U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:43 AM

6 posts, read 96,246 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

My husband and I are looking for the perfect place to raise our daughter. We run a private foundation so we do not need to be tied to any particular area for work. Here are some criteria:

east coast, preferably mid atlantic region
picturesque
safe/clean/low crime
great schools (public or private is fine)
sophisticated atmosphere (e.g good restaurants, high end shopping, etc).
nice well maintained homes on decent sized properties
sense of community, shop owners know your name
would love "main street" type scenario where there is cute town and the homes within walking distance

we would LOVE to be waterfront, but understand that may have to be a second home as much of what we've mentioned doesn't exist in a water town.

finance not really an issue, although we are not in favor of ridiculous taxes!

suggestions please???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 02:30 PM

668 posts, read 2,461,086 times
If you would consider a little further North, I would recommend Newburyport, MA. Beautifull, historic and charming, neighborly, great art scene, and right on the water.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:32 PM

1,573 posts, read 5,652,927 times
Williamsburg, VA popped into my mind when I read your post. It is a mid-atlantic college town (William & Mary college) that probably qualifies as a small city. There is a fair amount of culture and some decent vineyards. Williamsburg is also located near the James River and it is less than an hour drive from Virginia Beach and Norfolk. It is also something of a tourist destination itself, due to its colonial significance and the proximity of Busch Gardens amusement park.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:31 PM

thank you so much for your replies. I'm not sure about Mass... politically and weather wise it might be a little more than we bargained for, but thank you for the suggestion.

williamsburg is an option - you get a lot of house for the money down there and there is plenty of waterfront to go around, I just wonder if it isn't a little..."mature" for us (lots of retirees, etc.). We're in our early 30's and our daughter is only 16 months so I just want to be sure we're going to be around people our own age and that she'll have kids to play with...

Old 04-08-2008, 08:42 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,142,130 times
You may want to consider Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. It's an affordable place to live, and while I wouldn't recommend the city for a family (schools are not good) there are a ton of family oriented activities to take part in. The city lies along the mile-wide Susquehanna River which is very popular for boating, fishing and there is even a riverboat cruise. There are also many family-friendly festivals throughout the year. There's also a TON of restaurants in this area, and I don't just mean chains. Harrisburg's 2nd street is referred to as "restaurant row" for all its locally-owned restaurants (Irish pubs, Mexican, Cajun, Middle-eastern, and high-end).

Many of the suburbs (Camp Hill, Hummelstown, Mechanicsburg) are beautiful small towns with a family atmosphere.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 PM

I used to horse show there every fall - it would be fun to check it out from this persoective. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2008, 09:25 PM

109 posts, read 429,206 times
Annapolis, MD! Close to Baltimore and DC for a big city feel, and is on the water. Has a number of public and private schools around. Pop 40-50,000 and has a small town feel. Is sophisticated because of the state government being located there.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:14 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,204,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by histmaj View Post
Annapolis, MD! Close to Baltimore and DC for a big city feel, and is on the water. Has a number of public and private schools around. Pop 40-50,000 and has a small town feel. Is sophisticated because of the state government being located there.
I was going to say the same.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:26 PM

yep, annapolis is definitely a contender. Oxford, easton, st michaels and cambridge are too although I hear private school is going to be a much there as public schools are not good.

I guess I'm looking for something that maybe isn't as well known to explore too...the "hidden gems", "small wonders" and so on. What we want probably doesn't exist but I refuse to give up hope!

Old 04-09-2008, 07:28 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,154,039 times
What about Charleston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or