U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:13 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,309,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I think the average American knows Ellis island, but wouldn't (me included) be able to associate a picture of it with NYC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Ellis Island is famous for being an immigration station ó although one for the port of New York, and immigrants came through many ports ó but my point is the recognizability factor. Not sure it has itó early 20th century institutional buildings, how would you know itís anything in particular. Penn Station too ó As a physical place itís mundane, inside and out. Could be in any big city. As a name itís better known at least in the northeast but as the Pennsylvania Railroad named many of its stations for itself the one in New York has to compete with Newark, Baltimore and maybe others for recognition. Now if they hadnít gone and torn down the old station then...

Personally I think the new WTC is just another skyscraper whereas who wouldnít recognize the twin towers especially after what happened. And the memorial is moving but so new and quite like the one over in jersey city and other abstract installations. Maybe Iím wrong but I think it takes time for something to become iconic.
Penn Station itself is a dump and embarrassment and itís really tragic looking back at pictures of the original... but I only listed it (with a ď/ď ) as part of MSG since they really exist together. I think The Garden is the real recognizable part. It just exists with Penn, and unfortunately Penn is also pretty (in)famous. Not because itís photogenic or anything, because itís definitely not... itís just one of the main transit hubs in NYC/The USA as a whole and exists in the heart of Midtown Manhattan. Not saying itís a good thing. Actually, I try to avoid that place tbh.

Same idea with the WTC Towers (at least the main one) with the memorial since it makes more sense to list the whole WTC site as one single complex instead of counting the tower(s) and the memorial separately.

Clearly I was wrong about Ellis Island and I guess itís not so much of a landmark like i always thought it was. I always thought it was a very distinct, recognizable building (the main one), and the fact that is sits on a tiny little island I thought added even more to the uniqueness + recognizability. Itís probably because Iím from NY but when looking at pictures of Ellis Island Iím not sure what else it could possibly be...Iíll take your guysí words for it though now that 3-4 people have told me they canít recognize it. Apologies to the first poster, I thought you were being pessimistic but I think I was being too optimistic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 04:36 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,538,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Outside NYC and DC I think cities struggle past 5 or 6. I would consolidate and substitute a couple of the above for the Stahl House and maybe the Ennis House. Randy's Donuts qualifies but not sure to what degree it's associated with L.A. exclusively. Walk of Fame I would cite in front of Grauman's Chinese Theater specifically. Definitely the LAX Theme Building, maybe Capitol Records. So a good set of 10 but not as solid as NYC at least.
most people would place it not in LA, but in Lake Buena Vista, FL

Old 01-20-2019, 08:36 PM

518 posts, read 220,201 times
Iím gonna say Charleston, SC, for being such a small city, gets very close:

#1. The Arthur Ravenel Jr Bridge
#2. Fort Sumter
#3. King Street
#4. The Battery
#5. Rainbow Row
#6. Emanuel AME
#7. Waterfront Park
#8. Maybe the USS Yorktown

Still, Iíd say 6 or 7 for sure. Which is pretty good.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:54 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,196,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Iím gonna say Charleston, SC, for being such a small city, gets very close:

#1. The Arthur Ravenel Jr Bridge
#2. Fort Sumter
#3. King Street
#4. The Battery
#5. Rainbow Row
#6. Emanuel AME
#7. Waterfront Park
#8. Maybe the USS Yorktown

Still, Iíd say 6 or 7 for sure. Which is pretty good.
Most Americans have never heard of any of those things. Maybe Fort Sumter is the only recognizable name, but I certainly couldn't tell you what it looks like.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:10 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,984,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
How many American cities can pass the "Ten Places Test"? The answer is: precious few.

And what exactly is the "Ten Places Test"? Glad you asked. For any given city, locate ten places that if you showed them to most people, they would recognize the city in question. And they would recognize it for what is right in front of them.....even without the background that might, for example, show the city's skyline.

I'll give an example: San Francisco. SF easily passes the ten places test:

01 Golden Gate Bridge
02 Palace of Fine Arts
03 Lombard Street
04 Fisherman's Wharf
05 Pier 39
06 cable car
07 Transamerica Pyramid
08 Chinatown
09 Alcatraz
10 Painted ladies (victorians) of Alamo Square

I think all ten that I listed would stand up as being eminently recognizable. To me, SF easily passes the test. Every one of the ten above, IMHO, is iconic and people would know where it is.

Take any city of your choosing and put it through the ten places test to see if it stands up.
Good list, though Iíd replace the Palace of Fine Arts with Golden Gate Park.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:20 PM

12,861 posts, read 4,866,197 times
You folks are missing the obvious one.

Las Vegas has a significant number of places immediately identified by anyone looking at the picture.

Mandalay Bay
Excalibur
Tropicana
NY New York
MGM Grand
Monte Carlo
Paris
Ballys
Rio
Ceasars
Sands
Wynn Resort
Treasure Island
Circus Circus
LV Convention Center
Hilton
Stratosphere
Fremont Experience

NYC may do better but I doubt anywhere else.

A view of the strip from virtually anywhere on its 5 mile length is almost always identified as Las Vegas.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:41 PM

7,742 posts, read 6,146,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
Atlanta definitely fails.
As much as Atlanta is on TV/movies/music videos/news, I doubt it.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Most Americans have never heard of any of those things. Maybe Fort Sumter is the only recognizable name, but I certainly couldn't tell you what it looks like.
The OP didnít say knew the names of. Just if they saw the pictures theyíd know where it was. Just going by architecture and the natural surroundings of these places in pictures Iíd say it was Charleston. And Emanuel AME is probably still pretty recognizable. I know the shooting was 4 years ago, but still. And definitely the Thomas Ravanel. Itís iconic with the city itself. In fact, five of these things show up as the first pictures in a google image search. Now Charleston may not be as good as NYC, LA, DC etc. but it still does well for its size.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
As much as Atlanta is on TV/movies/music videos/news, I doubt it.
Iíd say Spaghetti Junction, CNN Tower, Coca Cola HQ, the Ferris Wheel, and Ponce. Oh, and the Superdome. Other than that, I donít know if a MARTA Raul car counts, but thatís about it. So yes, Atlanta fails the test.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:53 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,006,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
How many American cities can pass the "Ten Places Test"? The answer is: precious few.

And what exactly is the "Ten Places Test"? Glad you asked. For any given city, locate ten places that if you showed them to most people, they would recognize the city in question. And they would recognize it for what is right in front of them.....even without the background that might, for example, show the city's skyline.

I'll give an example: San Francisco. SF easily passes the ten places test:

01 Golden Gate Bridge
02 Palace of Fine Arts
03 Lombard Street
04 Fisherman's Wharf
05 Pier 39
06 cable car
07 Transamerica Pyramid
08 Chinatown
09 Alcatraz
10 Painted ladies (victorians) of Alamo Square

I think all ten that I listed would stand up as being eminently recognizable. To me, SF easily passes the test. Every one of the ten above, IMHO, is iconic and people would know where it is.

Take any city of your choosing and put it through the ten places test to see if it stands up.
I don't think most AMericans would recognize any of those places in San Fran outside of Golden Gate, perhaps cable car if it is goes up or down a big hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or