Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What southern state has the most friendly people?
Texas 38 14.02%
Florida 4 1.48%
Georgia 11 4.06%
North Carolina 17 6.27%
Virginia 8 2.95%
Tennessee 91 33.58%
South Carolina 32 11.81%
Alabama 11 4.06%
Kentucky 13 4.80%
Oklahoma 11 4.06%
Louisiana 14 5.17%
Maryland 1 0.37%
Arkansas 6 2.21%
West Virginia 5 1.85%
Mississippi 8 2.95%
Delaware 1 0.37%
District Of Columbia 0 0%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:46 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I'll leave this to Reb. Oh REB......
LOL Been outta pocket for most of this week, Missy hon...so where should I start?

To tell you the truth though, if someones experience in Texas is limited to Austin or goodly parts of DFW, then the observation has truth in it. Just like if one were magically transplanted to Atlanta, Georgia from (wherever) then one would be hard pressed to think of even Georgia as a Southern state. And this goes for Richmond, parts of North Carolina, etc.

But gimme a minute and I will address it! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 05:57 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I would not consider Texas or Oklahoma "Southern". Oklahoma is very Midwestern and Texas is a blend of Midwest and Southwest.
Hi Jread. I wasn't trying to be insulting by "talking around you" in my earlier post to MissyMom, but she and I have run thru the same gamut before when speaking of Texas and her state of Kentucky. So I hope you didn't take it that way!

As to your point, one's personal experience is going to count for a lot when it comes to the question of regional affliliations of a particular state (are you a native Texan? Just curious). I CAN though, without question nor qualm, say that Texas is in no way, shape or form "Midwestern." So far as Southwestern goes, there is a certain bit of truth to that in certain locales, but generally confined to far west Texas and parts of south Texas (hispanic influence).

Otherwise, Texas, as a whole, is essentially a Southern state. Localized, here is an east/west gradient in terms of "degrees" but even most of west Texas is more Southern than Southwestern...if by Southwestern one means a grouping with New Mexico or Arizona.

I have made this case many times before on many other threads, so I don't want to get too lengthy by repeating them all here (don't want to bore everyone again! LOL). Only thing I can say is, I am always interested in hearing the opinions/observations of others who disagree, and enjoy the exchange and presenting what I feel is the solid case otherwise!

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-16-2008 at 06:13 PM..

Old 05-16-2008, 06:10 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
I see 4 places there that aren't in the south on that list...
of course, this isn't the place to talk about that

Old 05-16-2008, 08:22 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Been outta pocket for most of this week, Missy hon...so where should I start?

To tell you the truth though, if someones experience in Texas is limited to Austin or goodly parts of DFW, then the observation has truth in it. Just like if one were magically transplanted to Atlanta, Georgia from (wherever) then one would be hard pressed to think of even Georgia as a Southern state. And this goes for Richmond, parts of North Carolina, etc.

LOL I knew I could count on you to darlin'!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:58 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:

As to your point, one's personal experience is going to count for a lot when it comes to the question of regional affliliations of a particular state (are you a native Texan? Just curious). I CAN though, without question nor qualm, say that Texas is in no way, shape or form "Midwestern." So far as Southwestern goes, there is a certain bit of truth to that in certain locales, but generally confined to far west Texas and parts of south Texas (hispanic influence).

Otherwise, Texas, as a whole, is essentially a Southern state. Localized, here is an east/west gradient in terms of "degrees" but even most of west Texas is more Southern than Southwestern...if by Southwestern one means a grouping with New Mexico or Arizona.

I have made this case many times before on many other threads, so I don't want to get too lengthy by repeating them all here (don't want to bore everyone again! LOL). Only thing I can say is, I am always interested in hearing the opinions/observations of others who disagree, and enjoy the exchange and presenting what I feel is the solid case otherwise!
Very well put!

Old 05-17-2008, 03:48 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
The Lonestar State, hands down!

Old 05-17-2008, 08:32 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:

Richmond? Nah, that's very southern. Now if someone visited Northern Virginia and that's all they visited, than yeah, you wouldn't think Virginia is southern.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:09 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
The Lonestar State, hands down!
Agreed, hands down!

Old 05-17-2008, 10:58 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
Most Southerners I have come across from are friendly and down to earth. I find that Okalahoma and Texas people are the friendliest but had good expereinces from other states (and they deserve credit too). I get along well with the southern transplants who move to South Dakota and the Upper Midwest. When I was in Lousiana 11 years ago for a high school church youth gathering, I received great service from a restaurant north of Hammond, LA and was impressed by some in the service sector in New Orleans. Generally, if you treat others with respect then others will return the favor by treating you with respect.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:45 PM

106 posts, read 175,216 times
I say Tennessee on this one. I went there for a weekend get-a-way and I gotta say the people there were so friendly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.