U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:28 PM

4,480 posts, read 2,661,399 times

Advertisements

Building upon the "10 places" thread, this one widens the topic...not just places but also characteristics, companies, trends, and so on. What are ten things about your city that at least half of the people in the country would know (or half of the people who got past high school and have traveled at least 500 miles from home)? Please don't list sports teams...too easy.

For Seattle I struggled past 2-3 of the "places." But here goes with the broader list:
-Space Needle
-Pike Place Market
-Rain
-Grunge (so called)
-Coffee or Starbucks
-Tech or Amazon/Microsoft
-Boeing
-Mt. Rainier or mountains
-Ferries
-Left-leaning politics
-Gates Foundation (#11 if needed)

Last edited by mhays25; 01-09-2019 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 01:40 PM

3,768 posts, read 2,553,386 times
Los Angeles

1. SoCal Traffic
2. Hollywood
3. Palm Trees
4. Sunny Weather
5. Beaches
6. Mexicans lol
7. Smog
8. Hollywood Hills (Santa Monica Mtns)
9. Homeless Lmao
10. Non Judgemental people live and let live a.k.a what you see down Hollywood Blvd at night

I'll add no where in the country are you going to find better looking cars, Miami would be the next best when it comes to cars. There's something about nice winters, Beaches, and sunlight that brings out the nicest cars.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:43 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
I am wondering if for this and the other thread people should be goven a city and list the places or things

as residents our lists may be very different of our own place

on the Seattle list I can buy into the first 9, 10 and 11 while making sense are not as top of mind for me

I always associate Hendrix with Seattle but maybe because I was a fan

Old 01-09-2019, 02:49 PM

1,034 posts, read 724,168 times
Philadelphia:

1. The Liberty Bell
2. Independence Hall
3. Rocky
4. Cheesesteaks
5. Comcast
6. Reading Terminal Market
7. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
8. The American Revolution
9. Seasonal temperatures
10. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air (specifically, the "In West Philadelphia, born and raised" line)

Old 01-09-2019, 03:00 PM

4,480 posts, read 2,661,399 times
Movies and TV shows are an interesting point. Rocky counts twice...the movie and the steps.

Seattle doesn't have a Rocky-level item, but Sleepless in Seattle, Frasier, whatever that hospital show is called, and a few others come to mind.

Philly has others...Trading Places is a good one, though it might not be universally associated with the city.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:19 PM

17,662 posts, read 4,058,482 times
Midland, Texas
1. George H.W. Bush lived here at one point
2. George W. Bush is from here
3. Baby Jessica fell down the well here.
4. Lots of oil jobs
5. Fracking
6. Landscape of pumpjacks.
7. Clayton Williams who ran for governor of Texas in 1990 is from here.
8. Rattlesnakes live here
9. We have very hot summers
10. Haboobs.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:37 PM

3,768 posts, read 2,553,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Philadelphia:

1. The Liberty Bell
2. Independence Hall
3. Rocky
4. Cheesesteaks
5. Comcast
6. Reading Terminal Market
7. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
8. The American Revolution
9. Seasonal temperatures
10. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air (specifically, the "In West Philadelphia, born and raised" line)
Hey, you definitely can not have the Fresh Prince he moved to a better place for a reason, no need to go back. lol

Old 01-09-2019, 08:04 PM

340 posts, read 105,605 times
For NYC is
Times sq
Central Park
9/11
Statue of Liberty
Subways
Taxis
Hip-Hop
Multi culturalism
5 boros
New York accent

I don't live in NYC currently but am originally from there and I live in a small town now so I can't use my current location for a national indication.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:58 PM

92 posts, read 36,076 times
Salt lake:

Mormons
Olympics
Mountains
Fry sauce
Dirty winter air (inversion)
First KFC (people may not know this)
Great Salt Lake
Park City
Sundance Film Festival
High Altitude

Old 01-09-2019, 09:07 PM

4,264 posts, read 6,343,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
For NYC is
Times sq
Central Park
9/11
Statue of Liberty
Subways
Taxis
Hip-Hop
Multi culturalism
5 boros
New York accent

I don't live in NYC currently but am originally from there and I live in a small town now so I can't use my current location for a national indication.
All good except the last four:

—I’d swap Broadway for Hip-Hop, which could just as easily now be LA or Atlanta, thought it did start here. But Broadway music is always New York.
—Instead of multiculturalism (obviously true) I’d say Jewish. In my travels most people seem aware that this is the biggest Jewish city in the world and know of the cultural contributions Jews have made here—and by extension to the rest of the country.
—Manhattan instead of the five boroughs, because most people have no idea what Staten Island is.
—And not the stereotypical ‘New York’ accent, which is disappearing. But I would add for No. 10, the Empire State. No longer the tallest, but undoubtedly still the most famous building here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or