Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best rooftop city
Miami 7 24.14%
Atlanta 0 0%
Dallas 1 3.45%
Houston 0 0%
Seattle 3 10.34%
Nashville 4 13.79%
Charlotte 0 0%
Philly 5 17.24%
St.Louis 0 0%
Tampa 2 6.90%
DC 3 10.34%
Add your own Pittsburgh/KC/etc 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 10:52 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,362 times

Advertisements

Excluding a few for the obvious reasons, NY, Chicago and Vegas specialize in this experience in their own respects, just focusing on a few every day cities.

Also, size doesn’t equate to better in any way, I personally feel like my city (Atlanta) has mediocre rooftop scene to my knowledge, Nashville seems to punch above its weight for its size. Even Charlotte has few rooftop staples.

What to compare

-Diversity of rooftop options
-Accessibility, meaning not attached to hotels and other venues with ridiculous covers for non-guests
- most breathtaking views of city’s skyline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 03:31 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,384,851 times
Los Angeles has had a boom in rooftop options in the past decade especially in the Downtown, Hollywood and West Hollywood locations. Most of them are associated with hotels.
Here are just some of them in this youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCIf2eOieSE

Other popular places not listed in Downtown on this video are:
Ace Hotel Downtown
Perch (not hotel) in Downtown
JW Marriott Downtown
Freehand Hotel Downtown
OUE Tower above Skyspace Observation Deck is a the highest restaurant in the west coast.
Nomad Hotel Downtown

Soon in the future are:
Wayfarer Hotel Downtown (formally known as Ritz Milner Hotel)
Hoxton Hotel Downtown
Proper Hotel Downtown

LA doesnt have a lot of tall buildings and they werent built with having a bar/restaurant in mind, just airconditioning units. but lately more and more buildings are building more useful rooftops especially commercial buildings. Residential buildings would be more hot tub or small pool or lounge for residents not for public.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Los Angeles has had a boom in rooftop options in the past decade especially in the Downtown, Hollywood and West Hollywood locations. Most of them are associated with hotels.
Here are just some of them in this youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCIf2eOieSE

Other popular places not listed in Downtown on this video are:
Ace Hotel Downtown
Perch (not hotel) in Downtown
JW Marriott Downtown
Freehand Hotel Downtown
OUE Tower above Skyspace Observation Deck is a the highest restaurant in the west coast.
Nomad Hotel Downtown

Soon in the future are:
Wayfarer Hotel Downtown (formally known as Ritz Milner Hotel)
Hoxton Hotel Downtown
Proper Hotel Downtown

LA doesnt have a lot of tall buildings and they werent built with having a bar/restaurant in mind, just airconditioning units. but lately more and more buildings are building more useful rooftops especially commercial buildings. Residential buildings would be more hot tub or small pool or lounge for residents not for public.
You don’t have to possess a huge skyline to have a nice rooftop scene, DC has a few nice rooftops. Glad to see LA stepping it up though

Old 02-19-2019, 11:31 AM

3,142 posts, read 2,043,923 times
DC has an excellent rooftop scene.

This is a hard category to judge unless you've hit up multiple rooftop bars in a variety of cities. I haven't seen one better than DC's, but I also haven't lived in most other cities long enough to make a case for any of them.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:46 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
Excluding a few for the obvious reasons, NY, Chicago and Vegas specialize in this experience in their own respects, just focusing on a few every day cities.

Also, size doesn’t equate to better in any way, I personally feel like my city (Atlanta) has mediocre rooftop scene to my knowledge, Nashville seems to punch above its weight for its size. Even Charlotte has few rooftop staples.

What to compare

-Diversity of rooftop options
-Accessibility, meaning not attached to hotels and other venues with ridiculous covers for non-guests
- most breathtaking views of city’s skyline
I'm not sure most of ours rising Sunbelt cities are really - everyday cities. You can't see Atlanta or Miami as everyday cities.... can you?
I agree that Chicago is high in thus category last few years. Of course the Hotels have aplenty. I've visited Brew garden ones too. But some hotels just have such awesome views I've seen.
Some have night-views that impress for sure.

Just thought I'd see if others might post if I add a couple pictures of views alone to take in if in Chicago for a visit.

From the London House Hotel roof-top - nighttime - and from Chicago Athletic Assn + hotel.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-20-2019 at 12:55 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 12:08 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
DC has an excellent rooftop scene.

This is a hard category to judge unless you've hit up multiple rooftop bars in a variety of cities. I haven't seen one better than DC's, but I also haven't lived in most other cities long enough to make a case for any of them.
I think Miami takes this handily. I'd actually put Miami at No. 1 overall since it has more new highrise hotel/residential construction than nearly anywhere in the U.S. and year-round weather conducive to rooftop events.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I'm not sure most of ours rising Sunbelt cities are really - everyday cities. You can't see Atlanta or Miami as everyday cities.... can you?
I agree that Chicago is high in thus category last few years. Of course the Hotels have aplenty. I've visited Brew garden ones too. But some hotels just have such awesome views I've seen.
Some have night-views that impress for sure.

Just thought I'd see if others might post if I add a couple pictures of views alone to take in if in Chicago for a visit.

From the London House Hotel roof-top - nighttime - and from Chicago Athletic Assn + hotel.
Because in those cities the Highrise development is intrinsic to its identity and has been for a very long time. In Vegas, it is a peacock environment, they are selling you experiences like rooftop experiences and all that jazz.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:51 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think Miami takes this handily. I'd actually put Miami at No. 1 overall since it has more new highrise hotel/residential construction than nearly anywhere in the U.S. and year-round weather conducive to rooftop events.
Idk enough about Miami to say, but NYC is still really impressive given that we do actually get winter. Most rooftops have an enclosed area that can be used year-round. It doesn't seem like there is a single hotel going up without a rooftop bar lately. And even smaller/independent establishments have rooftops. The rooftops trend has also spread into Jersey, with Hoboken, Jersey City and even Newark getting in on the rooftop bar action.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:54 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Miami has Sugar rooftop bar at East Hotel—great views; Area 31 at Epic Kimpton; and Conrad Hotel has a nice view. Not rooftop—more deck overlooking the bay—are Crazy About You and, in Key Biscayne, Rusty Pelican has an awesome skyline view.

In Miami Beach, WATR rooftop at 1 Hotel is great. Juvia and Cibo have decent rooftop bars...the upper deck at Smith & Wollensky is a great spot, especially when the cruise ships go by and head out to sea.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Idk enough about Miami to say, but NYC is still really impressive given that we do actually get winter. Most rooftops have an enclosed area that can be used year-round. It doesn't seem like there is a single hotel going up without a rooftop bar lately. And even smaller/independent establishments have rooftops. The rooftops trend has also spread into Jersey, with Hoboken, Jersey City and even Newark getting in on the rooftop bar action.
I was just going to point this out. Not way Miami beats out NY here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.