U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 11:51 AM

10,558 posts, read 13,124,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Really?
I've been to SF many times, never seen that in person or a picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 11:51 AM

37 posts, read 15,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The Pentagon actually has a Washington DC address and zip code although physically located across the river.
very interesting! I did not know that

Old 01-09-2019, 11:57 AM

800 posts, read 291,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Same. It is used in movies as a backdrop for San Francisco, but only after a shot of the bridge or cable cars to establish the place.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:36 PM

5,907 posts, read 6,542,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
LA:

1. Santa Monica Pier
2. Hollywood Sign
3. Hollywood Walk of Fame
4. Venice Beach Boardwalk
5. "VENICE" lights across the street
6. Sunset Strip
7. 405 traffic
8. Rodeo Drive
9. Disneyland
10. Third Street Promenade

To continue: Malibu beach scenes, Palm tree + sunset + mountain pics, Disney Concert Hall, possibly The Grove (one of those entertainment shows films there). As for the Walk of Fame, some of the individual theaters too since there are movie premiers at them.
I would definitely put Griffith Observatory and Hollywwod Bowl high on the list. I think a very strong one would be MacArthur Park. Both the Collisem and Dodger Stadium very well recognized. Farmers Market? LA city hall would also be strong. Weaker: the Queem Mary. Weakest by far, but still feel argument could be made: Royce Hall, UCLA

Old 01-09-2019, 12:39 PM

Surprised nobody took a shot with Boston

Old 01-09-2019, 12:49 PM

6,972 posts, read 14,100,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I would definitely put Griffith Observatory and Hollywwod Bowl high on the list. I think a very strong one would be MacArthur Park. Both the Collisem and Dodger Stadium very well recognized. Farmers Market? LA city hall would also be strong. Weaker: the Queem Mary. Weakest by far, but still feel argument could be made: Royce Hall, UCLA
Ah yeah forgot about Griffith. TBH I didn't know that many people knew what the Hollywood Bowl looked like outside LA. Same with Farmer's Market. I think only us on here would know LA City Hall. Coliseum yeah I did forget that, and on that note the Rose Bowl. I think we also know Queen Mary and UCLA, but idk if everyone would since they do look sorta similar to others, but distinct enough that people from LA would know. MacArthur Park without the LA skyline would not be recognizable. With the skyline in view, definitely, but that would be a giveaway for a lot of LA locales. Dodger Stadium--would enough outside of baseball fans know it without the name shown? I mean I guess same goes for Rose Bowl, but then again same goes for all stadiums with a team name.

One more I can think of is the cemented over river lol. What other city has such a terrible looking river through its city, with those iconic bridges going over it? Would people know Watts Towers?

Old 01-09-2019, 12:50 PM

The problem with starting a thread last ke this that is designed to ellicit answers is that it is difficult to include all perameters. You end up realizing too late or another forumer brings up what you may have left out.

A few of you rightfully corrected me on the idea that “just about everybody would recognize this place. Obviously a far broader range of thngs. Mybe I should have said people who are interested in cities or something along those lines.

At any rate, interpret as you choose....but definitely throw out my original “just about everybody”

Old 01-09-2019, 01:14 PM

23,111 posts, read 35,052,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
How sad.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title?lo..._=ttloc_loc_11

Last edited by Iconographer; 01-09-2019 at 01:29 PM..

Old 01-09-2019, 01:16 PM

4,490 posts, read 2,674,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Really?
Nice spot, which I've walked through. But I doubt the average person knows about it.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:24 PM

23,111 posts, read 35,052,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Surprised nobody took a shot with Boston
OK, I'll bite.

Fanueil Hall
Old North Church
Boston Common
Beacon Hill
Fenway Park
Back Bay
Bunker Hill Monument

I tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or