Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 06:55 PM

99 posts, read 112,131 times

Advertisements

This may be bit of a unique "where should I move". I posted in the Florida forum with no success so now I am widening my search.

My only requirements are a detached, single-family home somewhere in the U.S. that has mild winters (I am okay with cold nights), lots of sunshine, and is extremely quiet - especially no barking dogs.

For the quiet I need, my experience leads me to believe I have to find the right HOA or a large piece of land that lays exactly right. Finding the latter is difficult because there is no way to truly look for it. You can't search for 50+ acres in a self-contained hollow with no neighbors on the ridges and no roaming dogs. Therefore, I think my best option is the former.

The right HOA would:

-not allow dogs
-limit kids / skew much older
-ban motorcycles, four-wheelers, etc.
-have strict noise rules
-be gated
-not be building new homes

I am fine with all of the other appearance and improvement restrictions and overzealous enforcement that likely would come along with the above. I do not need any community amenities. I am only 52 but my mom is interested in being on the deed. I have noticed that some 55+ communities only require someone 55+ on the deed but others require that person to live there for a minimum period during the year. For now, she would only be visiting for a few weeks a year.

The state/area of the country I live is unimportant provided there is at least a not too distant supermarket and good internet. I prefer to spend as little as possible as I am retired and only need a small house, though I do want a quality one. My budget is +/-$350k but I would rather spend much less than that. Unfortunately, coastal California and Hawaii are off my list because of budget.

Does anyone know of the name of an HOA that would fit my needs?

Please avoid leaving snarky comments or starting a debate about HOAs or what I am looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 09:12 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
It's hard enough finding a condo that will crack down on barking dogs...good luck finding a house like that.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:24 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
You'll never find a neighborhood that bans dogs and legal automobiles like motorcycles. I think you're best bet is living outside of a small southern city like New Roads, a suburb of Baton Rouge, La. I would look for areas that are economically depressed to minimize the risk of new housing. You can find large quiet pieces of land for well under your budget.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:53 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Motorcycles are fine, but the really loud douchebag type motorcycles are often against the law.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:27 AM

I have found plenty of HOAs which ban both motorcycles and dogs. However, so far in my search every HOA that I have found that that bans dogs do not have single family detached homes. Instead they are shared wall/ceiling dwellings.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:49 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstosea View Post
I have found plenty of HOAs which ban both motorcycles and dogs. However, so far in my search every HOA that I have found that that bans dogs do not have single family detached homes. Instead they are shared wall/ceiling dwellings.
Right, sounds like an apartment complex and not a subdivision. Can't imagine there's any that ban legal things like a motorcycle or dogs. People who live in those neighborhoods tend to love their dogs. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:24 AM

Thank you. I do hold out hope such an association exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.