U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 02:53 PM

14 posts, read 3,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Meraaa, do you understand that if you change states, you will need to live in your new state for at least 1 year before you can get resident college tuition rates? Proving residency includes changing all your ID, filing taxes in the new state, showing utility bills in your name, etc. If you don't wait a year and do these things, you will pay non-resident rates = $$$
Thank you for your time to reply to my post with your consideration. Actually that was a something I considered too, but I have read in different website people saying in state tution and out state its all about citizens not permanent resident as well because if I lived a year in a state it still doesn't mean I'm from there, but other opinion sayings u never know untill you apply because if you make a phone call to the college to make sure you qualify for in state tution or not sometimes on phone saying your are not but when u apply they accept that you r forgien and can have in state tution. That makes me worried as well. because I don't need to waste other year but when I read about TN colleges i found its rank so low not sure if that affect on my future resume or not if not i don't mind to stay and study here but noone can answer that question for me.
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If leaving Nashville because of the under-educated masses Florida is not the place to go, trust me on that (and the statistics). Colorado does offer more sunny days which isn't exclusive to warm weather, however it's not really affordable if considering rental costs versus salaries (again like Florida). Check out a place like Durham NC which is well-educated (among the top few cities in the US), has affordable rent versus average salaries, has a good community college (Durham Technical Community College), and an excellent job market for skilled labor plus generally decent weather (a bit warmer than Nashville).
U know what! I felt you reading my mind because I were considered NC before CO or FL. And still closer to where I am now. Thanks for sharing your suggestion with me I'll note it again.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:01 PM

5,409 posts, read 2,816,274 times
Cinco Rancho or Parkhollow.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
CO is sunny, but it's cold and chilly much of the year too. The dryness makes for cold nights and mornings as the temperatures are able to dramatically drop. It's also hard on the skin and sinuses because they need more moisture than the state ever provides. The intense sunlight increases the chance of skin cancer too (been there, done that)

CO is more expensive than the south, plain and simple. It's a great place to burn up savings too (been there, done that).

As far as education goes, if you're more educated than most, you have an advantage. It everyone is equal or "smarter" in a new location, expect competition for jobs like you've never seen before. Also, being more educated does not mean friendlier. Many in CO come from the north, and have a cold edge to them. People in the warmer south tend to be more down-to-earth, natural, and yes, even friendly.

Above all, never move without heavily researching and visiting a potential location first. Otherwise, you'll create more problems for yourself, and lose more money in the process.
Thanks for your suggestions. Yes you absolutely right I thought maybe hard communications here cuz of low education rate but of course it's not works like that. Like you said. I'd rethink again because I don't want to move again after a while. Thanks this is why I asked help from people here. Of course you know better

Old 01-10-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Very Rude, and Unnecessary. The OP is obviously from a different country where promptly english is not the lingua franca. Maybe you're from Nashville?

I would suggest Atlanta, or the Texas metros.
Thank you appreciate your response and your suggestion.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
I'd second Durham (and not just because I used to teach at Durham Tech ). Kind of meh Back in the Day, it's now loaded w/ good restaurants, coffee shops, etc. and has a sort of "laid back but up & coming" vibe. Proximity to RTP as well as lots of meds/eds related employment in the city itself make for a good job market.
Athens, GA may be another location that meets your criteria, but yes, Durham, for sure.
Thank you for your suggestion. Actually i were thinking about NC too it was my first state to try. especially because it's closer to where I am now. What I concern about education to make sure if I moved i can get in state tuition some people says I can some tells I can not and I'm not sure how can I make sure if i am qualify to call the college ir give them a visit or what. I know people they moved and told me it tottaly depend on the empolyee sometimes they agree tp give u in state tution sometimes not there is no rule about that for permanent resident like my case.

But can I ask you question
Does Durham has dangerous hurricane? Because that what makes me concern moving there. I read about NC hit by hurriecan a lot too but I like what you said about their weather. That's exactly what I'm lookin for about weather.
Thanks again I'll consider it back to my list

Old 01-10-2019, 03:20 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,323,805 times
Meera,
Are you retired now?
,dave

Old 01-10-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Meera,
Are you retired now?
,dave
No, we are young couple need to start and plan for our future.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:33 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,428,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraaa View Post
I have read in different website people saying in state tution and out state its all about citizens not permanent resident as well because if I lived a year in a state it still doesn't mean I'm from there
Being a US Resident (Green Card holder/Permanent Resident) is NOT the same as being a state resident. Even citizens who were born in the US need to be residents of their new state to apply for college and qualify for in-state tuition.

However, it is public colleges (State colleges or Community Colleges) that are strict about state residency. But if you can get into a private college ($$$) and maybe get financial aid from them, they may waive the residency requirement.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Being a US Resident (Green Card holder/Permanent Resident) is NOT the same as being a state resident. Even citizens who were born in the US need to be residents of their new state to apply for college and qualify for in-state tuition.

However, it is public colleges (State colleges or Community Colleges) that are strict about state residency. But if you can get into a private college ($$$) and maybe get financial aid from them, they may waive the residency requirement.
Oh yes I got you. that what i concern now.
thanks for explaining all of that for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or