Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 10:56 AM

42 posts, read 26,442 times

Advertisements

I'm from upstate NY and I've never liked it here. I really dislike the dreary wet weather. The summers are humid, rainy, and buggy and the winters are dreary, wet, and slushy. There's an excessive amount of rules and regulations the taxes are high. I feel the scenery looks identical even if I drive for hours. I don't understand what people like about this area.

I would like to move in roughly 5 years hopefully. I'm looking for a place in the mountains, with some trees, and without crowds of people. I think this narrows me down to the forest around Santa Fe, the forest around Flagstaff, southern Colorado? and maybe Montana. I would like to avoid -30f winters which I know Montana has but I've heard a few spots are a bit milder.

I visited Colorado about 12 years ago and loved it. The mountains, the giant public lands, the big open vistas all amazing. I spent all of my time camping in national forests and rarely saw another person.

I went back last summer and I had a hard time hiking or camping without being in a crowd of people. This was mostly national forest along I70 so I guess to be expected but it was much different than 12 years ago. Is southern Colorado just as crowded?

I want to start taking some trips out and visiting different spots over the next few years to get an idea. A small town with a grocery store and hardware store is all I really require having a city within 3 hours drive would be nice too.

Suggestions for places I should check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 11:25 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Sure, parts of Montana are more mild but you're still going to have -30F nights. And the milder places are certainly not up in the mountains. Oh, and 2/3 of Montana is plains.

Your best bet for relatively mild climate (for Montana standards) with access to wooded/mountainous areas is Helena but you'll still have days of -30F. And don't you worry, they don't actually close down due to weather. Life goes on including outdoor work. Trust me and my toes.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:26 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,105 times
Do you have an ideal budget for housing? It is hard to recommend somewhere without knowing what you can afford. Will you be retired? What do you define as a city for being within 3 hrs of? Do you mean like a Denver-sized city or something 50,000+?

Old 03-05-2019, 11:40 AM

I'm in my late 20s now I own a small business and a few rentals my gf is about to be a physical therapist. My plan is to retire early maybe I'll have to wait a little more than 5 years. Neither of us spends any money I don't want a fancy life. I want to buy a decent size piece of land at least 10 acres and build a little house and a bigger workshop.

Something like this.

[url]https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Fsr-151-Hart-Prairie-Rd-Flagstaff-AZ-86001/2111202219_zpid/[url]

I dont have an exact budget. Im guessing maybe 400-500k as an upper limit for land.

I meant a major city within 3-4 hours to be able to see music or shows otherwise I have no need for cities. Its not an absolute it would just be nice.

I lived in Williston ND for a year so im familiar with -30 and life going on as normal.

Last edited by mtnwatcher; 03-05-2019 at 12:00 PM..

Old 03-05-2019, 12:37 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwatcher View Post
I'm in my late 20s now I own a small business and a few rentals my gf is about to be a physical therapist. My plan is to retire early maybe I'll have to wait a little more than 5 years. Neither of us spends any money I don't want a fancy life. I want to buy a decent size piece of land at least 10 acres and build a little house and a bigger workshop.

Something like this.

[url]https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/Fsr-151-Hart-Prairie-Rd-Flagstaff-AZ-86001/2111202219_zpid/[url]

I dont have an exact budget. Im guessing maybe 400-500k as an upper limit for land.

I meant a major city within 3-4 hours to be able to see music or shows otherwise I have no need for cities. Its not an absolute it would just be nice.

I lived in Williston ND for a year so im familiar with -30 and life going on as normal.
That rules out all of Montana. Unless you consider Spokane, WA a major city. I don't know many who would. Kalispell to Calgary is just over five hours but Kalispell is a lot more overcast.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:52 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
The East Mountains, across Tijeras Pass from Albuquerque, might work for you. You might look at Cedar Crest, Tijeras, or the town of Edgewood. They are on the "back side" of the Sandia and Manzano mountains close to the national forest. Almost anywhere in Albuquerque would be around a 45 minute drive. (I-40 goes through Tijeras Canyon into Albuquerque).

Old 03-05-2019, 01:55 PM

I would think Spokane is big enough that musicians stop there on tour.

I'm still wondering is southern Colorado crowded as well? What about the national forests in AZ and NM is it easy to hike up mountains and not see tons of people?

Old 03-05-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I would think Spokane is big enough that musicians stop there on tour.

I'm still wondering is southern Colorado crowded as well? What about the national forests in AZ and NM is it easy to hike up mountains and not see tons of people?
Colorado south of Pueblo is fairly sparse.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Colorado south of Pueblo is fairly sparse.
So Durango, Pagosa Springs, and Cuchara might work for what I'm looking for.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
So Durango, Pagosa Springs, and Cuchara might work for what I'm looking for.
They might be a tad colder than you are looking for, but it likely would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.