U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:09 AM

798 posts, read 291,589 times

Advertisements

Yes, I’m not even sure what is particularly iconic visually about Chinatown in San Francisco. It’s famous, but not necessarily recognizable in a picture. I’m not sure the Palace of Fine Arts is recognizable to most people as San Francisco even though it is one of its most notable backdrops. I had to google what the painted ladies were incidentally, because I only knew them as the Full House houses. Coit Tower seems a good choice as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 09:09 AM

5,904 posts, read 6,542,365 times
What I should have added in the original post but thought of it too late:

Give your input on which cities "passed" or "failed" the test based on the answers supplied by fellow former (and if two or more people did the same city, you can give that city a "pass" if at least one hit the mark).

So you could respond as following (using European cities as an example):

London****pass
Paris****pass
Berlin****fail
Rome****pass

Old 01-09-2019, 09:13 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,310,086 times
^^^
I interpreted this thread not as just name recognition but mostly about visual recognition. A lot of people might not know Pier 39 by name, but if you Google Image search it I bet a lot of people would then know what that is after seeing it.

Same with painted ladies, Lombard street, and palace of fine arts

Old 01-09-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
^^^
I interpreted this thread not as just name recognition but mostly about visual recognition. A lot of people might not know Pier 39 by name, but if you Google Image search it I bet a lot of people would then know what that is after seeing it.

Same with painted ladies, Lombard street, and palace of fine arts
The question is would they see a picture and recognize where they are. I think Pier 39 with the seals passes that test. I donít think the Palace of Fine Arts does.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:29 AM

4,486 posts, read 2,674,615 times
Let's see:
--Pike Place Market
--Space Needle
--Ferry
--

Yep, good test.

Some of those top-10s are questionable though. Palace of Fine Arts and Pier 39? I've been to Pier 39, mostly because I happened on a great piano player named Caroline Dahl while walking by, but wouldn't recognize it in a photo, or Fisherman's Wharf for that matter.

But SF would certainly have the other seven.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:30 AM

5,612 posts, read 6,095,312 times
St. Louis
  • Art Hill
  • Arch
  • Busch Stadium
  • Soulard
  • Basilica
  • City Garden
  • Old Courthouse
  • Missouri Botanical Gardens
  • Union Station
  • Eads Bridge

Okay maybe a little stretch by including St. Louis in the likes of Chicago and San Francisco but these are things that makes the city recognizable around the world.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
St. Louis
  • Art Hill
  • Arch
  • Busch Stadium
  • Soulard
  • Basilica
  • City Garden
  • Old Courthouse
  • Missouri Botanical Gardens
  • Union Station
  • Eads Bridge

Okay maybe a little stretch by including St. Louis in the likes of Chicago and San Francisco but these are things that makes the city recognizable around the world.
I’ll give you the arch. Incidentally that’s more than most places.

Last edited by Heel82; 01-09-2019 at 09:50 AM..

Old 01-09-2019, 09:39 AM

5,612 posts, read 6,095,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Iíll give you the arch.
Okay

Old 01-09-2019, 09:39 AM

4,486 posts, read 2,674,615 times
Yeah, the Arch qualifies. The rest not a chance.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:49 AM

1,231 posts, read 509,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
The average person is not likely to be able to tell you where those things are located unless you showed them the GG bridge and the cable car as part of the group. I've never even heard of Pier 39 and certainly couldn't tell you where it is. This is another one of those topics where people confuse the average City Data member with the average person in general.

IMO there are only two cities with multiple points of interest that are instantly recognizable on their own: NY and LA
Exactly. I donít fell like picking them apart, but the majority of things listed so far would not be associated with the city if shown a picture, the name would for many though. In all honesty no city has 10, not even NY, LA, or DC if you really think about.

I started a thread about whatís truly recognizable. I think it was an eye opener for some who couldnít believe their locally known building wasnít known by all.

Truly recognizable/iconic landmarks and structures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or