U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 07:37 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,171,331 times

Advertisements

now if you choose a specific type some places will be better than others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 07:41 AM

9,384 posts, read 9,546,239 times
I think 120 miles is a better Day trip radius. 150 is really pushing it.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:54 AM

2,923 posts, read 3,637,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
probably the NE, SOCAL, or the Bay for most of these, hate to say it but in terms of the quality and variety these likely offer the most and best for the categories

pick your poison

generally it seems the number of places within 2, 4 or 6 hours is just more interesting on the whole

Pretty much all places have worthwhile places within those ranges just those have the most and best quality IMHO
I tend to agree based on my personal preferences. I like what the west offers, but I also really like all the historical trips that can be made from Philadelphia to Boston. Plus for a place like Philly a day trip to NYC is hard to beat, if you like city vacations. Someone said the Poconos though. Is that still a thing?

Old 01-11-2019, 07:57 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,171,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I tend to agree based on my personal preferences. I like what the west offers, but I also really like all the historical trips that can be made from Philadelphia to Boston. Plus for a place like Philly a day trip to NYC is hard to beat, if you like city vacations. Someone said the Poconos though. Is that still a thing?

for the Poconos its hiking, skiing, camping, boating (many lakes)

A lot of people have mountain houses there and can be reached in less than 2 hours from either Philly or NYC

Its actually very pretty but not as dramatic as out west; good hiking though

The ski slopes are icy and extremely crowded but have some surprisingly decent vertical

Old 01-11-2019, 09:16 AM

2,987 posts, read 2,145,763 times
Austin to San Antonio is about an hours drive. It's approximately 78 miles from Downtown Austin to Downtown San Antonio. It's less than an hour from South Austin to North San Antonio. In San Antonio there is a nice zoo, the Riverwalk, the Alamo, Seaworld and Fiesta Texas. Along the way between Austin and San Antonio, there's the San Marcos River for tubing and snorkling, the 2 giant size outlet malls, Wonderworld and Aquarena Springs in San Marcos, and then there's the Schlitterbahn, the Snake Farm, the Comal River for tubing in New Braunfels. There is so much to see and do in the Austin/San Antonio/Central Texas region. It's a great place to take out of state visitors when they are in Austin. I didn't even mention the Texas Hill Country which is beautiful and lots of things to see and do and places to explore.

Austin is about 160 miles to Downtown Houston and a little over 2 hours to the western suburbs of Houston. Houston has just about everything in the world a person could possibly want. I've taken many trips to Houston to watch the Astros play and come back to Austin on the same day.

Austin to Dallas is about 200 miles to Downtown Dallas and about 190 miles to Ft. Worth and about 2.5 hours to to the southern suburbs of Dallas. DFW is alot like Houston as it also has just about everything in the world a person could possibly want. I never have made a day trip to DFW but over the years I have made several weekend trips to the region.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 01-11-2019 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-11-2019, 10:40 AM

6,583 posts, read 3,670,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
The ones who do worst:
1. Frequent Daytrips: Detroit - nothing good within 75 miles except maybe Ann Arbor.
I think you might need to visit Michigan. I enjoyed visiting the lakefront towns. There is a good deal of water within 75 miles of Detroit so one can't drive into the lake. And it's always so cute how Michiganers do the little mitten thing -- they must learn that in kindergarten.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:52 AM

6,583 posts, read 3,670,806 times
Just the logistics of getting out and back in to a 3+ million city will take a chunk of any day trip. Add a few more million people and you are probably looking at an overnighter or else road rage.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:55 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,109,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I think you might need to visit Michigan. I enjoyed visiting the lakefront towns. There is a good deal of water within 75 miles of Detroit so one can't drive into the lake. And it's always so cute how Michiganers do the little mitten thing -- they must learn that in kindergarten.
All of the good Michigan cities are on the Lake Michigan side, which is not <75 miles from Detroit.

What lakefront towns are you referencing? Sandusky, OH?

All of Ontario <75 miles from Detroit is ugly farm towns, like Leamington, or Windsor, which isn't anything special.

To the north is ugly Flint and nothing else.

To the west there's Lansing I suppose, but that's not within 75 miles.

I don't see anything of note.

Michigan is beautiful, yes, but in the North and West, not the South and East (which is topographically boring like most of Ohio or Indiana).

Last edited by manitopiaaa; 01-11-2019 at 11:04 AM..

Old 01-11-2019, 11:07 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,109,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think 120 miles is a better Day trip radius. 150 is really pushing it.
I daytrip from Alexandria, VA to Philadelphia, PA frequently (~140 miles).

Heck, I've daytripped to New York City from VA as well by Megabus.

I agree that I'm not driving 150 miles for a ****ty sight, but 150 for a large city daytrip seems very feasible.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:02 PM

9,384 posts, read 9,546,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I daytrip from Alexandria, VA to Philadelphia, PA frequently (~140 miles).

Heck, I've daytripped to New York City from VA as well by Megabus.

I agree that I'm not driving 150 miles for a ****ty sight, but 150 for a large city daytrip seems very feasible.
My general rule is travel time<Destination time. 150 miles is usually about 3 hours (more if you’re crossing through a city)

So like Mt Washington from Boston is more of an overnight while the Southern Whites are day trip territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or