Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 05:19 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,844,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Sure there are isolated monuments/roads etc to the confederacy in other places besides the south. Some of these are quite weak though. I assume Gettysburg has a "confederate avenue" because of the battle. Utah has Dixie county because SW Utah is warm and the Mormons could grow cotton there in the early days. Not really anything honoring the confederacy itself. The street in Bellingham, WA was named after George Pickett because he was in charge of building the fort there when the place was settled and they have preserved his house. Not necessarily honoring his confederate service. And on and on.

NOVA, Maryland and DC all had the monuments as well as slavery, Jim Crow, and segregation. You are arguing that DMV is not southern now. I am arguing that it once was and has changed.............thus all the controversy.
The DMV is still southern. I don't know what makes them think that they aren't, but an influx of people from other regions moving there isn't why. If that was the case, then most cities wouldn't be southern anymore accept maybe Baltimore, Little Rock or Memphis.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:43 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,659,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Sure there are isolated monuments/roads etc to the confederacy in other places besides the south. Some of these are quite weak though. I assume Gettysburg has a "confederate avenue" because of the battle. Utah has Dixie county because SW Utah is warm and the Mormons could grow cotton there in the early days. Not really anything honoring the confederacy itself. The street in Bellingham, WA was named after George Pickett because he was in charge of building the fort there when the place was settled and they have preserved his house. Not necessarily honoring his confederate service. And on and on.

NOVA, Maryland and DC all had the monuments as well as slavery, Jim Crow, and segregation. You are arguing that DMV is not southern now. I am arguing that it once was and has changed.............thus all the controversy.
That's what most rational people are saying... some people seem to have a hard time understanding the concept of change.

Last edited by Ebck120; 01-18-2019 at 06:33 PM..

Old 01-18-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
That's what most rational people are saying... some people seem to have a hard time understanding the concept of change.
I agree.

Some people think that the south is just rural, slow farmland with dirt roads and Confederate flags. People also think that southern cities have no real public transportation, can't be densely populated. Places like DC, Baltimore, Miami blow away those stereotypes.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:12 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I agree.

Some people think that the south is just rural, slow farmland with dirt roads and Confederate flags. People also think that southern cities have no real public transportation, can't be densely populated. Places like DC, Baltimore, Miami blow away those stereotypes.
Just because you keep saying something doesn't mean it's true. I can say I'm dating Jennifer Anniston until I'm blue in the face, doesn't mean I am. Sorry man.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Just because you keep saying something doesn't mean it's true. I can say I'm dating Jennifer Anniston until I'm blue in the face, doesn't mean I am. Sorry man.
Lol.. to his credit.. he's from Baltimore.. alot of the cultural influence that comes from the North skips BMore directly into DC.. even retail chains that originate from the NE skip BMore and expand into DC first. This probably skews his perspective a bit and also feeds into the fear of BMore more and more being ingulfed into the DCsphere which is why he's so adamant on keeping BMore's characteristics alive.......but then again being stubborn is just a personality trait.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What I'm saying is true, though. DC is literally in the Southeastern United States. Unless the city has some how moved north of the Mason Dixon Line, that will continue to be the case. DC has always been below the Mason Dixon Line (which is where the south begins) and saying that it isn't is completely false.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
What I'm saying is true, though. DC is literally in the Southeastern United States. Unless the city has some how moved north of the Mason Dixon Line, that will continue to be the case. DC has always been below the Mason Dixon Line (which is where the south begins) and saying that it isn't is completely false.
But its "literally" not within the Southerneastern US considering its north of the East coast midpoint.....

Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Lol.. to his credit.. he's from Baltimore.. alot of the cultural influence that comes from the North skips BMore directly into DC.. even retail chains that originate from the NE skip BMore and expand into DC first. This probably skews his perspective a bit and also feeds into the fear of BMore more and more being ingulfed into the DCsphere which is why he's so adamant on keeping BMore's characteristics alive.......but then again being stubborn is just a personality trait.
You're bragging about influence from a region that you aren't even in? Where is DC's cultural influence outside of government?

Baltimore being engulfed by DC isn't a concern, as we have our own distinct culture that is pretty well known.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:27 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,363,481 times
Quote:
Ah ok, so this line that was formed in the 1700's is what says DC is southern? Ok, maybe its southern, but Fresno is in California. It doesn't mean it has the same characteristics as California.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
But its "literally" not within the Southerneastern US considering its north of the East coast midpoint.....
Neither is Baltimore or Richmond but all 3 cities are still southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.