U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 76,379 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone please suggest the best school districts/cities in the US for special education (ed. assistance for kids with autism)? We have a 7 yr. old high functioning autistic child.

We are willing to move anywhere in the US as I have a consulting job and I travel 4 days a week and I can do this from any major city/suburb in the US.

Any guidance or suggestions about resources where we can find such information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Veekay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,628 times
Default special needs

I hear there is a great program for autism in Columbia and Manning, SC. I can get you in touch with some people with the autism society that have kids in these programs.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:41 AM

68 posts, read 327,182 times
We moved from SC (we were in the largest county) and the schools didn't know what Asperger's was (4 years ago). It also was not legally a disability which has caused us more problems with getting him appropriate services down the road. I largely attribute my son's terrible self esteem and negativity towards school with his school experience in SC. I know things have finally changed there, but I do not see myself ever considering returning. I would avoid the southern states completely. I've found several posts on here of people who have relocated from North to South that are surprised at how much different things are. And how few services there are. I really don't think the schools have any idea what kinds of real services some states are offering that actually help these kids (as I have been researching states like NJ, DE, WI, and IL).

That being said two things I know of in SC (please verify, because I'm not certain):
1. Ryan's law - don't know much about it but was passed and is in implementation stage - meaning they are implementing in stages each year and way more demand than can be fulfilled.
BUT, it requires SC insurers to cover up to 50k a year for ABA. Maybe other stuff, I don't know.
2. I think SC is pretty high on the list in the amount invested with individuals with disabilities. I also know of some research going on through Columiba.

that's all I know. Definitely not enough to consider it a good place to be though for us compared to what's out there. just my opinion!

Old 12-06-2010, 11:51 AM

4 posts, read 7,537 times
New York City has the BEST Special Education program for Autistic Children. Each seat is labelled as "Precious" by the Board of Education. In N.Y., administrators realized that the more money you spend on a child 0-5 years the less burden it becomes on the education system in the long run, so they set money aside for therapy. You can get a full day program in addition to in home therapy. You have to advocate for in home therapy though, ex. if your child is regressing mention it and ask for additional services at home. They will usually give it to you.

In the meantime, you should have to get your child registered and visit each school to see if it's to your liking and get on a list ASAP. HASC, William O'Connor, St. Francis of Paola, Childrens Place, and the BIRCH Program at Nazerath High School (They follow their students and have great data to back up what they do + This school provides lunches and pampers if your child isn't potty trained) are examplary programs through the NYCBOE. The programs you find in NY you will NOT find anywhere else in AMERICA!!!!

Note: The states closest to Washington are more accountable and spend our federal dollars for what it was set aside to do.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 PM

1 posts, read 3,532 times
we have a daughter who has cebral palsy but is very high functional and we are willing to relocate if we can have her educated in the school system but not life skills as she is currently recieiving in texas.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 AM

12,529 posts, read 12,804,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agirlz View Post
we have a daughter who has cebral palsy but is very high functional and we are willing to relocate if we can have her educated in the school system but not life skills as she is currently recieiving in texas.
Bigger cities to the north is where you need to focus. Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle, Cleveland and Milwaukee are very well known for quality of special needs education.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:10 AM

20 posts, read 19,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Bigger cities to the north is where you need to focus. Chicago, Minneapolis, Seattle, Cleveland and Milwaukee are very well known for quality of special needs education.
I agree, the suburb of Beachwood (itself the most desirable suburb to live in in the city) is widely known as having the best programs, classes, teachers and environment for special education. My aunt moved there specifically 2 years ago for that reason for my cousin with cp

Beachwood City Schools

Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM

32,039 posts, read 38,126,815 times
I have children with special needs and there are some good districts in my part of NY that have good programs for special needs children. East Syracuse-Minoa is one that comes to mind. My wife attended school in that district and confirmed that there were students with cerebral palsy there. East Syracuse Minoa CSD

Here's an organization that can offer more assistance: Individualized services for children & adults with disabilities in Syracuse & Central New York - Enable

Here's more information: Home

Old 05-29-2012, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agirlz View Post
my son, who is 4 1/2, is "high functioning" CP as well and i'm finding it really hard to find good schools. my current school in Dallas schools (horrible) in a blue ribbon school has just gotten rid of their PPCD program. the principal has fallen into the pond of doing away with special needs classes now that Texas has decided to avg Gen Ed with Spec Ed grades and scores (thus bringing down school avgs) and we're left hanging. it's HARD to find a school that has a program with true special needs vs grouped in a class with kids with behavior problems.

i'm not a fan of Dallas anyway, so i'm ready to move, but i'm limited because i have to consider where would be beneficial to him!

i was looking into moving back to San Diego, but apparently they group ALL special needs into a school seperate from the rest... not at all what i'm going for. i really like the idea of the possibility of inclusion or, at the very least, being at the same school as his brother.

looking for the best places IN THE WORLD to move i'm ready to leave, but needs to be somewhere (other than Switzerland which is world reknowned for their special education) affordable and with a good lifestyle.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:36 PM

2,514 posts, read 2,445,698 times
I have no firsthand experience, but I've heard that the Montgomery County Md system, adjacent to Washington DC (Silver Springs, Bethesda, Gaithersburg) offers very good and wide-ranging services in special ed. Makes sense that it would as this is one of the wealthiest counties not just in Maryland, but in the entire U.S.

Parent Guide to Special Education in Montgomery County Public Schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.