Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do I go?
Stay there! You are happy there, there is more to do, and you are only an hour and a half from your family! 14 82.35%
Go home! Your family is miserable without you. If you don't like it there, suck it up! 0 0%
Check out the job for the training, and make a decision based on the job 2 11.76%
Don't even look at the job, you don't want to move back, so forget it! 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:38 AM

51 posts, read 63,783 times

Advertisements

^ Thank you. You guys are giving great advice, and exactly what I wanted to hear. I can't help but feel guilty when I have so much pressure from my parents who I have always gotten along with and we have a great relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
An hour-and-a-half isn't that far.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:48 PM

51 posts, read 63,783 times
bump.......

Old 04-12-2008, 08:58 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
That is a ridiculous statement from your mom. She is being very immature and selfish. She sees your little boy plenty now that what she said makes absolutely no sense. I think you should trust your own good judgement and do what is best for you and your family. Your obligations now are to your wife and son; mama is no longer #1 and she needs to realize that. Heaven forbid she should cause friction between you and your family. When you married, you left your mom and dad and took a wife. She is now #1.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:12 AM

236 posts, read 1,085,336 times
Julian, I'd stay in St.Louis. The following points have been made, but I feel like they should be summed up and then I'll add one more.

You are building the foundation of your career and it should be strong. Jumping from place to place and job to job doesn't look good. Even if you have a very good reason, 90% of the time you won't get a chance to tell the story.

The job you have now has better benefits. Companies are cutting benefits to try to save as much of their money as they can. You need to start off with the best benefit package you can get in the hopes that it still good after they are done. Your wife and son depend on it.

The job you have is also an open ended position. THey are paying you well, so they must see something in you that they like. You will learn just as much, if not more, than you will at the VA. The VA job is an internsip that will end in two years. The VA may get completely restructured by the next administration and who knows what will happen.

It seems a long way off, but your son is going to start school in about 4 years. You guys will need to make friends so that he can learn from your example. He will become much more rounded socially if you stay in the city. (Again with the foundations ;-) )

What does your wife say? Her vote has to carry more weight than your mother's. If you allow your mother to use your son to manipulate you, it will drive a wedge between you and your wife. That wedge will forever weaken (you guessed it) the foundation of your marriage. Your parents and her parents should be offering their advice but they should be advising you to do what is best for the three of you, not what will make them happy at your expense.

I wish you luck in dealing with this difficult decision. I've been on both sides (the person with the controlling parent and the spouse of a controlled child.) and neither is comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.