Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 10:37 AM

648 posts, read 516,918 times

Advertisements

I'm a few years from retirement and I've started my travels to places that are known to be financially friendly to retirees - and have nicer weather than where I live now (NJ). I spent many years up North and once again recently visited Portsmouth (my cousin lives up there). I love Portsmouth! It's charming, has a variety of non-franchised stores and shops, is a great "art" friendly town (they have first Fridays where almost every art gallery has things going on to draw in interested collectors), is scenic, and has great restaurants. Oh, and Kittery is a stones throw away. Yes it can be a little "too" Colonial (they recently fought off a Whole Foods coming in). Unfortunately it's way too cold for me. I've been to the central Florida area and to the Phoenix / Mesa area (including Scottsdale), but I didn't get a sense of any thriving walkable towns like Portsmouth. Yes, Scottsdale has everything one could want, but it ain't walkable (too big). And Florida has Winter Park, but I don't know. Something just didn't gel with me in WP. More States and towns planned for the future.

I don't need to be that far South, as long as the State is retirement friendly and has more pleasant weather than where I am now. But do any of these parts of the country have their own "Porstmouths"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 10:52 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,508,020 times
Southport NC
Southern Pines/Pinehurst NC
Asheville/Hendersonville NC
Charleston SC
Beaufort SC
Savannah, GA
Jekyll Island/St. Simon GA
St. Augustine FL

Just some areas my wife and I (we're in our mid 50's) really like. We like Winter Park and Winter Garden in the Orlando area, but know no area is for everyone. Sorry your post got lost in the shuffle. Good luck in your search!

Old 02-05-2019, 01:15 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Annapolis, MD
Fredricksburg, VA
Charleston, SC
Savannah, GA

I feel like the southern beach towns are generally too tourist-trap to really hold much interest for you, although some of them are walkable.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:49 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
I'll also add Wilmington, NC, Mobile, AL, and Galveston, TX.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:26 AM

Hey. Thanks everybody.

I've been to a number of these places, but not all of them recently.

Savannah. Love it, they have a decent art scene. I wasn't sure if the nearby living would meet my needs. More investigation required.

Winter Park and Winter Garden. Very nice. Winter Garden is a little small as a cultural area, as is WP even though it's a bit bigger.

Charleston. Loved it when I visited, but haven't been there in a long time. Not sure what the housing is like now, nearby. SC is also not quite as good as FL and GA for retirement income, but it's still considered good.

Annapolis. Interesting choice. My uncle lives down there, been there a bunch but hadn't considered it for some reason.

A bunch of places in NC. I'd read about Asheville of course, being a very desirable area.

@march2, which of your areas would you say gives you the best sense of both an art and "green" (local foods, organics) scene?

Old 02-06-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
Hey. Thanks everybody.

I've been to a number of these places, but not all of them recently.

Savannah. Love it, they have a decent art scene. I wasn't sure if the nearby living would meet my needs. More investigation required.

Winter Park and Winter Garden. Very nice. Winter Garden is a little small as a cultural area, as is WP even though it's a bit bigger.

Charleston. Loved it when I visited, but haven't been there in a long time. Not sure what the housing is like now, nearby. SC is also not quite as good as FL and GA for retirement income, but it's still considered good.

Annapolis. Interesting choice. My uncle lives down there, been there a bunch but hadn't considered it for some reason.

A bunch of places in NC. I'd read about Asheville of course, being a very desirable area.

@march2, which of your areas would you say gives you the best sense of both an art and "green" (local foods, organics) scene?
I'd say Asheville. The organics is not a big consideration for me personally, but you will have no problems finding that in Asheville. I think their Arts is really good, especially for its size. The city of Asheville itself is a bit expensive. But the surrounding area is pretty affordable. The people are incredibly friendly as well. My wife and I day trip to Asheville often and really love the place.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:57 AM

Great info. How would you rate the weather? Particularly the episodes of severe weather, and the amount of cold in the winter?

Old 02-06-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
Great info. How would you rate the weather? Particularly the episodes of severe weather, and the amount of cold in the winter?
Asheville is in the Southern Appalachians, which, IMO, has the most moderate climate in the nation. The winters get snow (17"), get cold, but aren't bad at all. Summers it gets warm, but is nice. Springs and falls are heavenly, especially along the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Very little to no earthquake, wildfire, or flooding risk.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:08 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Southport NC
Southern Pines/Pinehurst NC
Asheville/Hendersonville NC
Charleston SC
Beaufort SC
Savannah, GA
Jekyll Island/St. Simon GA
St. Augustine FL

Just some areas my wife and I (we're in our mid 50's) really like. We like Winter Park and Winter Garden in the Orlando area, but know no area is for everyone. Sorry your post got lost in the shuffle. Good luck in your search!
Great list! That sounds exactly like what the OP is looking for. They all have the quaint, artsy feel that Portsmouth possesses.

I would add:

New Bern, NC
Wilmington, NC
Georgetown, SC
Bluffton, SC
St. Marys, GA
Fernandina Beach, FL
Apalachicola, FL

Old 02-06-2019, 11:15 AM

8,493 posts, read 4,550,068 times
Charleston, Savannah, and Wilmington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.