U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2019, 03:03 PM

86,989 posts, read 102,554,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've not heard of these before, the way people nationwide have heard of Central Park, Audubon Park, City Park New Orleans etc.

I know Colorado Springs is know for the Garden of the Gods outside the city which is a park.
No one's heard of many of these parks nationwide. We are talking about a city's signature park, not "nationally known parks". Frankly, outside of Central Park in NYC, and Grant Park (now Millenium Park I think) in Chicago, I haven't heard of any of them. I've only heard of Chicago's because I used to live in IL (though not Chicago).
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 06:22 PM

2,865 posts, read 1,255,414 times
Cleveland-Cleveland Lakefront State Park

St Louis-Forest Park

We have Presque Isle here in Erie

Old 01-12-2019, 11:36 AM

2,560 posts, read 5,269,435 times
San Antonio-Brackenridge Park 1899/ San Antonio Zoo, The Wittie Museum, Japanese Tea Garden, Sunken Garden amphitheater.

Hemisfair Park, S.A. Missions National Park-Unesco World Heritage site, San Antonio Riverwalk.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 01-12-2019 at 11:48 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 01:18 PM

1,509 posts, read 679,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Seattle has some great parks but nothing stands above the others. That includes a couple former military bases in the 500-acre range each.

The center of town lacks a big signature park easily walkable from the CBD.

We tried to build a "Seattle Commons" in South Lake Union in the 1990s...it was popular though controversial, but failed twice at the polls. Ironically, the failure led to the one of the country's greatest district booms since then.
True... Volunteer Park does contain a museum, Green Lake park has the zoo, but there's no grand 'signature park' like San Diego's Balboa Park. Another unusual thing about Seattle is it doesn't have full-fledged civic center... local-government offices (city, county and courts) are close to each other, but the federal building and the main library are some blocks distant, and the museums are farther away still.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:41 PM

4,480 posts, read 2,663,831 times
The former Public Safety block will be redone at some point, possibly in a year with the tower/plaza combo currently planned. The County is looking at rethinking its properties next door. Maybe it'll feel more like a civic center in 2030 or so.

As for the museums, I'm glad they're not too clustered...that tends to end with boring museum districts.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:47 PM

374 posts, read 145,588 times
[quote=2Easy;54122476]LA.

I donít know if Iíd count Griffith Park in LA as a premier park. Itís a big mountain surrounded by freeways a few miles outside downtown with some flat areas at the bottom. Itís certainly different than the urban parks that make up the others on the OP list

Having been to Griffith Park several times just this year alone, I have to disagree with your assessment of GP. The park is huge with plenty of pic-nic areas that are always packed on weekends. Also there's the world famous Griffith Observatory, Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens, The Autry Museum, Travel Town Train Museum, The Greek Theater, the GP Carousel, built in 1926 and still operating, the children's pony ride area and train, located at the park entrance.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:46 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,633,659 times
[quote=Angelino19;54131908]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
LA.

I donít know if Iíd count Griffith Park in LA as a premier park. Itís a big mountain surrounded by freeways a few miles outside downtown with some flat areas at the bottom. Itís certainly different than the urban parks that make up the others on the OP list

Having been to Griffith Park several times just this year alone, I have to disagree with your assessment of GP. The park is huge with plenty of pic-nic areas that are always packed on weekends. Also there's the world famous Griffith Observatory, Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens, The Autry Museum, Travel Town Train Museum, The Greek Theater, the GP Carousel, built in 1926 and still operating, the children's pony ride area and train, located at the park entrance.
It's huge and the common areas are indeed packed. But it's so big that you'd have to drive between most of those places unless you're hiking the mountain separating them. Maybe I shouldn't have said that it's not a premier park, but it's not the urban gathering place like many of the others listed in the OP. I guess it's just not my ideal. I go maybe once per year but drive through often as a shortcut from the 5.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:15 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,146,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
The former Public Safety block will be redone at some point, possibly in a year with the tower/plaza combo currently planned. The County is looking at rethinking its properties next door. Maybe it'll feel more like a civic center in 2030 or so.

As for the museums, I'm glad they're not too clustered...that tends to end with boring museum districts.
Why are museum districts boring and what museum districts have you been to that are boring?

Below is a sweet short video of Detroit's signature park, Belle Isle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMyg_dHZgsY

Old 01-13-2019, 08:40 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,148,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Why are museum districts boring and what museum districts have you been to that are boring?

Below is a sweet short video of Detroit's signature park, Belle Isle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMyg_dHZgsY

The parkway in Philly lined by museums can be a little barren at night

Old 01-13-2019, 08:43 AM

86,989 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Cleveland-Cleveland Lakefront State Park

St Louis-Forest Park

We have Presque Isle here in Erie
That is part of the state park system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or