Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 11:23 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Are you sure? Even my relatives in Hong Kong have all heard of La Jolla even without us telling them about it, even before they visited La Jolla.

Does Winston Salem have anything even half as well known as La Jolla or Balboa Park or UCSD? I'd have to say Winston-Salem is more overshadowed.
Winston-Salem is actually NC's fourth-largest MSA with Greensboro being third-largest, but Winston-Salem has produced and been home to more notable brands and institutions than Greensboro including popular brands of cigarettes named after the city itself and Wake Forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 11:28 AM
Status: ""...I wrote it down, now I follow thru..."" (set 12 days ago)

5,749 posts, read 5,511,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Rochester NY has to up there. Many people probably don't even know that it is a metro area with over 1 million people.
Rochester is definitely in the running. Underrated city...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Yep. Once technology started to evolve in the 80's and 90's the Triangle exploded and left the Triad in the dust.

That said, Greensboro is starting to shed its "Greensboring" image. Their Downtown area is a lot more lively and hopping with businesses and patrons than it was 10 years ago. Winston-Salem has a small but decent live music scene. Neither will catch Charlotte or Raleigh anytime soon (and actually Durham is getting close to surpassing Greensboro in population) but they're doing well for being the "3rd wheel".
Greensboro's downtown still lags behind the downtowns of similarly-sized cities. Very poor downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Texas, California and Florida have 3rd and 4th cities that could be the anchor metros for around 30 states. That's what intrigues me about these cities. I guess I should ask how big the sphere of influence each of those cities have in their states.
I can't speak so much for SD, but Sacramento, as CA's #4, has a relatively large sphere of influence...

There is slight overlap, as to be expected, bit north-south Sac's influence runs along the I-5 corridor and can be felt from Redding to Modesto. If you want a more strict boundary, you can shorten the length, but both Chico and Stockton are unquestionably in the Sacramento sphere...

West-east: Sacramento's sphere extends into The Bay as far west as Fairfield; once you pass all those truck stops and outlet malls around Fairfield, you culturally are firmly in The Bay. Fairfield has influences from both sides, though...

Sacramento's influence extends all the way to the Nevada state line, Tahoe/Reno/Carson City. Sacramento is very popular with Nevadans from this region...

Sacramento has a legitimate and realistic sphere of influence to about 4.2-4.5 million people, depending on how strictly you want to define it. It is completely underrated and overshadowed on a national scale, though I have known many East Coasters who have been. I will also say that aside from SD being the larger city with the more renown tourism base, Sacramento isn't far off from being a credible #3 (but is #4 as currently stands). I'd assume SD has a larger sphere of influence, but Sacramento on a cultural, social, and political scale, is the primary city for about 4.5 million people...

As you said, Sacramento would be the largest or second largest city in most states:

2nd-Largest
NY, IL, GA, MA, AZ, MI, WA, MN, CO, MD, MO, NC, OR

Largest
AK, HI, NV, UT, WY, MT, ID, NM, ND, SD, KS, OK, NE, IA, AR, LA, WI, IN, OH, TN, MS, AL, SC, VA, WV, DE, NJ, CT, RI, VT, NH, ME

That's 45 states that Sacramento would be #1 or #2 in undisputedly, by size. Yet in CA, its #4...

Last edited by murksiderock; 02-24-2019 at 11:44 AM..

Old 02-24-2019, 11:51 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,907,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Winston-Salem is actually NC's fourth-largest MSA with Greensboro being third-largest, but Winston-Salem has produced and been home to more notable brands and institutions than Greensboro including popular brands of cigarettes named after the city itself and Wake Forest.
I'm a non smoker, so I wouldn't know any other brands other than Camel and Marlboro.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:58 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,412,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I can't speak so much for SD, but Sacramento, as CA's #4, has a relatively large sphere of influence...
Sacramento is California’s #5 city, San Jose is its 4th.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:03 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I'm a non smoker, so I wouldn't know any other brands other than Camel and Marlboro.
It's not a well-known nickname but one of Winston-Salem's is Camel City.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:31 PM

724 posts, read 552,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Sacramento is California’s #5 city, San Jose is its 4th.
I know this is City Data, but do people in real life really consider San Jose as a separate entity from the rest of the Bay Area? To me at least, its all one metro area. Not saying that SJ is a suburb of SF by any means, but SF-SJ-OAK all seem to be part of the same cultural/political/economic area. Hell I know whenever the Caps play the Sharks, they fly into SFO instead of SJ.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:59 PM

13,942 posts, read 14,823,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
sort of; Allentown is a larger area than most would think but is overshawdowed by NYC and Philly which are both 90 minutes away. It sort of becomes a bit of an afterthought because it straddles the most populated area in the country.

though am not sure what would be the most

for TX places like Austin or SA get a lot of pub

in CA San Diego is def well known

in Ohio the three c's are pretty well known

for Florida the three largest all get a lot of recognition including Tampa

most states don't have three major areas, most don't have 2 and some not even 1

not sure what would be the most

Maybe its Rochester actually, nearly the size of NOLA or SLC
Austin and San Antonio and Columbus have nearly or over 2,000,000 people Allentown has like 850,000. They shouldn’t have nearly the same profile.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:12 PM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
I would suggest an "overlooked" finalist might be St Petersburg which is mentioned I think just once in this thread as part of the Tampa Bay MSA. It's tied at 4th largest in city in Florida with Orlando in terms of population (although Orlando's sprawling annexations might have surpassed it) and has a much more significant downtown area in terms of amenities (especially culture/the arts).

Old 02-24-2019, 01:49 PM

8,753 posts, read 6,674,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
I know this is City Data, but do people in real life really consider San Jose as a separate entity from the rest of the Bay Area? To me at least, its all one metro area. Not saying that SJ is a suburb of SF by any means, but SF-SJ-OAK all seem to be part of the same cultural/political/economic area. Hell I know whenever the Caps play the Sharks, they fly into SFO instead of SJ.
No, it's part of the San Francisco area. That's an ongoing debate of course.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:03 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,907,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
No, it's part of the San Francisco area. That's an ongoing debate of course.
And San Jose, however culturally underrated you may think it is, is not at all overshadowed, what with all the press Silicon Valley is getting these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.