U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2019, 03:19 PM

39 posts, read 19,128 times

Advertisements

Okay, so my current job is eventually moving to the Dallas, TX area. My lease comes up the end of May, and it appears our Landlord may be thinking of selling our house.

I live in the San Francisco area, and I have been priced out of anywhere that is a reasonable commute into the larger metro areas. My company has accounts all over the country, and my current role can go remote for awhile as well (meaning, finding a job isn't my highest priority just yet). I can probably move, get settled, and have time to find a new job before that becomes a big concern.

I have several options to choose from, and I'm really struggling to figure out my best bet. Here are my factors/considerations:

• I have an established social network here in the SF/Sacramento/etc area
  • I would like to reduce my cost of living, or at the very least, increase what I'm getting for the cost (right now I have a couple rooms in a basement for $1600/month + primary use of a shared garage)
  • My family lives in either a) Portland, or b) Tennessee (Chatanooga/Knoxville areas)
  • I grew up in the midwest (Wisconsin) but enjoy the more urban aspects I've had since moving to California 13 years ago.
  • My passion is riding and racing motorcycles - so no matter where I go, an area that is conducive to that is a primary concern
At this point, I've narrowed my options down to the following, but some depend on outside factors:
  1. SoCal/Ventura County/LA area. My "ideal/dream" job, if I am ever to get into the field, this is the place to be. I have liked the area when I've been there. I do know people who live in the general area, and could easily build a social network here. Downside is, while cheaper than where I'm at, it's still not "cheap" and while I know people down there, none of them are "really good" friends at this point.
  2. Moving further out from the bay (say, Sacramento or the central valley). Much cheaper, I could probably find work in Sacramento, but the area does not really appeal to me. I do have good friends in these areas though, so that's a bonus plus the much cheaper cost of living. Established relations can be maintained.
  3. If my job will let me stay on, move to the Las Colinas area. Much cheaper cost of living, I prefer the laws in Texas, racing community seems fairly solid, but I would know no one there. I've lived in Texas in the past for about a year, and while it was okay, I didn't really like it, either.
  4. Tennessee. My mom is out there, along with my nephew. It's a growing area, I could probably find work, MUCH cheaper cost of living. Not sure if the culture really fits with me very well though.....so there's that. Plus, once I moved that far east, I'd probably feel pretty stuck if I wanted to move back west. I have friends out there as well, including a couple of people I would consider "good" friends, but not sure how long they will be in the area!
  5. I could move to the PNW, my current company has a LOT of positions up there, but I really don't know about the weather, and the riding/racing community exists but is not the caliber I'm used to here in California.
Looking for input from anyone who's maybe lived in these areas good or bad, or who've faced similar decisions and how you made up your mind!

Right now I'm leaning strongest towards SoCal, but it's not THAT much cheaper, and my network would need a fair bit of establishment, which has me balking a little bit - but, again, more job opportunities, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 07:56 PM

3,929 posts, read 4,077,183 times
What type of motorcycle racing? What level of activity and spending? Want year around or seasonal?

Old 01-09-2019, 04:23 PM

2,136 posts, read 775,667 times
I get the feeling youre an adrenaline junky that needs excitement in your life. How about Las Vegas? Low cost of living, low taxes, TONS of work, while still very similar culturally to California. Huge racing/biking community.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:49 PM

39 posts, read 19,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
What type of motorcycle racing? What level of activity and spending? Want year around or seasonal?

Road racing. I still keep my "B" bike in street trim, and still enjoy weekend jaunts on local roads.

At this point, as I've thought on it a bit more, I'm most strongly leaning towards SoCal/LA area.

But, the other areas aren't completely off the plate yet, either, that is just winning out in a few ways. The hardest part would be leaving what I enjoy and my established relations here in the "norcal" area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or