Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 10:07 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,217,758 times

Advertisements

Yep, here’s a spin-off thread of another spin-off thread. Instead of 10 things that people do know, I thought it would be more interesting to hear about things that people would NOT know about each city. It can be a fun way to learn about other cities, and also to teach others about your own city.

Inspired by these 2 posts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't expect the average outsider to know much, if anything, about Tyler, TX but just in case - here is what we're most famous for, in no particular order:

1. The Rose Capitol of the World
2. Great Tex Mex food - Taqueria El Lugar, home of the famous #7!
3. A church on every corner, including a Roman Catholic diocese and cathedral
4. The western edge of the South
5. Hot summers, mild winters
6. Crepe myrtles, roses, and azaleas are everywhere
7. The international "Adopt a Highway" program started here - wooohoooo!
8. Sandy Duncan was born and raised here.
9. David Koresh is buried here.
10. The space shuttle Columbia exploded over Tyler and many pieces of it, including human remains, were found here.
^^^^^ in particular #10 was really interesting to me. Never heard of Tyler, TX before but I might remember that name now.

And this post too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Those are the obvious. This is about what people don't already know. I would go with:

1. DC is one of if not the fittest city in America
2. Very much a bicycling captiol of America
3. The home of "Black Broadway"
4. Hot bed for black comedians
5. DC has created two music genres yet will never receive proper recognition (Emo punk rock, and Go-Go)
6. DC had a (small) but existent Italian immigrant population in the late 1800's
7. The "7th inning stretch" began and first took place in Washington DC
8. The first telegraphic message was sent from Washington DC to Baltimore
9. The Half Smoke or Ben's Chili Bowl both unique to DC
10. The Internet was first tested and confirmed to work at DARPA in the DC suburb of Arlington

If they don't know, now they know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 10:33 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
I had this exact same thread idea, glad you made it. Coming up with 10 will be hard so I'll start with one.

1. Most New Yorkers in 2019 do not have anything resembling a stereotypical New York accent (like how Andrew Dice Clay or Paulie Walnuts sound)

Old 01-14-2019, 10:54 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
2. Home to many Beaux Art and Art Deco residential buildings
3. Graffiti is embraced in some neighborhoods (including very gentrified ones like Williamsburg). OP and I actually like graffiti while most city data posters would probably think it's bad
4. Large sections of the Bronx were originally considered upscale and an escape from Manhattan
5. Large and growing Mexican population, and Mexican food is becoming more and more mainstream. Manhattan has a Mexican day parade every year
6. Staten Island is home to one of the country's only (if not only) Liberian Enclave
7. Manhattan's SoHo neighborhood contains a fairly large collection of Cast Iron buildings (very unique as far as American architecture is concerned)
8. About 40% of the subway system is above ground
9. NYC has 5+ Chinatowns within city limits
10. Union Square, Herald Square, and Times Square are "happy accidents", meaning they weren't originally intended to be what they are and are just a byproduct of the street grid.

Last edited by Foamposite; 01-14-2019 at 11:11 AM..

Old 01-14-2019, 11:03 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
To add to DC

1. There is no J St.
2. Library of Congress if the largest in the world
3. There are secret tunnels underneath the city for transporting government folks that regular citizens can't see
4. Maine Ave Fish Market is the oldest in the country
5. Washington Monument is the largest obelisk and was once the tallest structure
6. While Washington in Washington DC is named after George Washington, Columbia in District of Columbia is named after Christopher Columbus
7. DC was built on top of a swamp
8. There is a Bonsai museum
9. DC petitioned to become it's own state named New Columbia in the 80's
10. DC's motto is Justitia Omnibus (Justice to all)

Old 01-14-2019, 12:20 PM

209 posts, read 234,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
To add to DC

1. There is no J St.
2. Library of Congress if the largest in the world
3. There are secret tunnels underneath the city for transporting government folks that regular citizens can't see
4. Maine Ave Fish Market is the oldest in the country
5. Washington Monument is the largest obelisk and was once the tallest structure
6. While Washington in Washington DC is named after George Washington, Columbia in District of Columbia is named after Christopher Columbus
7. DC was built on top of a swamp
8. There is a Bonsai museum
9. DC petitioned to become it's own state named New Columbia in the 80's
10. DC's motto is Justitia Omnibus (Justice to all)
It’s been constantly proven that DC was not built on a swamp!

Old 01-14-2019, 12:33 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Philadelphia:

1. Americas first zoo is located there.

2. Home to the first hospital and medical school.

3. Walnut Street theater is the oldest continually operating theater in the nation.

4. First computer was created in Philadelphia.

5. Philadelphia is the mural capital of the US.

6. Home to Americas first library.

7. Philadelphia is home to more Impressionist paintings than any other city in the world besides Paris.

8. Philly became the site of the first organized protest against slavery when the 1688 Germantown Quaker Petition Against Slavery was drafted.

9. Philadelphia is home to the Mütter Museum. One of the worlds largest collection of anatomical and pathological specimens, wax models, and antique medical equipment.

10. In 1792, the Philadelphia Mint was the first Federal building built under the Constitution.

So basically, Philadelphia is a city of firsts. So much of our nations history, art, economy, and culture traces back to Philadelphia is some way shape or form. Many people do not realize how prominent Philadelphia has been since America was settled on by the Europeans.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:07 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Pittsburgh

- First commercial radio station, KDKA (which is the only one that begins with K that's east of the Mississippi river)
- First movie theater
- First labor union
- At one time had as many as 17 different inclined railways in various parts of the city. Now has only two.
- Was also a large center of aluminum and glass production, not just iron and steel.
- Was founded by a young George Washington
- Is often claimed to have more bridges than Venice, although that's uncertain
- Has some of the steepest streets in the world
- Has a bike trail that goes to Washington DC
- Was the site of two colonial forts, British and French
- Had a very active and influential jazz scene in the 1940s and 1950s

Last edited by _Buster; 01-14-2019 at 01:43 PM..

Old 01-14-2019, 01:17 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
Really? I always heard it was.... I wonder what's the story behind it.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:49 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Really? I always heard it was.... I wonder what's the story behind it.
Like most things it’s a little from column A, a little from column B. I remember having a lively discussion with a local last time I was there in a bar after commenting on how it feels like being in a swamp during the summer. If I remember correctly, it was partially built on a swamp, like very little, but something about the drainage, or lack there of, lead to constant puddling and foul odors that perpetuated the belief that it was.

Who knows maybe this guy sold me a bill of goods? But he was pretty adamant and it sounded believable despite being extremely muggy while looking at rivers. The city’s summer weather and our elected officials behavior only adds to it, and I believe it’ll never go away, if it’s not true.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:56 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4ever View Post
Correct this is a misnomer about the District. There would be no underground metro subway if the city was built on a swamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.