Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 02:18 PM

8 posts, read 5,012 times

Advertisements

If you’re coming from the North you’ll be at home in Charlotte. There’s no more Southern feel to Charlotte because of the mass relocation here from the North. Charlotte use to have local stores and restaurants that had great customer service. Now most of the stores are high end boutiques, corporate or big box and most of the restaurants are chains and there is very little actual customer service. In other words, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut Delaware and Rhode Island transplants have brought their harsh me, me, me personalities to our once gracious city. I’m sure there will be many who will think that’s not true and these will be the same folks who moved here without any idea of how it truly was like before. If you’ve lived in Charlotte for 25 years or more, you know what I mean. Charlotte has been forever changed and will never have that true southern hospitality again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 12:00 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRboy View Post
I haven’t really considered Texas yet. I think too conservative...
the state yeah. The cities, not really.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:26 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellB123 View Post
If you’re coming from the North you’ll be at home in Charlotte. There’s no more Southern feel to Charlotte because of the mass relocation here from the North. Charlotte use to have local stores and restaurants that had great customer service. Now most of the stores are high end boutiques, corporate or big box and most of the restaurants are chains and there is very little actual customer service. In other words, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut Delaware and Rhode Island transplants have brought their harsh me, me, me personalities to our once gracious city. I’m sure there will be many who will think that’s not true and these will be the same folks who moved here without any idea of how it truly was like before. If you’ve lived in Charlotte for 25 years or more, you know what I mean. Charlotte has been forever changed and will never have that true southern hospitality again.
Big box stores and chain restaurants move where boring suburbanites live who think a classy night out is Olive Garden or Cheesecake Factory. If anything, NY, NJ, and MA are as opposite as you can get from that since there is tons of local culture and local restaurants and local stores in every size downtown. This is not an effect of Northerners moving to Charlotte; it's an effect of Charlotte being the epitome of Southern Sunbelt boring suburbia lacking any real urban amenities comparative to its size. It's done an awesome job of attracting the boring finance suburbia types who wants to live in a cul de sac in a tract home and only eat at chain restaurants every day.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:23 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Maybe that is an East Coast thing. There are a bunch of local restaurants and stores in the suburbs here as well as big box stores. Bunch of both near the cores of Fort Worth and Dallas, too.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:30 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,407,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Big box stores and chain restaurants move where boring suburbanites live who think a classy night out is Olive Garden or Cheesecake Factory. If anything, NY, NJ, and MA are as opposite as you can get from that since there is tons of local culture and local restaurants and local stores in every size downtown. This is not an effect of Northerners moving to Charlotte; it's an effect of Charlotte being the epitome of Southern Sunbelt boring suburbia lacking any real urban amenities comparative to its size. It's done an awesome job of attracting the boring finance suburbia types who wants to live in a cul de sac in a tract home and only eat at chain restaurants every day.
I've never had Cheesecake Factory before, even though there's one a couple miles from me. I might need to give it a try.

Olive Garden, yuck.

One thing about the south I'll always love is the prominence of Waffle House. You'll find those things everywhere. A well run WH is pretty darn good. Wish we had more in the Midwest

Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRboy View Post
Hello!

I am in my mid-20s and I am looking to relocate from update NY and need help! I will be graduating with my master's degree this May in HR and is looking to relocate to a bigger city like DC, Atlanta, Chicago, Charlotte, etc. I've been doing a lot of research lately and I'm getting lots of mixed messaging. About me: Single, black, gay, young professional. Any advice? I think my top choices right now is DC (super expensive) & Charlotte.
Atlanta, Chicago, and Charlotte would all be good choices. My 4 young adult children (23-28) have all stayed in the Charlotte area and like it. There's plenty to do, especially outdoors. Yes, it's family oriented, but most anyone can find their niche'.

Too, even if an area is Conservative, don't rely on stereotypes to guide your decisions. I'm Conservative/Christian and most of us are very live-and-let-live. We have no problem with anyone who doesn't agree with us and can easily be friends, as long as the same respect and courtesy can be given. Don't rob yourself of meeting some great people just because they're Conservative. If society is going to be truly inclusive, the tolerance has to go both ways.

Good luck no matter where you land. A new move like this can be a bit daunting, especially when you're young. Take care!

Old 06-18-2019, 08:20 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times
Hands down your best choices would be Atlanta or Charlotte. But I wouldn't discount Dallas or Houston either.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:45 PM

232 posts, read 189,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I am from the NE and moved to the Charlotte area, and what you just stated is an exaggeration. There are a TON of local eateries down here. BBQ in particular is some of the best in the nation. Local seafood is here (though I prefer New England style, since its boiled and baked instead of fried.) Certain fried foods such as chiken and othe"Soul Food" is unparalleled in the South.

Also in Charlotte, I found, there's a very large South American population (mostly in east Charlotte), and many ethnic food places to choose from. Texas has the best BBQ beef and Tex-mex in the country, by far, IMO.

And don't kid yourself, up north we had the very same big box stores and chain restaurants. Instead of Waffle houses though, in New England, there are Dunkin Donuts on every block, it seems. Same CVS's, Walgreens, Starbucks, big chain steak houses, Red Lobster, etc., and malls with almost the exact same stores as the south.

Chain and big box stores are in every suburb up North. Quite a few cul de sac as well. Although not nearly as much new build tract home. Go North or west of Boston and tell me what you find. Go into Warwick, Cranston and other Massachusetts suburbs to the east of Providence and you will find much of the the same suburban lifestyles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.