U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 11:19 AM

23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
The city of Asheville itself is a bit expensive. But the surrounding area is pretty affordable.
You really don't have to venture very far from Asheville to find affordability. A favorite community of mine is Black Mountain, just a few miles from Asheville proper.

https://www.exploreblackmountain.com/

Last edited by JMT; 02-06-2019 at 02:33 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 02:57 PM

3,539 posts, read 1,513,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
You really don't have to venture very far from Asheville to find affordability. A favorite community of mine is Black Mountain, just a few miles from Asheville proper.

I agree! We love Black Mountain

Old 02-06-2019, 03:25 PM

59 posts, read 33,584 times
Now that's great input, folks! I appreciate it. Going out of town for a couple of days, but in the meantime I now have a lot to look over.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:07 PM

23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
Now that's great input, folks! I appreciate it. Going out of town for a couple of days, but in the meantime I now have a lot to look over.
Tony, are mountains or coast absolute requirements? I can think of some great communities in the South that are in neither, but have the artsy vibe that you're looking for.

Thomasville, GA
Athens, GA
Aiken, SC
Fairhope, AL
Oxford, MS
Madison, GA

Old 02-06-2019, 06:35 PM

I would say there is a preference for decent proximity to coast (within 2 hours). That unfortunately leaves out a number of great places mentioned. But access to a warm shore environment would be nice.

Y'know, while what I just said is true, I actually think it doesn't matter as much as having an area like those mentioned, with plenty to do, in a nice weather area. That's actually a bigger driver. I think the limit is having mild (generally no snow or freezing temperatures) winters. In its own way this changes things, but as well drops a lot a great suggestions off the list.

Last edited by tonyp22; 02-06-2019 at 06:52 PM..

Old 02-07-2019, 02:09 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I agree! We love Black Mountain

While Black Mountain is nice, it wouldn't be fair to leave off two other surrounding towns which in my opinion rival or exceed it's offerings.

Hendersonville is just 30 minutes south of Asheville and has a thriving artsy downtown that's been revitalized completely with not only a full slate of businesses, but also impressive streetscape improvements of the entire downtown core. Geographically it's attractive to many as it sits on a plateau at 2150' (similar to Asheville), but minus the treacherous icy inclines in winter. Downtown Hendersonville's Historic Business District Welcomes You!

Brevard is about 45 minutes southwest of Asheville in a stunningly beautiful area known as the Land of Waterfalls (Transylvania County). Downtown Brevard is cute as a button and hands down the friendliest town in my opinion in many trips throughout the region. It has great shops, nice restaurants/coffee shops/bakeries and galleries in a very walkable several square block grid. There's always something going on in terms of events including their well known Brevard Music Festival on the campus of in-town Brevard College or the White Squirrel Festival (named for the indigenous white squirrels that make the town home).
Welcome to Heart of Brevard in Brevard, North Carolina

Old 02-10-2019, 10:02 PM

199 posts, read 386,865 times
How about Port Townsend, WA? On the water. Mild weather year round although rainy in the winter. Great arts scene.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:40 PM

Hmm, my SIL lived around there for many years. Seemed too rainy for me.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:23 AM

792 posts, read 210,322 times
Quote:
I'm a few years from retirement and I've started my travels to places that are known to be financially friendly to retirees - and have nicer weather than where I live now (NJ). I spent many years up North and once again recently visited Portsmouth (my cousin lives up there). I love Portsmouth! It's charming, has a variety of non-franchised stores and shops, is a great "art" friendly town (they have first Fridays where almost every art gallery has things going on to draw in interested collectors), is scenic, and has great restaurants. Oh, and Kittery is a stones throw away. Yes it can be a little "too" Colonial (they recently fought off a Whole Foods coming in). Unfortunately it's way too cold for me. I've been to the central Florida area and to the Phoenix / Mesa area (including Scottsdale), but I didn't get a sense of any thriving walkable towns like Portsmouth. Yes, Scottsdale has everything one could want, but it ain't walkable (too big). And Florida has Winter Park, but I don't know. Something just didn't gel with me in WP. More States and towns planned for the future.

I don't need to be that far South, as long as the State is retirement friendly and has more pleasant weather than where I am now. But do any of these parts of the country have their own "Porstmouths"?

Hope you will update this tread as you conduct your field visits. Am in the same boat and share your observations and sentiments. I would only add Phoenix/Scottsdale too darn hot for me (was there in September). Have you been to Naples, Fl? Very nice walkable town, tony shops and restaurants, antique shops, art galleries, art festivals.

http://www.artswfl.com/festivals-2/a...l-art-festival

Last edited by Maddie104; 02-23-2019 at 10:45 AM..

Old 02-23-2019, 10:26 AM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Quote:
Hmm, my SIL lived around there for many years. Seemed too rainy for me.
In terms of demographics they are quite similar but PT has a higher percentage of retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or