U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2019, 07:36 PM
 
3,228 posts, read 1,558,825 times
Reputation: 2364

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
well, ok, but aren't both Millennium Park and Maggie Daley Park really just parts of Grant Park??
They clearly are the trinity as I called it with even the Museum Campus with Solder Field too. But because these two newer additions are unique in their own right I would assume..... they get ther own identities and billing in tourism.

Being sort of from scratch additional parkland. I just more then once now said the trinity of Chicago downtown parks with Grant as the Front Lawn and Granddaddy and Millennium and Maggie as its offspring that earned and built their own worth ..... but always as one big happy family. Like I'm sure granddad wants his kids having their own virtues merited too.

Here as one big happy family without the Museum Campus ....
Attached Thumbnails
Which cities do (and don't) have a large, "signature" park?-chicagos-signature-parks-grant-milennium-maggie  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2019, 08:58 PM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,057,064 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Minneapolis is famous for its parks and green spaces yet I can think of a signature one.

Loring? Wirth?
The parkway system connecting the Chain of Lakes is like a linear park, 30-something miles long winding through the whole city. That's what I consider its signature park. But if you want to keep it strictly "parks", the signature park Is Minnehaha. That's the one visitors are most likely to see, given it's location at Minnehaha Falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2019, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
1,379 posts, read 1,197,133 times
Reputation: 2546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
The parkway system connecting the Chain of Lakes is like a linear park, 30-something miles long winding through the whole city. That's what I consider its signature park. But if you want to keep it strictly "parks", the signature park Is Minnehaha. That's the one visitors are most likely to see, given it's location at Minnehaha Falls.
Agreed with this. Minneapolis doesn't have any one signature park, but the whole park system is massive compared to most cities and can be compared to a string of pearls on a necklace. There are lots of key "pearls" like Minnehaha Park, Chain of Lakes (Bde Maka Ska, Lake of the Isles, Lake Harriet, Cedar Lake), Theodore Wirth Park, and then of course the entire Mississippi riverfront, all the way up to Gold Medal Park, Mill Ruins Park, and the Stone Arch Bridge.

Saint Paul's signature park is definitely Como Park, which could arguably be the signature park of the Twin Cities. In it are all the classic attractions like a zoo, a glass-domed conservatory, an amusement park, a carousel, a Japanese garden, a grand pavilion on the lake, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,914 posts, read 6,549,966 times
Reputation: 5388
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
They clearly are the trinity as I called it with even the Museum Campus with Solder Field too. But because these two newer additions are unique in their own right I would assume..... they get ther own identities and billing in tourism.

Being sort of from scratch additional parkland. I just more then once now said the trinity of Chicago downtown parks with Grant as the Front Lawn and Granddaddy and Millennium and Maggie as its offspring that earned and built their own worth ..... but always as one big happy family. Like I'm sure granddad wants his kids having their own virtues merited too.

Here as one big happy family without the Museum Campus ....
Dave, I'm in full agreement: they could either count as 3 separate parks or one unified park. One reason I like to look at it all as being Grant Park is that both Millennium and Maggie Daley are on the far north end of the park and were basically put in place to expand the parkland northward to cover the rail yards that were open and exposed south of Randolph Street.

Now here is one that I think perhaps only I do: I like to include the Museum Campus as being part of Grant Park as nothing (but LSD) separates the two. I realize when you work your way down a bit along the lakefront you'll come to Burnham Park, but I really do see the MC as being Grant Park extended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 06:26 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,914 posts, read 6,549,966 times
Reputation: 5388
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Agreed with this. Minneapolis doesn't have any one signature park, but the whole park system is massive compared to most cities and can be compared to a string of pearls on a necklace. There are lots of key "pearls" like Minnehaha Park, Chain of Lakes (Bde Maka Ska, Lake of the Isles, Lake Harriet, Cedar Lake), Theodore Wirth Park, and then of course the entire Mississippi riverfront, all the way up to Gold Medal Park, Mill Ruins Park, and the Stone Arch Bridge.

Saint Paul's signature park is definitely Como Park, which could arguably be the signature park of the Twin Cities. In it are all the classic attractions like a zoo, a glass-domed conservatory, an amusement park, a carousel, a Japanese garden, a grand pavilion on the lake, etc.
As the OP, this is a point I really tried to stress in my original post. There was absolutely no suggestion on my part that having a "signature park" was an asset. I looked at it simply as a way a city is organized and those that don't have such park are in no way "lesser" to those that do.

I think, using Minneapolis, as an example, is excellent. The string of parks on the city's west side are indeed impressive and a great set up. Minnehaha Park and the falls are great too. And the Mississippi Mile along both banks of the riverfront and island in-between is wonderful park land and a truly great waterfront.

Minneapolis obviously didn't miss a thing by not having that one, stand out signature park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 10:09 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,825 posts, read 12,338,063 times
Reputation: 4779
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Washington Park, City Park, Cheesman Park. Take your pick.
I've not heard of these before, the way people nationwide have heard of Central Park, Audubon Park, City Park New Orleans etc.

I know Colorado Springs is know for the Garden of the Gods outside the city which is a park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 10:51 PM
 
4,490 posts, read 2,676,874 times
Reputation: 4104
Audubon Park and City Park in New Orleans? News to me.

Though NO is more of a pleasure-tourist city than Denver so who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 11:53 PM
 
29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Reputation: 18529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've not heard of these before, the way people nationwide have heard of Central Park, Audubon Park, City Park New Orleans etc.
I don't think those parks are all that nationally renowned. I'd say the most popular public space in New Orleans is Jackson Square, easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2019, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,922 posts, read 36,220,301 times
Reputation: 63576
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Audubon Park and City Park in New Orleans? News to me.

Though NO is more of a pleasure-tourist city than Denver so who knows.
I was born in New Orleans and visited City Park often - I mean, like all the time, as a resident there. There's a lot going on there! Great family destination for tourists and residents alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2019, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2,923 posts, read 3,639,885 times
Reputation: 2144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Any large cities that generally just don't have a premier park? Trying to think of any.
LA.

I donít know if Iíd count Griffith Park in LA as a premier park. Itís a big mountain surrounded by freeways a few miles outside downtown with some flat areas at the bottom. Itís certainly different than the urban parks that make up the others on the OP list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top