Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 03:23 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I agree with you mostly, but what if we threw in Hawaii as part of the West Coast? How much would that level the playing field for you?
Only if the east coast gets Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 04:44 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Only if the east coast gets Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands.
Sure. How does Hawaii stack up against Florida and Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands?

Old 03-13-2019, 05:01 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Sure. How does Hawaii stack up against Florida and Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands?
I'd say Florida + PR + USVI ties with HI. The only thing that FL lacks compared to HI is mountains. PR and USVI aren't as dramatic as HI, but I'd say you get very close. HI has the exotic Pacific Island feel. PR and the USVI have the exotic Caribbean feel. The three islands feels very foreign. Obviously HI packs more into one space in terms of beaches. You get the urban SoBe feel in Honolulu but then the equally relaxing tropical vacation vibe of PR and the USVI right on the same island, or even more relaxing by leaving Oahu. What PR and the USVI win for is the historic architecture IMO. I can't think of anything that resembles Old San Juan or the large collections of colonial architecture of the USVI in HI. There are some, but a lot is modern or just suburban style. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. It's been a while since I've been to HI.

If the West adds HI and the East adds PR and the USVI, then the East still wins IMO. The only thing missing from the East is the tropical beaches with mountains. You get that then, plus the still better East Coast beaches.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
the Virgin Islands have sort of mountains on the beach, nothing as tall as the taller areas of HI though some looks similar bluer water though

I love HI, the us virgin may be underestimated by many in the visual appeal including elevation from the beach

https://www.google.com/search?q=us+v...=1552518150227

PR is not without elevation either

though to me this should be more mainland as HI and PR and the US Virgin islands American Somoa etc are all fantastic but not part of the lower 48 EC or WC

end of the day people will likely prefer one more than the other, I love both even if for different reasons, but hey its great to have all the great offerings we do have

Old 03-14-2019, 10:19 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'd say Florida + PR + USVI ties with HI. The only thing that FL lacks compared to HI is mountains. PR and USVI aren't as dramatic as HI, but I'd say you get very close. HI has the exotic Pacific Island feel. PR and the USVI have the exotic Caribbean feel. The three islands feels very foreign. Obviously HI packs more into one space in terms of beaches. You get the urban SoBe feel in Honolulu but then the equally relaxing tropical vacation vibe of PR and the USVI right on the same island, or even more relaxing by leaving Oahu. What PR and the USVI win for is the historic architecture IMO. I can't think of anything that resembles Old San Juan or the large collections of colonial architecture of the USVI in HI. There are some, but a lot is modern or just suburban style. Please correct me if I'm wrong though. It's been a while since I've been to HI.

If the West adds HI and the East adds PR and the USVI, then the East still wins IMO. The only thing missing from the East is the tropical beaches with mountains. You get that then, plus the still better East Coast beaches.
I still find it hard that Hawaii might beat the warm waters and historic architecture, and vegetation of St. Augustine. Hawaii is lush only on its windward sides, but Waikiki/Diamond Head is rather scrubby looking, being on the leeward side.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:24 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
The Gulf Coast is the East Coast.

I have only been to the Gulf Coast. I can now say I have touched the Atlantic because what is the Gulf, it's own ocean? A giant lake? Nope. It's part of the Atlantic.

The Gulf of Mexico is a distinct body of water. And the beaches are markedly different both in terms of sand and the nature of the surf. As someone who has been on a host of Atlantic beaches (Which, by your confession, you have not), give me the Gulf any day.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:32 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
West coast has real waves. East coast is piddly little things.
Northwest beaches also have those piddly little things. (All the better for launching canoes...). It's California that has the real wave action.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:29 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
I like the East Coast beaches in the South. Some of my favorites

- Cocoa Beach, FL
- Myrtle Beach, SC
- Outer Banks, NC
- Pensacola, FL
- Gulf Shores, AL
- Bahia Honda and the Florida Keys in general

The Jersey Shore is very depressing in comparison both in terms of the cultural, the built environment and the natural environment compared to Southern beaches.

Southern California has some decent beaches but most of the West Coast is rocky shoreline

Old 03-15-2019, 02:47 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I like the East Coast beaches in the South. Some of my favorites

- Cocoa Beach, FL
- Myrtle Beach, SC
- Outer Banks, NC
- Pensacola, FL
- Gulf Shores, AL
- Bahia Honda and the Florida Keys in general

The Jersey Shore is very depressing in comparison both in terms of the cultural, the built environment and the natural environment compared to Southern beaches.

Southern California has some decent beaches but most of the West Coast is rocky shoreline
I mean, everyone has their own opinions, but what Jersey Shore beaches have you been to? I never get a depressing vibe or feel like there is a lack of culture or that the built environment is highly lacking or that the natural environment is ugly. Some parts maybe. But most no.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:09 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I mean, everyone has their own opinions, but what Jersey Shore beaches have you been to? I never get a depressing vibe or feel like there is a lack of culture or that the built environment is highly lacking or that the natural environment is ugly. Some parts maybe. But most no.
I've been to Atlantic City. Also been to other northeastern beaches like Ocean City MD and Rehoboth Beach, DE and seen pictures of Coney Island.

Far inferior to southern beaches like the Outer Banks, the Florida Panhandle or Myrtle Beach or Daytona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.