Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 01:14 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times

Advertisements

A question for all southerners (and this is not meant to be snarky, I'm genuinely asking) where do you go in the heat of summer to escape? Us northerners frequently travel to warmer climates for a nice break during the winter. I enjoy a short getaway to FL or HI but I wouldn't want to move permanently.

Do southerners travel for a weather break? Skiing perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 01:25 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Higher elevations. I live in northeast TN. I have plenty of spots above 3000' for a hike or swim. There are places within 45 minutes of me at 5000'-6000'

Old 02-18-2019, 01:27 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
I live in the Charlotte area. The heat/humidity doesn't bother me at all personally. Hot or cold, if I can dress appropriately, I'm fine. In summer months, we (my wife, family, and I and most people I know) love going to the lake, beaches, the Whitewater Center in Charlotte, waterparks, greeways/parks. We also love going to the mountains (a little over an hour north and west of us). The temperatures are lower there, lots of woods/towering trees/springs/waterfalls/lakes/creeks/rivers/natural waterslides like Sliding Rock. We're usually outdoors most of the time.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:27 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Inside.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:35 PM

So taking a week-long or even a long weekend is not common? Just day trips?

Old 02-18-2019, 01:41 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
So taking a week-long or even a long weekend is not common? Just day trips?
Sure, we go to DC, Orlando, NYC, for vacations just like people in other regions. I personally don't pick a vacation spot based on climate. The places I mentioned are day/weekend trips. Am I misunderstanding your question in your original post?

Old 02-18-2019, 01:42 PM

749 posts, read 1,315,621 times
To the pool, the AC, patios with misting fans, the lake. Summer is just a part of life, and no one really looks at taking a vacation as"escaping the heat of summer". At least where I'm from. It's just something you either can handle, or can't.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Sure, we go to DC, Orlando, NYC, for vacations just like people in other regions. I personally don't pick a vacation spot based on climate. The places I mentioned are day/weekend trips. Am I misunderstanding your question in your original post?
No, you didn't misunderstand. Many northerners do take vacations based on escaping the winter weather if only for a week. Why go to Disney in July when you can go in January? People like to compare and contrast winters in the north to summers in the south. I was just wondering where one would go to escape the summer heat in the south. I'm not talking about your average vacation for vacation's sake.

Even people in the north (especially the north east) get away from the heat of the city on weekends. That's what the Catskills are all about (maybe not as much anymore).

Old 02-18-2019, 01:54 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,537,276 times
I break up the Miami summer with 2 trips—to CA and to Rio de Janeiro (their winter in August, but still a pleasant 72-80 degrees).

Old 02-18-2019, 01:57 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
No, you didn't misunderstand. Many northerners do take vacations based on escaping the winter weather if only for a week. Why go to Disney in July when you can go in January? People like to compare and contrast winters in the north to summers in the south. I was just wondering where one would go to escape the summer heat in the south. I'm not talking about your average vacation for vacation's sake.

Even people in the north (especially the north east) get away from the heat of the city on weekends. That's what the Catskills are all about (maybe not as much anymore).
Basically, you don't go anywhere to escape the heat, unless it's like annie-himself said on really hot days ... inside. The heat's not typically all that bad. The average high here is about 89 in July. It's just as hot in DC and St. Louis as it is here, and just as humid. You have to get to Philadelphia and northward before the humidity is really noticeably better. If the heat index is above 100, then you don't want to do much activity outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.