U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:04 PM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 15 days ago)

2,046 posts, read 1,999,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
If anyone is being completely honest, only NYC and DC qualify. Maybe Los Angeles.
Imo, LA has more verbal recognition than visual. Someone could mention ďRodeo DriveĒ or ďLA LiveĒ to me, and Iíd know what they were talking about. However, show me a photo of either aforementioned place and I probably wouldnít be able to put 2-and-2 together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 08:19 PM

904 posts, read 768,396 times
I agree with the L.A. assessment.
With regards to Las Vegas the opposite is true. A flashy hotel will probably make most people think Las Vegas. I doubt many people would know the names of the hotels though.
New York landmarks are recognizable by name and image. Same with Washington (well maybe 6-7 Washington landmarks). SF has 2-3 ( max 5) truely recognizable landmarks.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:50 PM

2,923 posts, read 3,640,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Iím aware that the Statue of Liberty is located on a separate island. I still find it hard to believe that most people would not know what Ellis Island is. I was going to post a picture for reference but I donít even think itís rly necessary.

If by chance I am being optimistic then replace Ellis island with The UN. But I donít think Iím being too local in calling Ellis Island a famous landmark. And if people tell me that most people donít know The United Nations then I give up on this thread... lol. And the general public too.
Most know the name Ellis Island and most probably have an idea of what it looks like. But show them an old building on a small island and I bet they couldn't say for sure if it were Ellis Island or not.

The Empire State Building has a similar problem. In my experience lots of people mistake the Chrysler Building for the Empire State Building when shown a photo.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I've been to SF many times, never seen that in person or a picture.
Same here. I'm not sure if I can recall ever hearing of the palace of fine arts before this topic and the picture doesn't look familiar at all.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Let's see:
--Pike Place Market
--Space Needle
--Ferry
--

Yep, good test.

Some of those top-10s are questionable though. Palace of Fine Arts and Pier 39? I've been to Pier 39, mostly because I happened on a great piano player named Caroline Dahl while walking by, but wouldn't recognize it in a photo, or Fisherman's Wharf for that matter.

But SF would certainly have the other seven.
Monorail?

Old 01-23-2019, 12:42 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,819,735 times
In effect, if your city doesn't have many nationally, and visually recognizable iconic places/buildings/objects/monunments, etc., it's out.
This doesn't mean that your city isn't relevant; it just means that somebody put together a metric to ensure that those who would qualify to be in the group would be tiny and exclusive.
There are many, many cities that can offer at least one such iconic image, and others can provide 2 or more, but most cannot produce 10.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:50 PM

5,372 posts, read 12,987,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Not only have I never heard of Pier 39, but it is a part of fisherman's wharf.

I've been to Golden gate park and still couldn't have told you the PoFA was in SF.
But isn't that your own not knowing? Is everybody going to know every single popular landmark in every city? No. I will tell you when I first visited San Francisco, the Palace Of The Fine Arts was something we certainly wanted to see.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:05 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,782,157 times
New Orleans:
Bourbon St
Magazine St
Shotgun homes of downtown wards (9th ward)
Cafe Du Monde
St Charles streetcar
Mercedes Benz Superdome
National WWII Museum
Jackson Square
Garden District
The many cemeteries (Lafayette, St.Louis, Metairie)

That's 10 that any American should immediately recognize and most versed travelers would as well.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:47 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,278,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans:
Bourbon St
Magazine St
Shotgun homes of downtown wards (9th ward)
Cafe Du Monde
St Charles streetcar
Mercedes Benz Superdome
National WWII Museum
Jackson Square
Garden District
The many cemeteries (Lafayette, St.Louis, Metairie)

That's 10 that any American should immediately recognize and most versed travelers would as well.
Hmm.. I doubt most Americans know anything about New Orleans outside of Bourbon St. and that's most likely if the snapshot showed partying and beads. Unfortunately, a weather forecast map showing Hurricane Katrina would probably be better recognized for NO.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:25 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,680,536 times
Yeah, I'd guess that one was a huge overestimation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or