Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 04:11 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times

Advertisements

Aren't there some parts of states on a road trip that, even if the route isn't objectively that long, it feels like it drags on forever? Some in state drives are reasonably long. Longest I've done is the distance between Miami, FL to Perdido Key, FL at the Alabama line. Thats a LONG haul but it makes sense cuz you gotta traverse the long peninsula and then the equally long panhandle. But then I've been on some in state drives that look short on a map, and maybe ARE short in reality, but by God do they feel like an eterinity!

An example for me is I-35 in Kansas. Its really an average drive, but feels so much longer. And I enjoy the drive, I don't mind the flat plains but it is kinda tiring. By the time you get to Overland Park (northbound at least) its such a breath of fresh air. Also, the I-20 in stretch in Louisiana. Not very long but always feels it to me. Maybe cuz I hate driving in Louisiana lol. I-49 between Shreveport area down to Lafayette is also a nightmare, as is I-10 til Mississippi. When I went down that way in 2015 the road construction made me wanna drive off the Pontchartain bridge lol.

Iowa I-35 and Georgia I-75 also really drag. Surprisingly, I've never been in a border to border drive in Texas that felt too long. Longest drive I've done from anywhere in Texas that was to a state line was from Abilene east bound on I-20. But it was broken up with places like ranger hill, DFW and the piney woods so it didn't feel too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 05:03 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,508,020 times
I often drive through Virginia up I-81. The first time I drove it, the drive was MUCH longer than I thought it would be. I'm sure there are other states that have a longer trek, but this was the one that was the biggest surprise for me.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:21 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,780,869 times
Key West to Naples, FL. So close, yet so far away.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:32 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
I-70 across Kansas. Lots of flat, open prairie, a bunch of abandoned Stuckey's that have been closed for 30ish years, and not much else - especially between Salina and Goodland.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:50 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Connecticut on I-84 seems much longer than Massachusetts on I-90.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:24 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Aren't there some parts of states on a road trip that, even if the route isn't objectively that long, it feels like it drags on forever? Some in state drives are reasonably long. Longest I've done is the distance between Miami, FL to Perdido Key, FL at the Alabama line. Thats a LONG haul but it makes sense cuz you gotta traverse the long peninsula and then the equally long panhandle. But then I've been on some in state drives that look short on a map, and maybe ARE short in reality, but by God do they feel like an eterinity!

An example for me is I-35 in Kansas. Its really an average drive, but feels so much longer. And I enjoy the drive, I don't mind the flat plains but it is kinda tiring. By the time you get to Overland Park (northbound at least) its such a breath of fresh air. Also, the I-20 in stretch in Louisiana. Not very long but always feels it to me. Maybe cuz I hate driving in Louisiana lol. I-49 between Shreveport area down to Lafayette is also a nightmare, as is I-10 til Mississippi. When I went down that way in 2015 the road construction made me wanna drive off the Pontchartain bridge lol.

Iowa I-35 and Georgia I-75 also really drag. Surprisingly, I've never been in a border to border drive in Texas that felt too long. Longest drive I've done from anywhere in Texas that was to a state line was from Abilene east bound on I-20. But it was broken up with places like ranger hill, DFW and the piney woods so it didn't feel too long.
Those stretches of highway draaaaggggged on seemingly forever despite not being a huge distance. For me (early 2010) it was the combination of countless dreadful, sharp-edged, raised cracks across the road + the extremely heavy traffic volume + the crazy drivers tailgating more recklessly than any other state I’ve driven in. After that trip, I vowed to never drive there again.

The horrible broken surface of I-10 magically turned to flawless smooth asphalt right as I crossed the state line into MS. I guess Stennis’s being there there had something to do with the difference.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:42 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
Indiana on I-65 from the Kentucky border to Indy, then I-69 from Indy to the Michigan border. Longest 6 hours I’ve ever driven. Indiana is a small state, but the roads angle to make it a much longer drive than it appears.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:42 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times
Washington State on I-90 seems long, but in truth is only 277 miles from Seattle to Spokane, due to the topography changing from mountains to flat at about near George, WA, in central WA. At 70 MPH, this works out to about 4.5 hours.

Montana has a similar biography with the same freeway, combined with I-94. I-90 is mountainous from the western border with Idaho to about 30 miles west of Billings, then is mostly flat for the final stretch on 94 to the North Dakota border. The entire route is north of 700 miles, and is a 9-10 hour drive within itself, even with mostly an 80 MPH speed.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:59 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
"Time Warp" stretches of interstate highway in the Southeast:

- I-40 from Nashville to Memphis
- I-16 from Macon to Savannah
- I-10 from Jacksonville to New Orleans
- I-85 from Atlanta to Mobile
- I-75 from Macon to Gainesville, FL
- I-55 from Memphis to Slidell, LA
- I-20 from Atlanta to Augusta

Uninteresting topography combined with lack of urban diversions conspire to make these stretches intolerably dull; an hour on any of these roads feels more like two.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:06 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,165 times
I10 from San Antonio to El Paso........ I thought we were going to be stranded, and there's only a few gas stations with restaurants attached in between. It's literally eons before you hit any sort of civilization. Perhaps this is why I have a better then average perception of El Paso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.