Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 01:27 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I'm a non smoker, so I wouldn't know any other brands other than Camel and Marlboro.
I get what you're saying but being a non-smoker doesn't necessarily mean that you would have heard of only two brands. I've also never smoked and could probably name quite a few. Maybe 10 or so probably because I've had relatives that smoked. Winston and Salem would definitely be among the ten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 01:30 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Are you sure? Even my relatives in Hong Kong have all heard of La Jolla even without us telling them about it, even before they visited La Jolla.

Does Winston Salem have anything even half as well known as La Jolla or Balboa Park or UCSD? I'd have to say Winston-Salem is more overshadowed.
I'm sure that San Diego is much, much more famous than Winston Salem, but LA and SF are much more famous than Raleigh and Charlotte, so it's relative as to which is more overshadowed.

I think that you overestimate UCSD though. I think the average American doesn't know the distinction between SDSU, UCSD, and USD.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:36 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I get what you're saying but being a non-smoker doesn't necessarily mean that you would have heard of only two brands. I've also never smoked and could probably name quite a few. Maybe 10 or so probably because I've had relatives that smoked. Winston and Salem would definitely be among the ten.
None of my relatives have ever smoked, so go figure! No wonder I've never heard of that Winston and Salem brand.

The most famous thing to come out of Winston Salem is Krispy Kreme, but who really knew its hq was in Winston Salem?

Old 02-24-2019, 10:00 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times
Quote:
I think that you overestimate UCSD though. I think the average American doesn't know the distinction between SDSU, UCSD, and USD.
I mean, the average American is a moron. I'd bet that most people don't even know what CalTech is, or the Claremont-McKenna colleges, but they'd know Gonzaga in...Spokane, WA? Americans care about sports schools like USC and UCLA.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:23 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
I know this is City Data, but do people in real life really consider San Jose as a separate entity from the rest of the Bay Area? To me at least, its all one metro area. Not saying that SJ is a suburb of SF by any means, but SF-SJ-OAK all seem to be part of the same cultural/political/economic area. Hell I know whenever the Caps play the Sharks, they fly into SFO instead of SJ.
No, no one looks at SJ as a separate entity, just like no one looks at Oakland as a separate place. It's all Bay Area in real life...

To be fair though, I think SJ is a Top 5 city in Cali, if we are strictly talking cities...

Quote:
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Sacramento is California’s #5 city, San Jose is its 4th.
I was speaking regionally. LA, Bay, SD, Sac...

There is great fluidity in the structure of Cali cities after the top 3. San Diego isn't all that far ahead of San Jose and Sacramento and Oakland, and depending on what criteria being considered, Oak/Sac/SJ can be numbered any way from 4-6. There is a bigger gap between LA and SF to SD, than SD to Oak/SJ/Sac...

Old 02-25-2019, 06:10 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
Agree....as I stated earlier, doubt some/many people on the East Coast, South, certainly outside the US, know how good UCSD is in its field of expertise (life sciences and engineering).... just as Amherst is overshadowed by the Ivy’s and a host of other top schools outside that region (Duke, Chicago, Northwestern, Virginia, Johns Hopkins, etc etc). Not sure a UCSD degree has the pull/clout in the Midwest or East when looking for a job as Hopkins, MIT, Stanford, Princeton etc does nationwide.

In UCSD’s case, it’s expertise—though great—is limited to STEM...they do have a graduate business school but it is unranked and they do not have a law school—unlike Berkeley and UCLA which are more rounded in that regard, older/more established along with strong(er) alumni network, and UCLA has the added benefit of being recognized by its sports programs..

Quote:

Last edited by elchevere; 02-25-2019 at 06:53 AM..

Old 02-25-2019, 08:28 AM

12,835 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
UCSD is absolutely world class, though. Comparable with UT Austin in CompSci. Tampa and San Antone have no unis even close to UCSD. Austin overshadows San Antonio because of UT Austin.
Yeah, I went to UT Austin, but even I will acknowledge that some of the regional UC schools are at least on par with Texas. Kind of sad actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I mean, the average American is a moron. I'd bet that most people don't even know what CalTech is, or the Claremont-McKenna colleges, but they'd know Gonzaga in...Spokane, WA? Americans care about sports schools like USC and UCLA.
USC and UCLA are both pretty good schools, but yeah, not in Cal Tech's league.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Greensboro's downtown still lags behind the downtowns of similarly-sized cities. Very poor downtown...
Greensboro's downtown is certainly a bit on the small side compared to its peers but I wouldn't say it's "very poor." Most of it is aesthetically nice and Elm Street is quite vibrant. There is new development planned and under construction that will make it into a more well-rounded place.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:09 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Yeah you don’t really hear much about Tampa at all except if you’re into pro sports or have family who retired in the area. I think more or less of it like the San Diego of Florida, except the Tampa area has more people than Orlando. It’s a weird dynamic. I wonder why Walt Disney chose Orlando to build his park rather than somewhere closer to the coast.

Central Florida, like San Antonio-Austin are all growing into each other eventually. So this might be an outdated topic in 30 years.
The answer is actually pretty simple- It's because Walt Disney couldn't afford coastal property, and it was much cheaper to build his massive complex in the swamps and lakes of interior Florida. And, other more established metros like Miami-Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa-St. Petersburg already existed and had geographic constraints limiting such huge development. Anyway, once the sprawling complex was built, other amusement parks expanded and the region became a huge tourist draw.

Again, if the whole TB area was centered around one, much larger city-like a Seattle or a Denver- rather than decentralized/spread out among several hubs, I think you'd hear more about the region. But ultimately you're right- in the not-too-distant future, the area will blur together. If Governor Scott hadn't turned down funds for the bullet train, the link would've helped accelerate the blending as a region.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:58 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They used to be in a single MSA but since 2003 (I believe) the MSA became a CSA and Winston-Salem and Greensboro/High Point became separate MSAs. Greensboro is the third largest MSA in the state and Winston-Salem is fourth.
There used to be a time when the Triad was arguably NC's most important metro with both the furniture and textiles industries there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.