U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 08:09 PM

260 posts, read 115,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Chicago is another easy one.

1) Sears Tower
2) Michigan Avenue
3) Wrigley Field
4) Comiskey Park
5) Soldier Field
6) Naval Station Great Lakes
7) Navy Pier
8) Art Institute of Chicago
9) Chicago Water Tower
10) Field Museum of Natural History
Never heard of naval station great lakes, not did I recognize it when I googled an image and I'm from Illinois.

Comiskey Park? No way. There is nothing identifiable about it other than maybe its name.

Field Museum is not by itself recognizeable. Every city from that was a city at the turn of the century has stoic stone buildings.

Chicago's landmarks are its skyscraper. Sears, Hancock, Tribune, Standard oil (my favorite), and, more dubiously, the new Trump tower.

I'd also replace one of these with the bean and also the chicago "river"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 08:09 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,282,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I’d say Spaghetti Junction, CNN Tower, Coca Cola HQ, the Ferris Wheel, and Ponce. Oh, and the Superdome. Other than that, I don’t know if a MARTA Raul car counts, but that’s about it. So yes, Atlanta fails the test.
None of the items you listed would be recognized by the average citizen.... there are numerous "spaghetti junctions" across the country and I lived in Atlanta and can barely remember what the Coca Cola HQ looks like. Unfortunately most dont even know CNN is based out of Atl, most think its NYC or DC. The Ferris wheel is too new and Ponce... really?

Really.. 10 is alot and I think only NYC will pass with flying colors with a maybe for DC. There should be a 5 test.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
How many American cities can pass the "Ten Places Test"? The answer is: precious few.

And what exactly is the "Ten Places Test"? Glad you asked. For any given city, locate ten places that if you showed them to most people, they would recognize the city in question. And they would recognize it for what is right in front of them.....even without the background that might, for example, show the city's skyline.

I'll give an example: San Francisco. SF easily passes the ten places test:

01 Golden Gate Bridge
02 Palace of Fine Arts
03 Lombard Street
04 Fisherman's Wharf
05 Pier 39
06 cable car
07 Transamerica Pyramid
08 Chinatown
09 Alcatraz
10 Painted ladies (victorians) of Alamo Square

I think all ten that I listed would stand up as being eminently recognizable. To me, SF easily passes the test. Every one of the ten above, IMHO, is iconic and people would know where it is.

Take any city of your choosing and put it through the ten places test to see if it stands up.
Not only have I never heard of Pier 39, but it is a part of fisherman's wharf.

I've been to Golden gate park and still couldn't have told you the PoFA was in SF.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:25 PM

St. Louis

1.) The Arch
2.) The Brewery
3.) The Court House
3.) Brooking's Hall
4.) Busch Stadium
5.) Eads Bridge
6.) The Jewel Box
7.) The Old Cathedral
8.) Louis IX
9.) The Shell Building
10.) The Wainwright building

No, I don't ACTUALLY these places are all recognizable to a regular person

Old 01-21-2019, 10:02 PM

792 posts, read 439,966 times
I'm going to say that Phoenix wouldn't pass this test, because I honestly can't think of ten iconic places here that would be recognizable to the average person.

Only places I can that might come close would be Camelback Mountain, and the Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:13 PM

3,786 posts, read 2,572,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
I'm going to say that Phoenix wouldn't pass this test, because I honestly can't think of ten iconic places here that would be recognizable to the average person.

Only places I can that might come close would be Camelback Mountain, and the Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
Maybe a Phoenix city limits sign?lol

Old 01-21-2019, 10:17 PM

12,976 posts, read 4,905,298 times
So we all appear to agree that Las Vegas is in the top two on the ten place test?

Old 01-22-2019, 09:16 AM

5,942 posts, read 6,563,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Not only have I never heard of Pier 39, but it is a part of fisherman's wharf.

I've been to Golden gate park and still couldn't have told you the PoFA was in SF.
Palace of Fine Arts is in-between the Marina district and the Presidio, close to the waters of the Golden Gate. it is quite removed from Golden Gate Park, in no way a part of it; indeed the whole Richmond district comes between the two.

I won't argue with you on the notion that Pier 39 is "part of fisherman's wharf" because that nomenclature is given to the north waterfront's extensive tourist area that encompasses Pier 39, the original Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square, Aquatic Park, Hyde St. cable car turnaround, etc.

So FW and P39 are two completely separate places in the same area. It kind of compares with Disneyland in the sense that Disneyland Resort contains two themed parks, Disneyland Park and Calif. Adventure.....so Disneyland is used in two ways. Disneyland is a part of.....Disneyland. Fisherman's Wharf is a part of.....Fisherman's Wharf.

Pier 39 is actually San Francisco's #1 tourist attraction.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:34 AM

905 posts, read 769,895 times
If anyone is being completely honest, only NYC and DC qualify. Maybe Los Angeles.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Palace of Fine Arts is in-between the Marina district and the Presidio, close to the waters of the Golden Gate. it is quite removed from Golden Gate Park, in no way a part of it; indeed the whole Richmond district comes between the two.

I won't argue with you on the notion that Pier 39 is "part of fisherman's wharf" because that nomenclature is given to the north waterfront's extensive tourist area that encompasses Pier 39, the original Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square, Aquatic Park, Hyde St. cable car turnaround, etc.

So FW and P39 are two completely separate places in the same area. It kind of compares with Disneyland in the sense that Disneyland Resort contains two themed parks, Disneyland Park and Calif. Adventure.....so Disneyland is used in two ways. Disneyland is a part of.....Disneyland. Fisherman's Wharf is a part of.....Fisherman's Wharf.

Pier 39 is actually San Francisco's #1 tourist attraction.
Ah, thats why I didn't see it in Golden Gate Park.

Still disagree about the pier. Pier 39 is a part of the whole that is fisherman's wharf.

You cant claim Fisherman's wharf and then name all the contents of the wharf.

Just like Orlando can't name disneyworld and then name all the parks in disneyworld.

Or Chicago can't say "the mag mile" and then list a bunch of skyscrapers along the mag mile.

NY can't say broadway, and then name all the theaters too, nor can it say 5th avenue and also name the individual stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or