Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:19 AM

26 posts, read 38,209 times

Advertisements

I know sounds funny, But it's true. I have packed my luggage before even decide where to go. It's my first year living in states I live now in Nashville,TN weather here r super cool for me but life here is not good for me cuz of the following:
Most people not educated which makes hard to deal with.
Shops close by 9 pm nothing to do around here after.
Job market only about worker there is not so much opportunity for professional careers.
Community college here not ranked high and I need to go back to school wish if it has good rank and reputation to be able have a nice job after.

My search was about Florida and Colorado I know both are so diffrent especially in weather. I need to know if CO is that bad cold or is it mild, cuz some people saying its sunny which makes me confusing. I wish if i can move to Florida but I never had hurricane before and affraid if that happen while I'm there I need to resettle down not to move again after few months.that's why i prefer Colorado but concern it's weather i like long summer sunny days more than snow.
Can you help me which is better please because I'm new in states and need your help even if you have other suggestions.you are more than welcome to share it here What I'm looking for.
Long summer sunny state
Good education.
Good job market.
Affordable living cost because I'll study and work.
Thanks in advance.
Your response are highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 05:21 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
If leaving Nashville because of the under-educated masses Florida is not the place to go, trust me on that (and the statistics). Colorado does offer more sunny days which isn't exclusive to warm weather, however it's not really affordable if considering rental costs versus salaries (again like Florida). Check out a place like Durham NC which is well-educated (among the top few cities in the US), has affordable rent versus average salaries, has a good community college (Durham Technical Community College), and an excellent job market for skilled labor plus generally decent weather (a bit warmer than Nashville).

Old 01-10-2019, 05:57 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraaa View Post
I know sounds funny, But it's true. I have packed my luggage before even decide where to go. It's my first year living in states I live now in Nashville,TN weather here r super cool for me but life here is not good for me cuz of the following:
Most people not educated which makes hard to deal with.
Shops close by 9 pm nothing to do around here after.
Job market only about worker there is not so much opportunity for professional careers.
Community college here not ranked high and I need to go back to school wish if it has good rank and reputation to be able have a nice job after.

My search was about Florida and Colorado I know both are so diffrent especially in weather. I need to know if CO is that bad cold or is it mild, cuz some people saying its sunny which makes me confusing. I wish if i can move to Florida but I never had hurricane before and affraid if that happen while I'm there I need to resettle down not to move again after few months.that's why i prefer Colorado but concern it's weather i like long summer sunny days more than snow.
Can you help me which is better please because I'm new in states and need your help even if you have other suggestions.you are more than welcome to share it here What I'm looking for.
Long summer sunny state
Good education.
Good job market.
Thanks in advance.
Your response are highly appreciated.
Ive never lived in Florida so can't comment. While I haven't lived in Colorado I have lived in that part of the country so can offer perspective. It does snow in Colorado but most of it is pretty mild. If you're in the Denver area there are plenty of educated people. Cost of living in the desirable locations in Colorado is very high. I can't speak specifically for nightlife but outdoor activities are popular and Colorado frequently ranks at the top for fittest state. There must be jobs since the Front Range is fast growing.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:09 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
You packed your bags BEFORE thoroughly researching a major move?

The many instances of terrible grammar in your post indicate “not educated” *might* be a case of the pot calling the teakettle black. I hope this is not how you write a cover letter when sending job resumes. The latter should be done BEFORE packing up and making a long-distance move to a place with lots of competition for housing. This holds even more for a place about which you know so little.

COL is high in the Denver area, not low, especially if you plan to attend school and work, which typically means low-paying part-time work. To someone from the SE US, CO winters will not seem “mild.”

Why are you in such a hurry to flee your present home?

Old 01-10-2019, 09:26 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
pikebike, how many languages do you speak?

Old 01-10-2019, 10:23 AM

11,066 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraaa View Post
I live now in Nashville,TN weather here r super cool for me ....

What I'm looking for....
CO is sunny, but it's cold and chilly much of the year too. The dryness makes for cold nights and mornings as the temperatures are able to dramatically drop. It's also hard on the skin and sinuses because they need more moisture than the state ever provides. The intense sunlight increases the chance of skin cancer too (been there, done that)

CO is more expensive than the south, plain and simple. It's a great place to burn up savings too (been there, done that).

As far as education goes, if you're more educated than most, you have an advantage. It everyone is equal or "smarter" in a new location, expect competition for jobs like you've never seen before. Also, being more educated does not mean friendlier. Many in CO come from the north, and have a cold edge to them. People in the warmer south tend to be more down-to-earth, natural, and yes, even friendly.

Above all, never move without heavily researching and visiting a potential location first. Otherwise, you'll create more problems for yourself, and lose more money in the process.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-10-2019 at 10:32 AM..

Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You packed your bags BEFORE thoroughly researching a major move?

The many instances of terrible grammar in your post indicate “not educated” *might* be a case of the pot calling the teakettle black. I hope this is not how you write a cover letter when sending job resumes. The latter should be done BEFORE packing up and making a long-distance move to a place with lots of competition for housing. This holds even more for a place about which you know so little.

COL is high in the Denver area, not low, especially if you plan to attend school and work, which typically means low-paying part-time work. To someone from the SE US, CO winters will not seem “mild.”

Why are you in such a hurry to flee your present home?
Very Rude, and Unnecessary. The OP is obviously from a different country where promptly english is not the lingua franca. Maybe you're from Nashville?

I would suggest Atlanta, or the Texas metros.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:00 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If leaving Nashville because of the under-educated masses Florida is not the place to go, trust me on that (and the statistics). Colorado does offer more sunny days which isn't exclusive to warm weather, however it's not really affordable if considering rental costs versus salaries (again like Florida). Check out a place like Durham NC which is well-educated (among the top few cities in the US), has affordable rent versus average salaries, has a good community college (Durham Technical Community College), and an excellent job market for skilled labor plus generally decent weather (a bit warmer than Nashville).
I'd second Durham (and not just because I used to teach at Durham Tech ). Kind of meh Back in the Day, it's now loaded w/ good restaurants, coffee shops, etc. and has a sort of "laid back but up & coming" vibe. Proximity to RTP as well as lots of meds/eds related employment in the city itself make for a good job market.
Athens, GA may be another location that meets your criteria, but yes, Durham, for sure.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:42 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Meraaa, do you understand that if you change states, you will need to live in your new state for at least 1 year before you can get resident college tuition rates? Proving residency includes changing all your ID, filing taxes in the new state, showing utility bills in your name, etc. If you don't wait a year and do these things, you will pay non-resident rates = $$$

Old 01-10-2019, 02:40 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Very Rude, and Unnecessary. The OP is obviously from a different country where promptly english is not the lingua franca. Maybe you're from Nashville?

I would suggest Atlanta, or the Texas metros.
Yes, you are.

Obviously, I was responding to the OP’s own snobbery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.