Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 02:19 PM

193 posts, read 481,917 times

Advertisements

I am a small business owner in my young 20's looking to transfer my business out of the North East for good. My business thrives on young families.

Putting aside personal biases, do you think it's best to head to a city that has is booming right now (Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Houston for instance- not being completely specific though), or that will begin to boom in the next 10 years? Or neither?

If you think I should opt for a place that is rising more slowly and is still a bit behind, which midwestern/southern city (in my particular situation at least) would you recommend? Where would you put places like Nashville or Austin on the booming chart- places that are growing, just not as insanely fast as NC?

What do you think are some hidden gem cities that will become more popular in the next 10-20 years? Louisville? OKC? Tulsa? Greenville, SC? Omaha? Somewhere else?

I've been thinking about a lot of these questions and would love to hear other opinions on them. Sorry if it's a lot to post at once- I just have a lot of related questions and figured I'd keep them together. I would also like to make a formal apology for the overuse of the word "boom". I guess like many of us, I am hoping to be ahead of the curve in my relocation. I guess my problem is that I am looking to go somewhere that is growing, because it is good for my business, however, I'm not exactly looking for an Atlanta (nothing against Atlanta, probably just too big for me!) Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 03:03 PM

93,286 posts, read 123,898,066 times
another area to think about is the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of Virginia, due to having many colleges in the area, having a big military presence and Virginia Beach is in the area. This area comprises of Norfolk, VA Beach, Hampton, Newport News, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Portsmouth and Williamsburg, among others.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:07 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,138 times
It depends on what you can handle. I live on the east coast right now, and I have lived in the far west in such places like California. Some popular cities in the east like NY, boston etc, are really expensive to live and run a business.

If you want to live some where in the south you have to factor a few things. One, do you like the heat? I personally could never live there for that reason alone, but it doesn't bother everyone.

Secondly, a lot of cities in the south like Charlotte, Atlanta etc will eventually max out which I think they might have already with the influx of northerners and the businesses that they bring. I know a lot of people who have moved back from the south only to say that the grass is not always so green somewhere else.

The south has also lost a lot of jobs as of late as well as places that were once thriving like Phoenix, etc. Places in Arizona and such will have problems substaining water for its residents in the future. Those types of concerns should be addressed. The west is still very expensive and in some areas of Cali, have lost there allure to so many mexican immigrants. Many are begining to migrate to other cities for that reason as well as cost of living.

I think you were spot on with places like Omaha, Boise, Louisville, etc. I think the mid-west etc will begin to see an influx of new residents. Places where the cost of living is not so high and sprawl still has not defined a place. The problem with any place that begins to get popular is all of the reasons your looking to leave. Sprawl, not enough natural resources, overpopulation, cost of living goes up.

I wouldn't neccessarily look for a place that will be the next boom town, I would look for a place that has a more normal to steady growth. Appreciates their history as well as holds on to it and is moving forward with technology to open up and create more jobs both in the blue collar sector as well as the technilogical field and white collar.

I would say the area I mentioned would possibly suit you better. I would look into Louisville, Omaha, Boise, etc. If the wheather is not a problem maybe places like Oregon, Washington, Maine, minnesotta, etc. Places where quality of life is still there and thriving. Where natural scenery can still be found as well as many pockets of middle america.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
It depends on what you can handle. I live on the east coast right now, and I have lived in the far west in such places like California. Some popular cities in the east like NY, boston etc, are really expensive to live and run a business.

If you want to live some where in the south you have to factor a few things. One, do you like the heat? I personally could never live there for that reason alone, but it doesn't bother everyone.

Secondly, a lot of cities in the south like Charlotte, Atlanta etc will eventually max out which I think they might have already with the influx of northerners and the businesses that they bring. I know a lot of people who have moved back from the south only to say that the grass is not always so green somewhere else.

The south has also lost a lot of jobs as of late as well as places that were once thriving like Phoenix, etc. Places in Arizona and such will have problems substaining water for its residents in the future. Those types of concerns should be addressed. The west is still very expensive and in some areas of Cali, have lost there allure to so many mexican immigrants. Many are begining to migrate to other cities for that reason as well as cost of living.

I think you were spot on with places like Omaha, Boise, Louisville, etc. I think the mid-west etc will begin to see an influx of new residents. Places where the cost of living is not so high and sprawl still has not defined a place. The problem with any place that begins to get popular is all of the reasons your looking to leave. Sprawl, not enough natural resources, overpopulation, cost of living goes up.

I wouldn't neccessarily look for a place that will be the next boom town, I would look for a place that has a more normal to steady growth. Appreciates their history as well as holds on to it and is moving forward with technology to open up and create more jobs both in the blue collar sector as well as the technilogical field and white collar.

I would say the area I mentioned would possibly suit you better. I would look into Louisville, Omaha, Boise, etc. If the wheather is not a problem maybe places like Oregon, Washington, Maine, minnesotta, etc. Places where quality of life is still there and thriving. Where natural scenery can still be found as well as many pockets of middle america.
Colorado might be another state to consider too. Utah is another and is the fastest growing state right now in the US. Utah is fastest growing state, Census Bureau says - CNN.com

US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/013049.html - broken link) (Also noticed that the Northeast is actually growing a little bit lately according to this article)

Old 01-02-2009, 03:16 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Colorado might be another state to consider too. Utah is another and is the fastest growing state right now in the US. Utah is fastest growing state, Census Bureau says - CNN.com

US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/013049.html - broken link) (Also noticed that the Northeast is actually growing a little bit lately according to this article)

Your absolutely right. I knew I was missing some good places. I know I missed even more than that. I was gonna say Utah, unfortunately everyone associates the mormon church with them. I know that its not really like that but many are put off with that idea.

Colorado was the best one not mentioned. I love Colorado. Western Colorado in the Rockies I think is the most beautiful natural setting in possibly the world. I wasn't sure what the cost of living was. But definately Colorado. My favorite state in the US by far...Good additions..

Old 01-02-2009, 03:21 PM

Also, what people don't know it that Mormons are originally from my area(Central NY State(Palmyra), Brigham Young was originally from Vermont, Joseph Smith was originally from Oneida NY) and that they founded Las Vegas, ironically.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:53 PM

193 posts, read 481,917 times
Thanks everyone! Great points.

I'm definitely looking for warm weather. I've lived in FL, CT, and TX, and definitely prefer the climates of FL and TX, so hoping to stick with the south and willing to go a little bit colder into the midwest.

Colorado seems beautiful, but might be a bit too cold for me!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoverme View Post
Thanks everyone! Great points.

I'm definitely looking for warm weather. I've lived in FL, CT, and TX, and definitely prefer the climates of FL and TX, so hoping to stick with the south and willing to go a little bit colder into the midwest.

Colorado seems beautiful, but might be a bit too cold for me!
It's dry though and I believe that Denver gets more days of sunlight than any other major city in the US, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:00 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
IMO Houston and San Antonio, TX.

Old 01-02-2009, 06:49 PM

559 posts, read 1,757,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoverme View Post
I am a small business owner in my young 20's looking to transfer my business out of the North East for good. My business thrives on young families.

Putting aside personal biases, do you think it's best to head to a city that has is booming right now (Charlotte, Raleigh, Atlanta, Houston for instance- not being completely specific though), or that will begin to boom in the next 10 years? Or neither?

If you think I should opt for a place that is rising more slowly and is still a bit behind, which midwestern/southern city (in my particular situation at least) would you recommend? Where would you put places like Nashville or Austin on the booming chart- places that are growing, just not as insanely fast as NC?

What do you think are some hidden gem cities that will become more popular in the next 10-20 years? Louisville? OKC? Tulsa? Greenville, SC? Omaha? Somewhere else?

I've been thinking about a lot of these questions and would love to hear other opinions on them. Sorry if it's a lot to post at once- I just have a lot of related questions and figured I'd keep them together. I would also like to make a formal apology for the overuse of the word "boom". I guess like many of us, I am hoping to be ahead of the curve in my relocation. I guess my problem is that I am looking to go somewhere that is growing, because it is good for my business, however, I'm not exactly looking for an Atlanta (nothing against Atlanta, probably just too big for me!) Thanks in advance!

for sure omaha, and im going to be bias and say OKC. people are definitely finding out about this hidden gem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.