Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 08:25 PM

22 posts, read 14,318 times

Advertisements

Okay so were moving next year, but dont have any idea where yet.

Currently were in Utah, about 35 miles from SLC & we own a home. We hate Utah for lots of reasons, the main being the hyper religious culture & the lack of basic culture in general.

I moved to Utah from NYC, before that I grew up in the Keys in Florida. Im open to places, but dont want anywhere as big as NYC again, nor do I want somewhere small. We want to find a town right in the middle, something like Portland.

We need a place with plenty of culture, easy walkability / transportation, & a decent cost of living. Only looking into states where cannabis is legal as well. California is not an option.

Portland is our first thought, but we want to buy another home & it would be impossible there. Started looking at Salem & Eugene, but I dont know if those will provide enough downtown adventure for us.

I have my own online business. I re-sell items for a living so being around decent population sizes with ample thrift stores is important.

So pretty much I ask:

What is a mini version of NYC (particularly Astoria or the Village), but still affordable for two 28 year olds (hopefully a kid by then) who make about $90k a year

Thanks for any help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 08:29 PM

93,277 posts, read 123,898,066 times
What would be considered to be "too small" for you?

Old 02-03-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What would be considered to be "too small" for you?
I grew up on an island 3 hours off the mainland of florida.. that was too small haha.

I dont want to live in the middle of no where.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:34 PM

213 posts, read 166,070 times
Chicago
Weed will be legalized very soon with the new governor

Old 02-03-2019, 08:44 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Metro Detroit or Grand Rapids. Weed is already legal in Michigan. Housing is affordable, lots of activities in the downtown cores. Public transportation will get you where you want to go, but is not ideal.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:58 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,831 times
Do you prefer East, West, Southern or Central States culture? Do you mind snow and cold weather? Of the mid sized towns I’ve been I liked Asheville a lot, Raleigh and Richmond/Charlottesville areas are good also, Louisville, too. Portland ME and Portsmouth NH and other New England areas have a lot to offer unless they’re too small and remote. Good luck I hope you find a great new home.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:00 PM

213 posts, read 166,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Metro Detroit or Grand Rapids. Weed is already legal in Michigan. Housing is affordable, lots of activities in the downtown cores. Public transportation will get you where you want to go, but is not ideal.
Good option,

Don’t forget the Upper & Lower Peninsula region for great weekend escape, just gorgeous
Also all the small towns like Petoskey, Boyne City, Mackinac Island and others

Last edited by Di3s3l_Pow3r; 02-03-2019 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 02-03-2019, 09:15 PM

93,277 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Just to add to this, I’ll throw in Lansing/East Lansing. CATA is a solid bus system, with good coverage in East Lansing. Ann Arbor also comes to mind.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji7 View Post
Do you prefer East, West, Southern or Central States culture? Do you mind snow and cold weather? Of the mid sized towns I’ve been I liked Asheville a lot, Raleigh and Richmond/Charlottesville areas are good also, Louisville, too. Portland ME and Portsmouth NH and other New England areas have a lot to offer unless they’re too small and remote. Good luck I hope you find a great new home.
Asheville was actually on my list as well, but i dont know if im ready for East Coast humidity again.

As far as climate.. I need all four seasons. Somewhere that gets atleast some snow is preferable. The heavy grey skies of Portland scare me.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:35 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tydnshop View Post
Asheville was actually on my list as well, but i dont know if im ready for East Coast humidity again.

As far as climate.. I need all four seasons. Somewhere that gets atleast some snow is preferable. The heavy grey skies of Portland scare me.
Asheville would be a great option versus your criteria and while it has some humidity it's elevation at 2100' (and higher in some neighborhoods) minimizes the effect, especially in summer versus the rest of the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.