered northern vs southern culture to think they are in the South when key components of what make the South are absent in DC i.e. accents.
 
Old 01-08-2019, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,872 posts, read 3,000,080 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
How is that something to brag about??

We can look at that fact a few different ways.
I'm just confirming Ebck's original comment, which you misconstrued. I think it's a good thing to have an educated populace.
 
Old 01-08-2019, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,872 posts, read 3,000,080 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
GF, DC is obviously a unique city, bcuz of all the international & domestic transplants there, working with & for the Federal government. But DC is still within the South (below the Mason-Dixon). And DC is demographically within the American Black Belt. I'd say by both a geographic & demographic metric, DC is Southern. But I get why it's often viewed as not-Southern, etc.

Also if an historical standard is utilized, DC was a slave-holding society at the start of the Civil War. And Lincoln recognized DC's place within the South, which underwrote his intense effort to hold Maryland; so DC wasn't fully enveloped by the Confederacy. Peace
Thanks for your post. Wasn't all of us America a slave holding society? IDK about the geographic perspective, but demographically, I don't think DC is southern at all.
 
Old 01-08-2019, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,872 posts, read 3,000,080 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I've never denied DC's history as I've stated before that I'm going off of the current population and culture of the city. DC in noway resembles anything I've seen in the South. Besides just the Black community's ties to the South, the Asian population is more reminiscent of non Southern cities i.e. NYC @9.9% of total and DC @9.3% of total. The only thing I've heard anyone say clearly that ties DC to the South is the Black population. What about the numerous other categories i.e walk scores, ivy league alumni, available retail chains, transit use, health measures, density, never ending commuting patterns bw NYC/DC. Things like these play a huge role into the local everyday culture.

Do you know how many articles stated that the "Northeast" won Amazon w/ NYC and DC landing the HQ2 instead of any of them stating a win for the South? Watch the national news or weather and you'll notice DC being lumped in with the NE and never with the South. Besides a few antiquated minds out there, it's clear the deviation DC took from being a part of the South to being a "East" coast city. And, again, I reiterate, I specifically mean culturally only. In the general psyche of the general masses DC is just another "NE" city..




So do you think you're in a Southern city when walking around in DC? Besides the Black population, what about it comes off as Southern to you? I see the history argument but it would be odd for anyone that can see the distinction bw whats considered northern vs southern culture to think they are in the South when key components of what make the South are absent in DC i.e. accents.
Exactly. Nobody crowed that DC landing Amazon was a victory for the south.
 
Old 01-08-2019, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,872 posts, read 3,000,080 times
Reputation: 3408
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
D.C. didn't snag Amazon, Virginia did. Virginia is still in the South, and always will be.

These denials and the desperation on display prove my point.

And there are plenty of Ivy League grads here. I guess that means Atlanta is no longer Southern as well? What a ridiculous attempt by some pretty insecure people to 'prove' they are somehow superior to the rest of the region.
yes, Virginia is southern. NOVA isn't. Crystal City is literally two miles from DC. It's in the DC metro area.

This is getting hilarious. Nobody has said being southern is inferior. But I'm not gonna call an elephant a hippo if it's not a hippo.
 
Old 01-08-2019, 11:35 AM
 
905 posts, read 769,107 times
Reputation: 1208
Actually Crystal City is like 1 mile from DC. You can find it in that county named after Rober E Lee’s plantation. But yeah, nothing Southern about it lol.
 
Old 01-08-2019, 11:39 AM
 
905 posts, read 769,107 times
Reputation: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I've never denied DC's history as I've stated before that I'm going off of the current population and culture of the city. DC in noway resembles anything I've seen in the South. Besides just the Black community's ties to the South, the Asian population is more reminiscent of non Southern cities i.e. NYC @9.9% of total and DC @9.3% of total. The only thing I've heard anyone say clearly that ties DC to the South is the Black population. What about the numerous other categories i.e walk scores, ivy league alumni, available retail chains, transit use, health measures, density, never ending commuting patterns bw NYC/DC. Things like these play a huge role into the local everyday culture.

Do you know how many articles stated that the "Northeast" won Amazon w/ NYC and DC landing the HQ2 instead of any of them stating a win for the South? Watch the national news or weather and you'll notice DC being lumped in with the NE and never with the South. Besides a few antiquated minds out there, it's clear the deviation DC took from being a part of the South to being a "East" coast city. And, again, I reiterate, I specifically mean culturally only. In the general psyche of the general masses DC is just another "NE" city..




So do you think you're in a Southern city when walking around in DC? Besides the Black population, what about it comes off as Southern to you? I see the history argument but it would be odd for anyone that can see the distinction bw whats considered northern vs southern culture to think they are in the South when key components of what make the South are absent in DC i.e. accents.
The architecture, painted brick, magnolias, crepe myrtles, street names .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top