Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 09:08 AM

74 posts, read 121,558 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, after first posting many years ago while considering a move to Connecticut, here I am, back to bug you with more questions. Only this time we have broadened our search range and gone off the idea of limiting it only to New England. Now we are opening it up to more of the US, and would like to know what state would be best for us. And what we're looking for has changed.

Here's a rundown of what we're looking for (not in any order of importance):

1. Four somewhat equal seasons as per my own definition (temperatures being rough estimates): Warm to hot summers 75-95 (less humidity preferred but not an absolute deal breaker), warm to cool falls 55-75 with fall foliage, warm to cool springs 55-75 with rain, and cold but not crazy winters (lows in teens, highs in 40s or 50s) with packed snow sometimes but like I said nothing too severe. A reasonable high amount of sun would be important even in winters, so it shouldn't be gray clouds all the time.

I know everyone will have their own definitions of seasons but for my purposes let's go with this definition.

2. Access to many clean (safe to fish in and eat, swim, etc.) rivers, lakes, creeks.

3. Lots of grass, trees, and otherwise greenery as well as beautiful foliage in the fall.

4. Lots of family friendly activities, attractions, events and things to do, anything from farmers markets to water parks to festivals to anything to give kids a fun childhood (Within 2 hour drive)

5. Lots of learning and stimulating opportunities, attractions and events, from living history museums to tech museums to planetariums to monuments, etc (Within 2 hour drive)

6. Walkable, safe main street type towns that are even somewhat asthetically pleasing, with friendly people

7. Within two hour drive of large city (for job opportunities) which can offer more amenities like those listed in 4 & 5, as well as restaurants, shows, etc.

8. A lot of rural area surrounding with farms, parks, etc for recreation and fresh food

9. Cheap cheap cheap big houses on a few acres

So that's the list of what we're looking for. Here's a little about us. We're a large family (4 kids and another in the way), conservative, traditional, religious (Eastern Orthodox Christians), intellectuals who love learning, reading, and the outdoors. I homeschool the kids and am also going to school online at Penn State for Biobehavioral Health. My husband works in the tech industry for a school district not commercial corporations. So anywhere where there's a lot of school districts he can find a job as director of technology or CTO hopefully. Our oldest is 11 and youngest is still in my belly.

My list so far of the swath of area I've narrowed it down to is (but if course I need you guys to tell me which to cross off the list based on advice criteria). I've separated them by region(ish):

Any New England State
New York
Pennsylvania

Virginia
West Virginia

Georgia
South Carolina
North Carolina

Tennessee
Kentucky

Ohio
Indiana
Illinois

Oklahoma
Missouri
Kansas

Iowa
Nebraska

Colorado

Washington

So what do you guys think? Thanks a million! Oh by the way, we're currently in California and hate it mostly.

Last edited by indecisive2012; 02-16-2019 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 02:25 PM

481 posts, read 422,982 times
Since sunlight seems like a very important factor for you, consider this map:
https://liber.post-gazette.com/image...weatherbig-png

The map factors in precipitation and cloud cover, so if you want sunlight, perhaps avoid teal/dark blue regions.

The Carolinas seem like a popular recommendation from some posters here, and likely meets your criteria, but you'll have to ask them. The South in general might gel better with your conservative, traditional stance (as opposed to New England, which is heavily irreligious). The Carolinas also have that Research Triangle thing for tech work.

Last edited by sad_hotline; 02-16-2019 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-16-2019, 02:56 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
That's a wide amount of state choices you have there for sure--and definitely a big, but exciting move. I think you need to narrow down to some specific metro areas.

IMO, before you move your family, your husband has to secure that job FIRST--of course. So, since he has a job that requires access to a metro area of at least 100k or so, it seems like you may not want to stray to far out into rural America. Also, if he secures this job, then loses it for some awful downsizing reason in the future, he'll have other opportunities to apply if you are within an hour or so of a decent sized metro area.

However, in response to your criteria, I'll give my opinions, below:

1. Four somewhat equal seasons as per my own definition (temperatures being rough estimates): Warm to hot summers 75-95 (less humidity preferred but not an absolute deal breaker), warm to cool falls 55-75 with fall foliage, warm to cool springs 55-75 with rain, and cold but not crazy winters (lows in teens, highs in 40s or 50s) with packed snow sometimes but like I said nothing too severe. A reasonable high amount of sun would be important even in winters, so it shouldn't be gray clouds all the time.
As for the weather, you'll get these in any of your southeastern states: Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, and the midwest states, and PA. NY upstate will be a lot colder with snow pack most of the winter. New England summers won't be as hot, but still can be somewhat muggy at least 1-2 months of the year. Cold winters though in New England.

I know everyone will have their own definitions of seasons but for my purposes let's go with this definition.

2. Access to many clean (safe to fish in and eat, swim, etc.) rivers, lakes, creeks.
Most likely gotta go with Colorado, Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky or NC/SC here. The other states will have these too, but these states are from experiences I've had that are good.

3. Lots of grass, trees, and otherwise greenery as well as beautiful foliage in the fall.
Any of the states except parts of Colorado where there is maybe a bit of prairie and scrub.

4. Lots of family friendly activities, attractions, events and things to do, anything from farmers markets to water parks to festivals to anything to give kids a fun childhood (Within 2 hour drive)
Charlotte, NC, Raleigh - Durham, NC, Greenville, SC, Knoxville, TN, Chattanooga, TN, Richmond, VA, come to mind.

5. Lots of learning and stimulating opportunities, attractions and events, from living history museums to tech museums to planetariums to monuments, etc (Within 2 hour drive) Raleigh, Charlotte, Richmond, Atlanta area, Knoxville, Nashville.

6. Walkable, safe main street type towns that are even somewhat asthetically pleasing, with friendly people. This describes a ton of New England towns, Georgia towns, NC and Tennessee towns.

7. Within two hour drive of large city (for job opportunities) which can offer more amenities like those listed in 4 & 5, as well as restaurants, shows, etc. Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina, New York.

8. A lot of rural area surrounding with farms, parks, etc for recreation and fresh food. Pretty wide open here.

9. Cheap cheap cheap big houses on a few acres.
Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia (outside of metro DC), Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Missouri, Oklahoma, Indiana, Ohio. Anywhere you listed except New England.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:10 PM

93,346 posts, read 123,972,828 times
If you want NY, I’d say to look into places in the Albany area like Scotia or Ballston Spa. Both have walk ability, with good schools and are close to tech companies in the area(GE and Global Foundries are a couple that come to mind). Both are in school districts that include more rural and typical suburban areas as well.

There are others in the state, but it would come down to what is important to you.

The other states listed have their places as well.

Old 02-16-2019, 03:53 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
OP, Truthfully...only heaven. The amenities are free, if you can get in.

The more amenities a city offers on earth, the higher the cost of housing.

Logan, Utah come close.

Old 02-16-2019, 05:00 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee or South Carolina.

Given your preferences, the rest are non-starters.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:52 PM

Thanks everyone for the great replies!

Yes, we are conservative and religious, but not being of the Protestant/Evangelical/Fundamentalist Christianity that you see in the South, I wonder if I would be frustrated with the views and culture there. So I hope that's not the only reason some people picked southern states for us - because as far as religion goes, that would probably be the last thing we'd have in common with the south.

sad_hotline, thanks for the map!

And yes I do realize that the more amenities, the more expensive, but coming from California, it seems everything is cheaper than here for a whole lot more bang for your buck. Our budget will be $500,000 or so, if that helps to have a better idea of what cheap is to us. Here the houses that we see in any of those states would cost millions here in California.

Great answers and thoughts guys, please keep them coming!

Old 02-16-2019, 08:09 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Take a good look at the Ohio River Valley.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:10 PM

Will do thanks!

Old 02-16-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Take a good look at the Ohio River Valley.
One question, which areas in that swath would be less polluted as far as the Ohio River goes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.