U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 08:06 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times

Advertisements

When I think of signature park, I think of one that visitors would be more likely to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 08:16 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,642,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Philadelphia (Fairmont Park)
For a large park, yes. But if we're also counting smaller ones, then Independence National Historical Park (which contains both the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall) is the definite winner. And if for some reason that one doesn't count, then I'd say Rittenhouse Square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Baltimore - Druid Hill Park
Again, I would agree if we're limiting ourselves to larger parks. (Though, Patterson Park could be a contender here.) But Federal Hill Park gets more exposure to the wider public than Druid Hill does. The classic image of Baltimore (the one showing the Inner Harbor and the nearby downtown high rises) was taken from Federal Hill. We might also count Fort McHenry National Historic Park.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:20 PM

92 posts, read 36,149 times
Salt Lake City:
Liberty Park
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/utah/liberty-park-ut/
Sugarhouse Park
https://slco.org/parks/sugar-house-park/
Memory Grove
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Location...City_Utah.html
The mountains surrounding us.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html

Old 01-06-2019, 08:26 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,124,311 times
Minneapolis is famous for its parks and green spaces yet I can think of a signature one.

Loring? Wirth?

Old 01-06-2019, 08:30 PM

4,480 posts, read 2,663,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
More like a plaza, really, but yeah, that would be the one that outsiders would know.

Orlando - Eola Park
The Seattle Center has several acres of grass in addition to a lot of plazas.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:02 AM

7,816 posts, read 12,321,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Any large cities that generally just don't have a premier park? Trying to think of any.
Las Vegas

Denver

Dallas

Old 01-07-2019, 05:36 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,199,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Las Vegas

Denver

Dallas
Dallas - White Rock Lake?

Old 01-07-2019, 06:38 AM

4,214 posts, read 2,503,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I love Milwaukee's Lake Park:

And, Milwaukee's Veteran's Park....both are on Lake Michigan, and walkable to downtown.
I don't know how it's possible but I've never actually been to Lake Park. I drive past it twice a day and according to Google Maps it's only a 13 min. bike ride from my house. I'm actually quite embarrassed by this and plan to remedy it soon.

I do enjoy Veteran's Park. It was appalling to see what Harley Davidson did to it after their 115th anniversary. We were at the park a few days after and it was destroyed. Hopefully by next summer you'll never notice.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...ry/1189967002/

Old 01-07-2019, 07:44 AM

679 posts, read 463,504 times
Providence : Roger Williams Park

Old 01-07-2019, 09:32 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,146,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Some cities obviously have a very large park that is truly the signature park for the city, not only in size, but in amenities.

These would include:
New York (Central Park)
Philadelphia (Fairmont Park)
Washington (national mall)
Boston (Commons/Public Garden)
Chicago (Lincoln Park..although Grant Park gives it some competition)
St. Louis (Forest Park)
Detroit (Belle Island)
New Orleans (City Park)
San Diego (Balboa Park)
Los Angeles (Griffith Park)
San Francisco (Golden Gate Park)

Which other cities have that kind of large, signature park?

And which cities have no park that stands out basically as the flagship and, in fact, there may be no large parks within the city? (this is not a negative; it merely means they are organized differently)
The OP specifically put the word LARGE in the title of the thread.

I am guessing he is referring to large plots of land, with substantial natural areas; I am guessing at least 100 acres in size. Not places like Independence National Historical Park and Seattle Center.

For Cleveland, this arguably would be Edgewater Park, although a little on the small side with 147 acres, has 6,000 feet of Lake Erie Shoreline and has exceptional views of downtown Cleveland and the Lake.

https://www.google.com/search?q=edge...w=1022&bih=445
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or