Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 03:42 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4 View Post
San Antonio

1. The Alamo
2. Spurs
3. Riverwalk
4. Hispanics
5. Military
6. Fiesta
7. SeaWorld
8. Tex-Mex food
9. Six Flags Fiesta Texas
10. Tourists

In no specific order except The Alamo and Spurs since that’s the first thing I think people remember about SA.
Had no idea that San Antonio has a sea world. Don’t know what fiesta is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 05:20 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,562,454 times
For St. Louis:

1. Gateway Arch
2. Budweiser
3. Clydesdales
4. St. Louis Zoo
5. Ferguson riots/crime
6. Barbecue
7. Blues music
8. Red brick
9. Shrinking population
10. Mardi Gras

Old 01-12-2019, 02:03 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
San Jose, CA:

1. It’s expensive. This has to be #1 because up until a few years ago, San Jose wasn’t famous for anything. Now it’s famous for being expensive. It’s probably still the only thing we’re famous for (with maybe tech a distant 2nd), but I’ll try to come up with 10.
2. Tech
3. Winchester Mystery House ()
4. Most Vietnamese people of any city in the US (But even then, Orange County tries to steal our thunder by combining every city in their county and saying they have more)
5. It has an airport
6. Full of crime (But not really...San Jose is just about the safest big city but for some reason, most people I’ve talked to from elsewhere think it’s extremely dangerous. )
7. It flooded a few years ago
8. San Francisco is nearby
9. Palo Alto is nearby
10. Mountain View is nearby

Old 01-12-2019, 09:13 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Minneapolis:
  • Mall of America is in a nearby suburb
  • Cold winters
  • Cold winters
  • Cold winters
  • Cold winters
  • Cold winters
  • Cold winters
  • Cold winters
  • Cold winters
  • Cold winters

People outside of the Upper Midwest really don't know anything about Minneapolis.
Speaking as an outsider:

The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Prince
Northernmost major city on the Mississippi
Skybridges

Old 01-12-2019, 10:40 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
San Jose, CA:

1. It’s expensive. This has to be #1 because up until a few years ago, San Jose wasn’t famous for anything. Now it’s famous for being expensive. It’s probably still the only thing we’re famous for (with maybe tech a distant 2nd), but I’ll try to come up with 10.
2. Tech
3. Winchester Mystery House ()
4. Most Vietnamese people of any city in the US (But even then, Orange County tries to steal our thunder by combining every city in their county and saying they have more)
5. It has an airport
6. Full of crime (But not really...San Jose is just about the safest big city but for some reason, most people I’ve talked to from elsewhere think it’s extremely dangerous. )
7. It flooded a few years ago
8. San Francisco is nearby
9. Palo Alto is nearby
10. Mountain View is nearby
I think tech is the only thing it is famous for and it's more the "Silicon Valley" moniker versus San Jose city. Frankly, I'm not sure people understand there is actually that much tech in San Jose versus Palo Alto, Mountain View, etc. As for expensive, that perception really applies to the entire bay area and, generally, all of coastal California.

No one knows about the airport, flood, vietnamese population, and Winchester Mystery House. I say this as a Californian. There is no chance then average person outside of California knows this. I think San Diego is the safest big city, but either way, the only people who have an opinion of "unsafe San Jose" are misinformed bay area people who live in exclusive suburban neighborhoods.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:59 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I think tech is the only thing it is famous for and it's more the "Silicon Valley" moniker versus San Jose city. Frankly, I'm not sure people understand there is actually that much tech in San Jose versus Palo Alto, Mountain View, etc. As for expensive, that perception really applies to the entire bay area and, generally, all of coastal California.
Well, I did say that I wasn’t sure there was anything beyond maybe 1-2. I agree that many people think of SV more so than SJ itself for tech which is why I posted tech as a distant second. All of the Bay Area/Coastal CA is famous for being expensive but in recent years when I talk to people from elsewhere and I say I’m from San Jose, everyone knows what it is and more often than not I get a comment about how expensive it is. Whereas previously I used to get a fair amount of people who didn’t even know what or where SJ is. Anyway, yes other cities (I.e. SF) are probably more famously expensive, but they’re also famous for other things. SJ is only famous for being expensive.

Quote:
No one knows about the airport, flood, vietnamese population, and Winchester Mystery House. I say this as a Californian. There is no chance then average person outside of California knows this. I think San Diego is the safest big city, but either way, the only people who have an opinion of "unsafe San Jose" are misinformed bay area people who live in exclusive suburban neighborhoods.
It isn’t a particularly famous airport but people know it exists. People know about the flood because that actually made national news. Acquaintances from where I used to live were reaching out and checking on me when that happened. I listed the Winchester Mystery house because it’s literally the only thing that San Jose knows how to advertise about itself (which is also why I added that icon.) San Jose and San Diego have both been the safest big city at some points in the recent past.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:33 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
as someone in the bay area pretty often for work and stay at times by the new santa clara stadium and in Palo Alto often (more time Burligame, SF, San Mateo though) SJ is fairly non descript for as large, influential, and expensive as it is

honestly and this is no slight Monterrey conjures more images for me

I would not say Vietnamese (just more Asian and not solely one group)

Expensive - yes (images of way expensive ranchers comes to mind)
Tech - Yes

beyond not sure

The flood I don't remember
the mystery house while have heard of it have no idea where it is
airport (for me no directs home so I hardly use, almost always SFO for me even when going to Santa Clara) not so much
SF close - absolutely
full of crime - honestly my perception would be the exact opposite

as for Palo Alto I think more Stanford
Mountain view to me is apple I believe but may be wrong

SJ to me as top of mind is expensive and tech with a ton of (interesting) stuff nearby; while non descript it has a lot of nice areas with a few interesting little DTs (SJ included) seems like a great place to live especially in the right industries (I am in Pharma which is sort of second fiddle albeit strong in the area)

Oakland to me has stronger images as a secondary city in the bay though that may change with time

one other thing; SJ can be hot when SF is cold; something that comes to mind but also comes with a SF association of sorts

Old 01-12-2019, 02:45 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Well, I did say that I wasn’t sure there was anything beyond maybe 1-2. I agree that many people think of SV more so than SJ itself for tech which is why I posted tech as a distant second. All of the Bay Area/Coastal CA is famous for being expensive but in recent years when I talk to people from elsewhere and I say I’m from San Jose, everyone knows what it is and more often than not I get a comment about how expensive it is. Whereas previously I used to get a fair amount of people who didn’t even know what or where SJ is. Anyway, yes other cities (I.e. SF) are probably more famously expensive, but they’re also famous for other things. SJ is only famous for being expensive.

It isn’t a particularly famous airport but people know it exists. People know about the flood because that actually made national news. Acquaintances from where I used to live were reaching out and checking on me when that happened. I listed the Winchester Mystery house because it’s literally the only thing that San Jose knows how to advertise about itself (which is also why I added that icon.) San Jose and San Diego have both been the safest big city at some points in the recent past.
Seems like we mostly agree

I personally didn't hear about the flood, even with a spouse in emergency management. There have been a lot of very big disasters lately. Nonetheless, anecdotal and just my own experience.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:53 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
as someone in the bay area pretty often for work and stay at times by the new santa clara stadium and in Palo Alto often (more time Burligame, SF, San Mateo though) SJ is fairly non descript for as large, influential, and expensive as it is

honestly and this is no slight Monterrey conjures more images for me

I would not say Vietnamese (just more Asian and not solely one group)

Expensive - yes (images of way expensive ranchers comes to mind)
Tech - Yes

beyond not sure

The flood I don't remember
the mystery house while have heard of it have no idea where it is
airport (for me no directs home so I hardly use, almost always SFO for me even when going to Santa Clara) not so much
SF close - absolutely
full of crime - honestly my perception would be the exact opposite

as for Palo Alto I think more Stanford
Mountain view to me is apple I believe but may be wrong

SJ to me as top of mind is expensive and tech with a ton of (interesting) stuff nearby; while non descript it has a lot of nice areas with a few interesting little DTs (SJ included) seems like a great place to live especially in the right industries (I am in Pharma which is sort of second fiddle albeit strong in the area)

Oakland to me has stronger images as a secondary city in the bay though that may change with time

one other thing; SJ can be hot when SF is cold; something that comes to mind but also comes with a SF association of sorts
Downtown SJ is not little. Very comparable to Center City, if not even nicer

Old 01-12-2019, 07:08 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
San Diego, California-

1. There are more MTS Trolley (light rail) stations in San Diego County than there are BART stations in the Bay Area. Nine more are under construction.

2. San Diego has two intermodal transit centers (Santa Fe and Old Town) within city limits.

3. San Diego has some of the best asian food/grocery in the country in north/central SD. It doesn't get any attention because it's in a suburban part of town and doesn't have trendy name, but it is densely packed with places that I"d put up against LA/Bay Area/Seattle.

4. You can absolutely live here without a car (I have one, it's been sitting idle so long I went down today to check to see if it still started).

5. Amtrak is only big in the northeast, right? Wrong. There are TWELVE daily departures from San Diego to Los Angeles a day. You can easily go up in the morning, have a jam packed day in L.A. (because they have amazing mass transit, you won't need a car there) and come back at night, getting drunk on craft beer on the train as it skirts the ocean (it doesn't do this on the east coast).

That's all I got now, 10 is tough.
How would the average outsider know all that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.