U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 03:49 PM

562 posts, read 542,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Yeah, I couldn't even come up with five.

I thought of New Orleans...while I could come up with some, I couldn't come up with ten...
I do think New Orleans qualifies. The city is so distinct, it's immediately identifiable in film and pictures. You can point to any of these below and others, and I think the average person would go, oh that's New Orleans!

Jackson Square
French Quarter (just generally)
Cafe Du Monde/French Market
The (Mercedes-Benz) Superdome
Garden District (just generally)
Streetcar (specifically, St. Charles Streetcar line)
Canal Street
Audubon Park
Magazine St.
The Natchez Steamboat

Not to mentions swamps, cemeteries, or at a stretch, the famed surrounding plantations like Houma House and Oak Alley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 05:30 PM

4,492 posts, read 2,685,055 times
I'd get about three, and I've been to NO.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:00 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,314,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Well the test is to recognize and identify it from a picture, not from the name. I think very very few people would get Ellis Island when shown a picture without giving away its location.. remember, the Statue of Liberty would not be in the pic since its on Liberty Island.
I’m aware that the Statue of Liberty is located on a separate island. I still find it hard to believe that most people would not know what Ellis Island is. I was going to post a picture for reference but I don’t even think it’s rly necessary.

If by chance I am being optimistic then replace Ellis island with The UN. But I don’t think I’m being too local in calling Ellis Island a famous landmark. And if people tell me that most people don’t know The United Nations then I give up on this thread... lol. And the general public too.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 01-09-2019 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Autocorrect

Old 01-09-2019, 06:12 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,099,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Tried...and did well. Perhaps: swan boats, Paul Revereís house, Harvard Square. More of a stretch: MITís main bldg on the Charles, Boston Pops bandshell on the Charles (last one very weak)
I would have included the iconic Harvard campus, except that it is in Cambridge.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:16 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,099,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
I do think New Orleans qualifies. The city is so distinct, it's immediately identifiable in film and pictures. You can point to any of these below and others, and I think the average person would go, oh that's New Orleans!

Jackson Square
French Quarter (just generally)
Cafe Du Monde/French Market
The (Mercedes-Benz) Superdome
Garden District (just generally)

Streetcar (specifically, St. Charles Streetcar line)
Canal Street
Audubon Park
Magazine St.
The Natchez Steamboat

Not to mentions swamps, cemeteries, or at a stretch, the famed surrounding plantations like Houma House and Oak Alley.
The bolded are the ones I came up with (I also thought about Brennan's and Preservation Hall); I'm not so sure how well the others are known on a national or international level.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:58 PM

454 posts, read 156,043 times
San Diego probably has 4 recognizable places to the average person; however, these are by no means iconic so it's hard to say.
Balboa Park
San Diego Zoo
Seaworld
Legoland

These are known, but not as iconic.
Hotel Del Coronado/Coronado generally
Gaslamp Quarter
La Jolla Cove
Mission San Diego
Midway Museum (aircraft carrier)
Old Town

Architecture fans would know the Salk Institute and Geisel Library.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:52 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,431,716 times
Boston:

Park Street church / Common
State house
Old state house
Paul revere / North Church
Custom house tower
Citgo / Fenway Park
Footbridge and lagoon; Public Garden
Copley Square
Zakim Bridge
Quincy Market / Faneuil Hall

Iconic Boston locales. Would most Americans place them? Unlikely. New York, Washington, S Francisco yes—er, maybe. Ten is a high bar!

Old 01-09-2019, 11:29 PM

1,244 posts, read 1,599,158 times
Philly

Independence Hall
Liberty Bell
Art museum and it's steps
Elfereth's Alley
Betsy Ross house
Ben Franklin Parkway
Penn's Landing
City Hall
Pats and Genos
Reading terminal Market

Old 01-10-2019, 12:11 AM

1,233 posts, read 513,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
San Diego probably has 4 recognizable places to the average person; however, these are by no means iconic so it's hard to say.
Balboa Park
San Diego Zoo
Seaworld
Legoland

These are known, but not as iconic.
Hotel Del Coronado/Coronado generally
Gaslamp Quarter
La Jolla Cove
Mission San Diego
Midway Museum (aircraft carrier)
Old Town

Architecture fans would know the Salk Institute and Geisel Library.
Seeing San Diego is my hometown, and I'm the biggest believer that the average person won't recognize most of what mentioned in these posts I felt compelled to respond.

While Balboa Park is one of the best urban parks, and is at the top of enough lists to back it up, I don't know how many would recognize a picture of it. This actually goes for pretty much every urban park with the exception of Central Park, unless more is shown to give away the city,

The San Diego Zoo is probably the best known zoo in America. You can make an argument for the Bronx Zoo, but its definitely not off of quality or setting between the two. With the exception of maybe showing a picture of a panda, I don't know how anyone would pick out the San Diego Zoo. Even then I believe there's a couple of others with pandas too.

Sea World San Diego was the original, but I believe most would associate it with Orlando just on the number of people that visit each city. Maybe I'm wrong?

I can't really comment on Legoland. While I've been there more times than I can count, I don't know how well known it is? It's also relatively young at 20 years old. I don't doubt people could pick out many pictures from there, just don't know how many know it's a theme park in San Diego.

As for the rest it's very specific.

My wife and I got married at the Hotel Del Coronado and her family from New York and New England, most of whom have never been here, all knew of it and stayed there. I think this is the exception. I'm not about to say it's well known to the average American just because of the example I gave.

The Gaslamp is known to anyone that has come here for a convention, or someone that likes to party. But even many of those probably couldn't pick it out of a picture lineup.

I'm not gonna kid myself and think anyone who doesn't have knowledge of the La Jolla Cove and its seals would pick it out.

The same goes for the Mission. Although it was the first birthplace of California, that doesn't mean squat to most Americans. I mix it up and go to mass there a few times a year and know it well, but I wouldn't be surprised it people said it's the Alamo if shown a picture, lol. I think I'll do this with some customers tomorrow.

The Midway museum and Old Town no one would recognize.

Besides the architectural buffs, the Giesel (Dr. Seuss) library at UCSD might of been better recognized back in the 80's when it was on the opening credits of Tv's Simon and Simon, but they'd wouldn't know what it was, just that's it's in San Diego.

It would be refreshing if people could be this honest about their city, but I highly doubt it.

Last edited by TacoSoup; 01-10-2019 at 12:20 AM..

Old 01-10-2019, 04:48 AM

5,941 posts, read 6,560,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I would have included the iconic Harvard campus, except that it is in Cambridge.
I know. Same would be so with MIT which I also included. But in a number of responses on this thread, people have been including something not within city limits. The Pentagon, the Rose Bowl....hell, everything on the Las Vegas strip (which isn't in LV)

I think doing so works well enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or