Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 10:32 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't think state lines are erroneous or outdated unless a state line physically changes. That hasn't happened I think since West Virginia broke off from Virginia.
Culturally, I think MD is a mix and DC is also to some extent. Culturally, Virginia and West Virginia are a mix as well, but a mix can be found in almost all states one way or another. That doesn't change their borders or make them north or south.
I meant using states lines to define cultural lines. I could see the mix aspect but I can say that DC definitely doesn't identify as Southern.. numerous surveys/studies done on this. Nothing about the DC area today screams Southern. Numerous companies that are open in DC today are business found in NYC, Philly, Boston but not further south along with many other ties to the North w/ rarely any of them South leaning.

Last edited by Ebck120; 01-05-2019 at 10:40 PM..

Old 01-05-2019, 10:46 PM

467 posts, read 427,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
OK, there are pockets large and small in all of the states with culture in mind which we can talk about. I thought the thread was "Map of South, upper and deep". The title has nothing to do with culture. The title in of itself is about geography. If it's about culture then perhaps a different title is in order.
This is about culture, even moreso than geography. Otherwise, South Florida would have been completely shaded in, but we all know there is very little southern about Miami.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
This is about culture, even moreso than geography. Otherwise, South Florida would have been completely shaded in, but we all know there is very little southern about Miami.
Thank you OP. I thought it was pretty obvious or else you wouldve colored in full states rather then dissect them.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Thank you OP. I thought it was pretty obvious or else you wouldve colored in full states rather then dissect them.
Yessir. Culture almost always takes first precedence in these types of discussions.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:56 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Got it.. so you're only speaking for one racial demographic of DC which is less then half the city's over demographic breakout itself and using it to claim the entire city is one thing.
Of course not, we can break it down further.

The DC area doesn't have the Irish or Italian population of a northern metropolitan area. DC doesn't have the Puerto Rican population of a northern metro. The DC metro has a larger English and American first ancestry than Italian, which is typical of a southern metropolitan area.

What other metric to you want to to use?

Old 01-05-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Of course not, we can break it down further.

The DC area doesn't have the Irish or Italian population of a northern metropolitan area. DC doesn't have the Puerto Rican population of a northern metro. The DC metro has a larger English and American first ancestry than Italian, which is typical of a southern metropolitan area.

What other metric to you want to to use?
Let's talk about today.... retail makeup, accents for the majority, consumption patterns, education attainment levels, public transit use, passport holder %, housing costs, density, alumni from Ivys, taxes, on and on and on.... it all resembles cities north not south.

If you're only going to go off of demographics which is what you seem to be doing then the DC area has an Asian population that is only just behind LA/NY/SF/Seattle of the major mainland cities so......

Last edited by Ebck120; 01-05-2019 at 11:13 PM..

Old 01-05-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Let's talk about today.... retail makeup, accents for the majority, consumption patterns, education attainment levels, public transit use, passport holder %, housing costs, alumni from Ivys, taxes, on and on and on.... it all resembles cities north not south.
Yet there are no I've league schools in the DC area. Northern cities have Ivy league schools.

Half of the criteria sounds like you just made it up on the spot: retail makeup, consumption patterns

DC is a cosmopolitan Southern metro as is Miami, Houston, Atlanta ..etc.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Yet there are no I've league schools in the DC area. Northern cities have Ivy league schools.

Half of the criteria sounds like you just made it up on the spot: retail makeup, consumption patterns

DC has both Northern and Southern influences, but culturally, I think it leans more Northern, at least on the surface. It's probably best described as "Mid-Atlantic" though. Also, I agree Houston and Atlanta are Southern AND cosmopolitan, but there is very little that is Southern about Miami, at least to me. Kode, could you describe Miami's Southernness?

Old 01-05-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Let's talk about today.... retail makeup, accents for the majority, consumption patterns, education attainment levels, public transit use, passport holder %, housing costs, density, alumni from Ivys, taxes, on and on and on.... it all resembles cities north not south.

If you're only going to go off of demographics which is what you seem to be doing then the DC area has an Asian population that is only just behind LA/NY/SF/Seattle of the major mainland cities so......
Now you're basing DC regional population on a smaller population than the black population that I used, which is less than 1/10th of the population of the DC metro. .....riiiight

Old 01-05-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:

Retail make up i.e. cava, pret-a-manger, blue bottle, la colombe - they all skipped BMore so I can see why you dont see it.
Consumption patterns i.e. sweet tea, organic
DC does not have an IVY but it is a top destination along with NYC, SF, Boston

Everyone basically disagrees with you on this thread as they think the map looks good which excludes MD and DC and no DC resident on CD as long as we've had this discussion has identified as Southern so at some point, which you probably wont, you have to see that you're not the norm in thought of DC's regional "cultural" identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.