Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:28 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times

Advertisements

Ok, it's the middle of December in Atlanta.
Yeah, it is usually warmer than Minnesota, but man it's hot.
81 degrees today. Now for December that is warm.
When you walk your dogs and they lay on the cement just to cool their deeter it's hot.
This time last year I lost 4 trees with a quick ice storm, today I'm in my shorts.

I'm starting to believe we are really screwing up the weather system
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 10:50 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
And here, we're having the opposite problem... we got an Arctic blast from Alaska, and temps dipped into the 20s last night! Might not seem cold to someone in Minnesota or Chicago, but for us that's downright frigid!! It seems to be getting colder & wetter every year, and I'm convinced the weather is shifting permanently... in 20 or so years, I won't be surprised if snow has become a regular thing for San Francisco.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:52 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Oh, and speaking of animals, even my Persian (longhaired) cat didn't want to go outside last night! My dog doesn't seem to mind, though, and my neighbor's Siberian Husky is in heaven.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:00 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,881 times
It's because of a moderate El Nino, it won't be as cold in the Eastern half of the country this year.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:03 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
It's because of a moderate El Nino, it won't be as cold in the Eastern half of the country this year.
Oh good! I am tired of messing around with firewood.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:18 PM

153 posts, read 711,285 times
Default This has nothing to do with global warming..

I tend to think most people who believe in global warming are nuts People are attempting to understand global weather patterns using approximately 150 years of gathered data, since there was very little recording before that. So basically they are trying to explain 1 million years of weather with 150 years of data. It just won't work. I think humanity has a bit of an ego problem to think that we could have such an effect on the weather short of nuclear war. I'm sure we have an effect, but I would argue it is MUCH smaller than we think it is.

As for this particular years weather - as the guy on the weather channel says it is "classic El Nino weather" and since there is an El Nino going on in the Pacific, I think that's pretty accurate

So don't go moving to the midwest thinking the cold and snow will never come back. You'll be sadly disappointed.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:31 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Ok, it's the middle of December in Atlanta.
Yeah, it is usually warmer than Minnesota, but man it's hot.
81 degrees today. Now for December that is warm.
When you walk your dogs and they lay on the cement just to cool their deeter it's hot.
This time last year I lost 4 trees with a quick ice storm, today I'm in my shorts.

I'm starting to believe we are really screwing up the weather system
81 F isn't good?

I thought this was going to be a thread to brag about the summer-like weather.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:06 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
81 F isn't good?

I thought this was going to be a thread to brag about the summer-like weather.

Nope, it's late Fall and 2 days to Winter.
I like it cold, if it wasn't for my wife I would have stayed in Crystal Lake, IL moved back to Alaska or packed up for Vermont a long time ago.

The old saying about being cold and hot.
Being cold you can always add layers of clothing. Being hot, you can only get so necked

Taking a nice shower to get all handsome and clean, then after 3 minutes outside you feel like a used tea bag is not my idea of feelin' good

Old 12-19-2006, 03:35 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Nope, it's late Fall and 2 days to Winter.
I like it cold, if it wasn't for my wife I would have stayed in Crystal Lake, IL moved back to Alaska or packed up for Vermont a long time ago.

The old saying about being cold and hot.
Being cold you can always add layers of clothing. Being hot, you can only get so necked

Taking a nice shower to get all handsome and clean, then after 3 minutes outside you feel like a used tea bag is not my idea of feelin' good
It's muggy there too, or are you just overheated?

I guess my family's weird, being Canadian that is, because I don't know a single relative who wouldn't mind paying $1000 plus to get 80's F in winter. Granted, some of them really enjoy snow, but even they would probably enjoy a long winter vacation somewhere with summer weather.

Used tea bag in 3 minutes? That sucks...
(however I've no personal experience with that so I'll just take your word for it.)

The quickest I've started sweating was probably 10-20 minutes after a shower in Myrtle Beach when it was above 95 F.

NE Georgia? There's mountains nearby...
Are any of them high enough to go cool off?

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 12-19-2006 at 03:44 PM..

Old 12-19-2006, 04:21 PM

944 posts, read 3,847,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politikally View Post
People are attempting to understand global weather patterns using approximately 150 years of gathered data
This is not entirely true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_core
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5314592.stm

I'm not supporting either position, just pointing out that core samples allow us to examine up to 800,000 years of climate data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.