Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 01:37 PM

467 posts, read 426,887 times

Advertisements

See attached. Is this a good (rough) map of the South-- Upper and Deep. Upper in orange and Deep in red.
Attached Thumbnails
Map of the South, upper and deep-south-map.jpg  

Old 01-03-2019, 01:50 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
See attached. Is this a good (rough) map of the South-- Upper and Deep. Upper in orange and Deep in red.
Looks pretty good other than it looks like a kindergartener did the coloring.

The only thing I'd change on that map is that the deep south should include a bit larger chunk of east Texas and a slight bit more of SW Arkansas as well as a bit of the southeastern corner of Oklahoma along the red river.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:01 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
No NoVa?

Old 01-03-2019, 02:01 PM

56 posts, read 55,515 times
This is the closest representation I’ve seen yet, though I would not have gone so far up the east coast. I personally would have stopped midway NC around Morehead City as you are getting close to the VA Tidewater Region. What is your reasoning for including this region? Looks like you follow the fall line.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:22 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
I don't know that the Virginia Tidewater is "Deep South." I've always thought of the Deep South as beginning somewhere in the SC lowcountry and stretching west into Mississippi. Tidewater is like a "shallow south"

Whatever color Tidewater should be, I'd expand it across the Chesapeake Bay to Northampton and Accomack counties in VA, and up through Salisbury to Sussex County, DE and Denton, MD. And I wouldn't be afraid to paint the area from St. Marys through Chesapeake Beach, maybe even up to Annapolis. All of that is old Tidewater, and it's part of the South.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:35 PM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I don't know that the Virginia Tidewater is "Deep South." I've always thought of the Deep South as beginning somewhere in the SC lowcountry and stretching west into Mississippi. Tidewater is like a "shallow south"

Whatever color Tidewater should be, I'd expand it across the Chesapeake Bay to Northampton and Accomack counties in VA, and up through Salisbury to Sussex County, DE and Denton, MD. And I wouldn't be afraid to paint the area from St. Marys through Chesapeake Beach, maybe even up to Annapolis. All of that is old Tidewater, and it's part of the South.
As a person from central MD, I've even never set foot in Charles, Calvert, and St. Mary's County. Yes, parts of Charles have some DC suburban influence, but those three counties plus all of the Eastern Shore south of US 301 still retain a pretty southern feel, and I'd throw in parts of Kent County, DE as well (not the Dover/Smyrna corridor though). That said, the portion of Sussex County near the beaches doesn't feel that southern due to the transplants and retirees, plus its just a ferry ride away from NJ.

And I always think of a "Middle" division within the south. IMO the Upper South is the portion of the region that has more influence from the neighboring northern region (Lower Midwest/Northern Appalachia/Mid-Atlantic) than it does with the Deep South. This includes most of the southern thirds of MD, DE, the southern two-thirds of WV, most of KY (except for the Cincinnati suburbs), most of VA (except for the DC suburbs and southside), Northeastern TN, southern MO, and northwest AR. The Middle South (most of NC & TN, northern AL & GA, upstate SC, southside VA, central AR) are sort of this middle ground in that its clearly southern, but not quite in the deepest portion. Anything south of there (including the Memphis area) is deep south, ending about 30 miles north of I-4 in Florida and about 30 miles west of I-45 in Texas. Though arguably a fourth division, "Frontier South", also exists, encompassing the middle two-thirds or so TX, and most of OK outside of the panhandle and parts that border Arkansas. It's southern with western influences, just like how upper south is southern with northern influences.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:36 PM

56 posts, read 55,515 times
I agree, I,d bring it up to I-20 in South Carolina making Florence and Columbia gateway cities.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:21 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Did you color this?

Old 01-03-2019, 03:23 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Why no MD?

Old 01-03-2019, 03:28 PM

467 posts, read 426,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Did you color this?
Yes lol-- a kindergartner could do much better. I only found two old, colored pencils laying around, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.