Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 10:42 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,376,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You'd be surprised at the sheer number of people who say things like "I'm looking to move to Dallas. I'm outdoorsy. Really into hiking and camping. Where should I live?"

Of course if you tell them DFW isn't very outdoorsy the snowflake homers will jump all over you and say idiotic crap like "What do you mean DFW isn't outdoorsy? I play golf/tennis in January in shorts, and I see people running and playing pickup basketball all the time. DFW is way more outdoorsy than people think." I've even seen a poster say that DFW has great hiking. Umm, no, it doesn't. It has a few average trails at Cedar Ridge and a ton of crap ones, but nothing at all that a truly avid hiker would consider "great."
If you tell them that Dallas is less dense than LA they will go crazy. OH and don't you dare say it's an affordable place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 03:52 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Bluescreen like to make strawmen to bash places by, first, making up ridiculous claims supposedly made by "homers" and, second, debunking the ridiculous claims the vast majority of homers, natives, and residents do not believe or make.
Oh yeah, this also applies to Gaylord Focker (unless he can provide any proof or evidence most Dallasites on here make those claims he say they do), but he mostly just targets Dallas.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:14 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,240,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
According to your criteria there are only four "mountains" on the entire planet.
You missed the /s.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:36 AM

461 posts, read 538,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think there's some pretty drives in Austin. Like heading west on 2222. You feel more immersed in it than you do in Denver, it being the hills or mountains. But, nothing in Texas touches the drive out on I 70 in Denver. But to each their own. I'm sure there are pretty parts in Oklahoma too.
The drive "out on I 70 in Denver" goes through a hideous industrial district and barely populated suburbia.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:45 AM

461 posts, read 538,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I also lived near the Alps and have vacationed there many times - believe me, the Alps dwarf any US mountains
No they don't, and you know what "believe me" means to a New Yorker?

Old 03-03-2019, 09:02 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,260,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
No they don't, and you know what "believe me" means to a New Yorker?
I don't care what it means to a New Yorker, and I don't care whether or not you agree with my opinion for that matter. Just to be clear.

But we can agree to disagree if it makes you feel better!

Old 03-03-2019, 09:15 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,260,650 times
I haven't met a mountain or hilly area that I don't like - I love the views, the vistas, the twists and turns, the interesting geographical elements of mountains, plateaus, hills, etc. It doesn't matter where they are located - I just like them, including the area to the west of Austin. I think it has a great vibe and I enjoy the views. If I want different views, I'll go to different regions. No, the Hill Country isn't the Alps or the Rockies, or even the Appalachians or the Ouachitas or (fill in the blank with whatever you like). It's the Hill Country. It's what I expect it to be and I think it's very appealing.

Also, that area has a uniquely Texas vibe about it, just like other mountain or hill regions do in their various locations. That's always interesting.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,188,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
According to your criteria there are only four "mountains" on the entire planet.
There are hundreds of peaks over 18,000.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:55 AM

17,636 posts, read 13,452,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There are hundreds of peaks over 18,000.
Yes, total elevation.

However, only four are over 18,000 feet from bottom to top (relief)

And none in the lower 48 as you suggested.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:08 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,691,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximalist View Post
Visited Texas Hill country for the first time last week and I gotta say; coming from California, the hills surrounding Austin and San Antonio weren’t that awe-ing or and lacked wow factor. For a Texan who stayed around flat Houston and Dallas I can see why i’d be scenic and possibly even the most amazing nature they’ve seen in their early lifes’.

Most of the time the hills are so small that the dense tall trees hide the distant views of giving the illusion of being in the middle of a valley. You wouldn’t even know the elevation changed until you feel your automobile needing more acceleration in certain roads.
Why do you ask so many irrelevant questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.