Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 10:18 PM

821 posts, read 752,422 times

Advertisements

Buffalo:

Chicken Wings
Crazy snowfall
Crazy cold
Crazy sports fans
Crazy Last-call
Niagara Falls
Post-industrial factory town
University at Buffalo
Timothy McVeigh maybe?
Either you think of Canadian influence or you think we are a NYC suburb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 10:36 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,105,869 times
San Diego
- Zoo
- Balboa Park
- Seaworld
- Weather
- Beaches
- Surfing/skating (board culture)
- Military
- Top Gun
- Tijuana/Mexico
- Mexican food
- Anchorman....stay classy San Diego

Old 01-09-2019, 11:04 PM

10,118 posts, read 15,784,451 times
My Current City - Baton Rouge

1. Louisiana's state capital
2. Home of LSU

Hometown - New Orleans
1. Bourbon Street
2. French Quarter
3. Mardi Gras
4. excellent food (though they get Cajun and Creole confused)
5. jazz music
6. riverboats
7. streetcars
8. public music performances/marching bands
9. Hurricane Katrina/ below sea level geography
10. French heritage (though the Spanish heritage is less known)

Former City - Baltimore
1. Lots of crime
2. Freddie Gray riots
3. crabcakes
4. famous aquarium

Former City - CHarleston WV
Most people don't even know this city despite being the capital of WV. People think the only Charleston is in South Carolina

Old 01-09-2019, 11:06 PM

10,118 posts, read 15,784,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Philadelphia:

1. The Liberty Bell
2. Independence Hall
3. Rocky
4. Cheesesteaks
5. Comcast
6. Reading Terminal Market
7. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
8. The American Revolution
9. Seasonal temperatures
10. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air (specifically, the "In West Philadelphia, born and raised" line)
Wouldn't have though Comcast or Reading Terminal Market or "seasonal tempreature". Never watched Bel Air or Always Sunny.

I do know about Mumia Abu Jamal and about Philly's crime issues, about the jail under the Eagles stadium and Eagles fans booing Santa Claus.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:25 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,204,659 times
Not my city I live... just did in my past and a favorite.

"Sears (Willis) Tower"
"The Bean" or officially "Cloud Gate"
"Second City" comedy or nickname
"Windy City" nickname again
"Deep Dish Pizza"
"The Blues"
Al Capone and mafia era (really was a New Yorker)
O'Hare airport
Skyscrapers
Navy Pier
Wrigley building
Songs - "My kind of Town Chicago is" and "Chicago Chicago that Toddling' Town" (the older crowd)
"Chicago" the musical movie and "All that Jazz"

Old 01-09-2019, 11:45 PM

1,094 posts, read 792,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
All good except the last four:

—I’d swap Broadway for Hip-Hop, which could just as easily now be LA or Atlanta, thought it did start here. But Broadway music is always New York.
—Instead of multiculturalism (obviously true) I’d say Jewish. In my travels most people seem aware that this is the biggest Jewish city in the world and know of the cultural contributions Jews have made here—and by extension to the rest of the country.
—Manhattan instead of the five boroughs, because most people have no idea what Staten Island is.
—And not the stereotypical ‘New York’ accent, which is disappearing. But I would add for No. 10, the Empire State. No longer the tallest, but undoubtedly still the most famous building here.
Italian and Puerto Rican are also big contributors to the frabric of NYC culture. Italian's modernized the accent with a more aggressive sound to the dutch varients of the accent and of course NY Pizza. Puerto Ricans despite being relevtivly recent arrivals played a huge part in NYC culture with being the main enclave in the Bronx, with inventing the term Nuyorican, celebrities like Jlo and Fat Joe are examples of Nyc ricans being represented, and are pretty much found in every hood\public housing unit in NYC. Chinese culture can be thrown in their two which pretty much responsible for why NY has two Chinatowns and re-defining American Chinesse food with spare ribs. As far as music goes, Broadway is more mainstream than hip-hop but hip-hop was born and bread in NYC so it 's as to NY as Jazz is to New Orleans.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:41 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,131,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Italian and Puerto Rican are also big contributors to the frabric of NYC culture. Italian's modernized the accent with a more aggressive sound to the dutch varients of the accent and of course NY Pizza. Puerto Ricans despite being relevtivly recent arrivals played a huge part in NYC culture with being the main enclave in the Bronx, with inventing the term Nuyorican, celebrities like Jlo and Fat Joe are examples of Nyc ricans being represented, and are pretty much found in every hood\public housing unit in NYC. Chinese culture can be thrown in their two which pretty much responsible for why NY has two Chinatowns and re-defining American Chinesse food with spare ribs. As far as music goes, Broadway is more mainstream than hip-hop but hip-hop was born and bread in NYC so it 's as to NY as Jazz is to New Orleans.
New York has about 25 things, I would add
the Brooklyn Bridge,
World Trade Center,
Apollo Theater,
Radio City Hall,
Madison Square Garden,
the Hamptons,
Long Island,
The Yankees,
The Rockefeller Center (ice skating)
Fashion Industry,
JFK/LA Guardia,
Macy's,
Ole Blue Eyes

Old 01-10-2019, 01:25 AM

23,318 posts, read 43,781,735 times
Atlanta:

Martin Luther King Jr.
Predominantly black leadership
1996 Olympics
Hip-Hop
H-J Airport
Georgia Tech, Spelman and Morehouse Colleges
Stone Mountain
CNN
Gone With The Wind
Getting burned down by Sherman

Old 01-10-2019, 06:20 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,135,981 times
Milwaukee:

Beer
Harley Davidson
German
Lake Michigan
Cold
Summerfest
Brats
Festivals
Segregation (or is this list for only positive things?)
Alice Cooper's line; "The good land" in Wayne's World

Old 01-10-2019, 06:48 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,196,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
+++ agreed all around. I’ve heard the ATL argument before but never heard of giving hip-hop to LA... that’s a new one for me. I don’t know if most people can name every borough, but I’d think people would at least know Brooklyn, and maybe heard of Queens/The Bronx too. Staten Island I can see people not knowing though.

Also pretty sure that people know we have more than just Jewish people too. But speaking of Chinese, there was a thread on here a while back that made me believe that a lot of people are not aware of the large Chinese population, history, and influence here, which was really surprising to me. And I expect the people on here to be more informed than the average person.

Sometimes it’s hard to know exactly what the average outsider knows about your city, but do you think that living in a different region of the country gives you a better idea of how much outsiders know? I imagine that telling people that you’re from NYC you must get some comments + questions from people sometimes which can give you a better idea of what people think/know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.