Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 03:16 PM

214 posts, read 427,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
As a New Englanders, They’re Southern
They're definitely southern. I don't know why they keep trying to lump themselves in with the Northeast. There's nothing northeastern about either of these places. It's even more laughable with one of the posters trying to lump Virgina and Richmond in too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 03:28 PM

110 posts, read 113,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
They're definitely southern. I don't know why they keep trying to lump themselves in with the Northeast. There's nothing northeastern about either of these places. It's even more laughable with one of the posters trying to lump Virgina and Richmond in too.
I can understand why a New Englander would say that these are in the south. They are southern and are by no means Northeastern. However, my main point is to recognize how this region in its entirety is different from other parts of the south. The history and development of this region is different from that of most southern states and it just happens to be located at the center of the East Coast along the Chesapeake Bay. Therefore, it makes perfect since from a logical standpoint to use the term Mid-Atlantic over Southern. It does not make since to say that any of these places are Northeastern though.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:40 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I specifically asked my friend from New Bedford, MA and Providence both when they came to town years back, if they thought DC was "southern" their reply back was "Heck no, the South is like Georgia etc." So to each their own opinion.
I'm from Texas, I never considered DC southern and didn't really know anyone who did...until I came to this board. Let me say that southerners who live in DC don't consider DC southern and people in South Carolina certainly don't. So not sure why southerners on this board want so badly for DC to be in the south.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:41 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
As a New Englanders, They’re Southern
As a southerner, they're northern

Row houses, 4 season climate, old brick colonial buildings. That ain't southern any way you call it. Richmond has ties to southern history but it really isn't very southern either.

The South really should be limited to the "Deep South".

Old 01-30-2019, 03:53 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm from Texas, I never considered DC southern and didn't really know anyone who did...until I came to this board. Let me say that southerners who live in DC don't consider DC southern and people in South Carolina certainly don't. So not sure why southerners on this board want so badly for DC to be in the south.
It’s really the opposite, people from the upper South are ashamed to be considered Southern.

That’s why people from Richmond, Virginia try to say they’re northern.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:56 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Let's shut down the government for another month until we get to the bottom of this.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:58 PM

110 posts, read 113,932 times
Quote:
It’s really the opposite, people from the upper South are ashamed to be considered Southern.

No one from Richmond says their Northern. Mid-Atlantic is not the same as being northern.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:00 PM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Let's shut down the government for another month until we get to the bottom of this.
I think if the government workers went back to where the cane it wouldn’t be much a question at all.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:01 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:

I would consider most of Virginia to be the south. I don't think there's anything wrong with being southern, but I'm not gonna say Portland is southern just because I want it to be.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:27 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
The DMV should mostly just be considered a region of bland corporate nothingness defined by the transplant office workers that reside in it. I say corporate but mean corporations as well as the office-dwelling public sector, which in this day and age mimics most of the formalities of Corporate America.

If there is a local culture then it is black culture, which of course exists in sort of a parallel universe for most white people even though 99% of white people here are the kind of white non-racist people who are very eager to make sure everyone knows they're particularly non-racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.