U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2019, 09:55 AM
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
3,685 posts, read 8,782,260 times
Reputation: 2508

Advertisements

Cool thread idea!

I would venture to say that most people would only be able to use this game criteria to identify 5, maybe 6, cities in the US.

San Francisco
Los Angeles
Washington DC
New York
Las Vegas
maybe Chicago

However, I'll take a shot based on the criteria and add a city onto the list--Nashville!

1. Ryman Auditorium aka Grand Ole Opry
2. Country Music Hall of Fame
3. AT&T Tower, aka "Batman Building"
4. The Parthenon
The rest are dicey, at best--
5. Bluebird Cafe
6. Tennessee State Capital
7. Belle Meade Plantation
8. Vanderbilt University (Main Hall?)
9. Nashville hot chicken LOL
10. Country Music

Tough one hahaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2019, 09:58 AM
 
903 posts, read 443,066 times
Reputation: 1120
Atlanta definitely fails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 09:59 AM
 
803 posts, read 292,913 times
Reputation: 802
I think Lake Buena Vista probably could be added.

Cinderella’s Castle
Spaceship Earth
Space Mountain
Earful Tower
Hollywood Tower of Terror
Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain
Thunder Mountain
Monorail
Magic Kingdom Train Station
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 10:17 AM
 
6,981 posts, read 14,108,310 times
Reputation: 4581
LA:

1. Santa Monica Pier
2. Hollywood Sign
3. Hollywood Walk of Fame
4. Venice Beach Boardwalk
5. "VENICE" lights across the street
6. Sunset Strip
7. 405 traffic
8. Rodeo Drive
9. Disneyland
10. Third Street Promenade

To continue: Malibu beach scenes, Palm tree + sunset + mountain pics, Disney Concert Hall, possibly The Grove (one of those entertainment shows films there). As for the Walk of Fame, some of the individual theaters too since there are movie premiers at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 10:18 AM
 
37 posts, read 15,915 times
Reputation: 48
I personally think that NYC is really the only city that would pass this test if we really think about what an average American would know. Most people know next to nothing about cities that aren’t their own.
I can almost guarantee that most people wouldn’t recognize the Palace of Fine Arts or Pier 39. I also think that we would all be surprised how few people would recognize what we consider lindmarks like the Transamerica tower. Perhaps most people would have trouble identifying Chinatown from other chinatowns
Even DC with some obvious ones doesn’t quite make 10 I think.

Thinking for Philadelphia
1. Independence hall
2. Love statue in love park
3. 9th and passyunk (pats and Genos)
4. Art museum, but importantly the Rocky statue
5. Liberty bell (if you count this as being different than independence hall)

And I feel like that’s probably it. I don’t think most people would get Other obvious ones such as:
6. City hall
7. Maybe 30th Street station?
8. Any other cheesesteak place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 10:25 AM
 
6,981 posts, read 14,108,310 times
Reputation: 4581
Quote:
Originally Posted by frbrown View Post
I personally think that NYC is really the only city that would pass this test if we really think about what an average American would know. Most people know next to nothing about cities that arenít their own.
I can almost guarantee that most people wouldnít recognize the Palace of Fine Arts or Pier 39. I also think that we would all be surprised how few people would recognize what we consider lindmarks like the Transamerica tower. Perhaps most people would have trouble identifying Chinatown from other chinatowns
Even DC with some obvious ones doesnít quite make 10 I think.

Thinking for Philadelphia
1. Independence hall
2. Love statue in love park
3. 9th and passyunk (pats and Genos)
4. Art museum, but importantly the Rocky statue
5. Liberty bell (if you count this as being different than independence hall)

And I feel like thatís probably it. I donít think most people would get Other obvious ones such as:
6. City hall
7. Maybe 30th Street station?
8. Any other cheesesteak place
Elfreth's Alley
Maybe Independence Hall
I think some people would recognize the signature Philly Trinity or many of the rowhome neighborhoods. The streets are narrower than those in NYC and often straighter and flatter than those in Boston, and usually narrower also.

But yeah, Philly is iconic, but still hard to meet the 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 10:29 AM
 
2,166 posts, read 1,467,080 times
Reputation: 2176
I honestly don't think there is a single city that can really pass this as stated - where most people would be able to correctly identify 10 of those things from pictures. That's at least 51% of the general public -- a whole lot of people can't even find the USA on a globe. Now if you said "most travelers" then I think maybe a few cities could find 10 that would make it, but very few. For example, Ellis island was given as one example for NYC, but there is no way most people would be able to identify that from pictures. Ditto for things like Art Institiute of Chicago, Palace of Fine Arts, George Washington Bridge. I bet less than 25% of general public would get those type of lesser known ones, and maybe even far less. I don't even think 51 % of Americans would correctly ID a pic of Independence Hall. Am I too pessimistic?

Last edited by _Buster; 01-09-2019 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Downtown & Brooklyn!
2,123 posts, read 1,311,828 times
Reputation: 1831
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I honestly don't think there is a single city that can really pass this as stated - where most people would be able to correctly identify 10 of those things from pictures. That's at least 51% of the general public -- a whole lot of people can't even find the USA on a globe. Now if you said "most travelers" then I think maybe a few cities could find 10 that would make it, but very few. For example, Ellis island was given as one example for NYC, but there is no way most people would be able to identify that from pictures. Ditto for things like Art Institiute of Chicago, Palace of Fine Arts, George Washington Bridge. I bet less than 25% of general public would get those type of lesser known ones, and maybe even far less. I don't even think 51 % of Americans would correctly ID a pic of Independence Hall. Am I too pessimistic?
You really don’t think people know Ellis Island? I know sometimes people think that their local landmarks are more widely-recognized than they really are in reality, but I have a hard time believing that people don’t know Ellis Island... that’s more than just a local landmark...

GWB I can easily see someone not recognizing, but not Ellis Island.

Independence Hall alone I can see as well, but combined with the Liberty bell I think it’s a clear yes — for Americans at least — maybe not internationally so much.

I think you are being too pessimistic. But then someone else mentioned how many Americans can’t even point out The US on a map, so it’s definitely possible that I’m actually being too optimistic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 10:58 AM
 
2,166 posts, read 1,467,080 times
Reputation: 2176
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
You really don’t think people know Ellis Island? I know sometimes people think that their local landmarks are more widely-recognized than they really are in reality, but I have a hard time believing that people don’t know Ellis Island... that’s more than just a local landmark...

GWB I can easily see someone not recognizing, but not Ellis Island.

Independence Hall alone I can see as well, but combined with the Liberty bell I think it’s a clear yes — for Americans at least — maybe not internationally so much.

I think you are being too pessimistic. But then someone else mentioned how many Americans can’t even point out The US on a map, so it’s definitely possible that I’m actually being too optimistic...

Well the test is to recognize and identify it from a picture, not from the name. I think very very few people would get Ellis Island when shown a picture without giving away its location.. remember, the Statue of Liberty would not be in the pic since its on Liberty Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 10:58 AM
 
Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,986 posts, read 3,466,424 times
Reputation: 2461
Quote:
Originally Posted by frbrown View Post
I personally think that NYC is really the only city that would pass this test if we really think about what an average American would know. Most people know next to nothing about cities that aren’t their own.
I can almost guarantee that most people wouldn’t recognize the Palace of Fine Arts or Pier 39. I also think that we would all be surprised how few people would recognize what we consider lindmarks like the Transamerica tower. Perhaps most people would have trouble identifying Chinatown from other chinatowns
Even DC with some obvious ones doesn’t quite make 10 I think.
I’d say DC passes the easiest actually, as I believe it to be the most iconic and recognizable city in the United States of America. With SF, LA, Chicago and New York being the others.

For DC:

1. Capitol Building
2. The White House
3. Washington monument
4. Supreme Court
5. The National Mall
6. Smithsonian Castle
7. Old Post Office tower
8. Lincoln Memorial
9. Jefferson Memorial
10. MLK Memorial

For shts and giggles I’ll keep going...

11. Hirshorn Museum
12. Iwo Jima Memorial
13. The Pentagon
14. The National Cathedral
15. Basilica of the National Shrine
16. Georgetown University Healy Hall
17. The Exorcist steps (Georgetown)
18. Howard University clock tower and yard
19. The National Archives building
20. The FBI Headquarters
21. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial wall
22. The World War II Memorial and fountain
23. The African American History and Culture Smithsonian Museum
24. RFK stadium
25. Union Station entrance

I could keep typing this list but fingers are getting tired...

Last edited by the resident09; 01-09-2019 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top