Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 12:28 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times

Advertisements

Of course, here in California, no one does; it was on the Union side.

But going to St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana and Biloxi, Mississippi (both which are in mostly white, mostly Republican counties, by the way), everyone still called it the Civil War. Come to think of it, I didn't even see a single Confederate flag (other than the one plastered on the Mississippi state flag).

How prevalent is the use of the term the "War of Northern Aggression" in your part of The South?

P.S: I hear that the Texas education board's new history curriculum has been criticized for downplaying slavery's role in the Civil War. But I'm sure that wasn't racially motivated, because some mainstream historians put state's rights above slavery as the main cause of the Civil War.

Also, my brother kept his 4th grade American history textbook published by a Fundamental Independent Baptist college located in Pensacola, Florida. The textbook basically claimed that Andrew Johnson wanted to carry out Lincoln's plans faithfully...hmmmmm.....as a conservative Christian, I agree with most of their curriculum, but I'll have to disagree on this one. And this textbook was published little more than a decade ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 12:48 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Of course, here in California, no one does; it was on the Union side.

But going to St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana and Biloxi, Mississippi (both which are in mostly white, mostly Republican counties, by the way), everyone still called it the Civil War. Come to think of it, I didn't even see a single Confederate flag (other than the one plastered on the Mississippi state flag).

How prevalent is the use of the term the "War of Northern Aggression" in your part of The South?

P.S: I hear that the Texas education board's new history curriculum has been criticized for downplaying slavery's role in the Civil War. But I'm sure that wasn't racially motivated, because some mainstream historians put state's rights above slavery as the main cause of the Civil War.

Also, my brother kept his 4th grade American history textbook published by a Fundamental Independent Baptist college located in Pensacola, Florida. The textbook basically claimed that Andrew Johnson wanted to carry out Lincoln's plans faithfully...hmmmmm.....as a conservative Christian, I agree with most of their curriculum, but I'll have to disagree on this one. And this textbook was published little more than a decade ago!
In parts of Virginia you'll hear that stuff. "War of Northern Aggression," "Yankees," northern Virginia is "Occupied Virginia," etc. There's a bridge down there called the Monitor-Merrimac Bridge-Tunnel, commemorating the Civil War battle of the ironclads there. Some locals call it the "Merrimac-Monitor," intentionally naming the Confederate ship first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZuiO4mBOYY

Old 02-19-2019, 01:46 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
You went to St. Tammany and didnt see a flag huh? Rare lol. I don't think most people call it the war of northern aggression, those people, in my experience are full blown white nationalists types.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:40 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
In parts of Virginia you'll hear that stuff. "War of Northern Aggression," "Yankees," northern Virginia is "Occupied Virginia," etc.

I've never heard anyone outside of this forum and (apparently) some tv sitcoms use phrases like that. Believe it or not, the Civil War really isn't part of everyday life for most people.

Then again, I don't personally know every single person in Virginia, so who am I to say there isn't someone, somewhere down here who talks that way. Or someone in NJ who does. You never know. But if you really want my opinion, I think it's mostly just something you hear from folks who spend their days in their parent's basement on the computer, because they think that makes them sound "bad". They also think battles on another planet are part of everyday life, too.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 02-19-2019 at 06:12 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 08:51 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
I've obviously seen it on the internet but never in personal discussion. Some old time southerners still say the "War between the States" as opposed to "Civil War".

Speaking of rebel flags. I saw a rebel flag license plate today. See about one a week around here just driving around town.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:24 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
I've never heard of that phrase before. It's probably just a product of the Internet.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:30 AM

334 posts, read 227,329 times
I have heard it referred to as the War of Northern aggression a handful of times over the years in rural Georgia. But, even down here it is rarely a topic of conversation. Still do see the typical "confederate" flag around here though, on a weekly basis I see them on bumper stickers, in front of houses, etc.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:07 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
I've heard it.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:17 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Never heard it talked about as that, though I’ve seen it in books and online. It was called the Civil War mostly in school, though I think War Between the States was also used as an alternative title in textbooks (though no teacher from my recollection). I’ve been told that my great grandfather told me my belly button was where the Yankees shot me, but I don’t personally remember and no one else in my family has said boo about Yankees beyond the typical (overtaxed, overregulated, and overhere).

Old 02-19-2019, 10:36 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I've never heard of that phrase before. It's probably just a product of the Internet.
Not at all. Don't be so quick to think you know more about American history than you really do.

The below website indicates the term, "War of Northern Aggression" was specifically used by the Governor of South Carolina in 1956. The website also shows some more instances of the term being used in 1950's Southern newspapers:

https://deadconfederates.com/2011/06...t-revisionism/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.