U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 09:23 PM

18,437 posts, read 4,504,283 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am considering retiring at some point.I want to keep my search limited to the South or Southwest. I figure I could possibly have a 30,000 to 40,000 a year income in retirement.I dont have many things i like to do besides church and television/internet,family,traveling and friends.Finding a good church for me to go to in my new location is very important in my search.I am a Republican but I would fine with living in a moderate-leaning environment.I would like to avoid the big cities.I dont want to live in coastal areas because of hurricanes and tornadoes really scare me.Are there any parts of the South that are lower twister risk like areas that are not in Dixie Alley?Good healthcare is important.

I would like a safe area.I am from Midland, Texas but the cost of living is real high.Rent is close to 2,000 a month here.I would like to live somewhere where its not dry so i can buy beer and wine.Also, having a starbucks or a coffee shop would be nice.I would also like the place to have a McDonalds and or IHOP or Waffle House or similar breakfast place.I would want my new location to have fried chicken like Kentucky Fried Chicken and donuts.I want warm winters.I would be fine with lows in the 20's and afternoons in the 50's.I would prefer small towns or small to mid-sized cities. I am single with no kids.Do yall have any ideas?Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 07:39 AM

21,581 posts, read 31,261,392 times
For starters living inland away from the coast is no insurance against hurricanes or tornadoes. You might check out cities like Knoxville TN or Lexington KY which are both university towns that provide plenty of services as well as good healthcare options and quieter suburban options in town still close to amenities. Neither is at risk from hurricanes and not especially tornado-prone.

https://www.apartments.com/1-bedroom...gvn-myI_w63p6G
https://www.apartments.com/1-bedroom...-jnqgnIz7-p6_G

Old 03-11-2019, 09:46 AM

25,168 posts, read 18,675,659 times
I live in northeast TN.

Knoxville is a good recommendation. The cost of living is reasonable, and UT Medical Center and Covenant Health combine for a pretty good local healthcare environment. UT-Knoxville offers college sports at the highest level, and the university offers a lot of free or low cost things to do.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:08 PM

7,370 posts, read 4,048,587 times
You might consider New Mexico. It would be small(er) town living. Midland is bigger than Las Cruces and other places like Alamogordo are smaller (30k). Alamogordo borders White Sands and there's an Air Force base (Holloman AFB). Las Cruces has a state university. Socorro is smaller still (9000) but it also has a university and is within an hour or so of Albuquerque. We have no tornadoes except on the eastern edge of the state and maybe just an occasional tropical storm remnant out of Baja. It is low humidity and four seasons. Northern New Mexico, like Santa Fe or Taos, is probably too costly. NM is a "blue" state but the southern counties are a shade or two more "red".

When I moved six years ago I had a hard time settling on a church that felt right. That was a lot harder than I expected and I'm not totally satisfied but finally settled in. If you have certain church requirements you might want to check that out before you decide on a place.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:20 PM

5,437 posts, read 7,847,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Hi everyone,

I am considering retiring at some point.I want to keep my search limited to the South or Southwest. I figure I could possibly have a 30,000 to 40,000 a year income in retirement.I dont have many things i like to do besides church and television/internet,family,traveling and friends.Finding a good church for me to go to in my new location is very important in my search.I am a Republican but I would fine with living in a moderate-leaning environment.I would like to avoid the big cities.I dont want to live in coastal areas because of hurricanes and tornadoes really scare me.Are there any parts of the South that are lower twister risk like areas that are not in Dixie Alley?Good healthcare is important.

I would like a safe area.I am from Midland, Texas but the cost of living is real high.Rent is close to 2,000 a month here.I would like to live somewhere where its not dry so i can buy beer and wine.Also, having a starbucks or a coffee shop would be nice.I would also like the place to have a McDonalds and or IHOP or Waffle House or similar breakfast place.I would want my new location to have fried chicken like Kentucky Fried Chicken and donuts.I want warm winters.I would be fine with lows in the 20's and afternoons in the 50's.I would prefer small towns or small to mid-sized cities. I am single with no kids.Do yall have any ideas?Thanks in advance.
Oklahoma fits the bill other than the Tornado risk. Most of Oklahoma City and points east would be similar to Midland with lower property taxes and more green areas/tree-belt within the Crosstimbers ecoregion.

You would have to deal with a lot of Oklahoma Sooner Crimson though. I don't know if you can handle that coming from Midland. :-)

Old 03-11-2019, 02:29 PM

4,053 posts, read 1,764,220 times
In the Southwest, I'd recommend Las Cruces, NM. In the Southeast, Knoxville TN, Roanoke VA, or Fayetteville/Springdale, AR.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:51 PM

3,891 posts, read 1,862,040 times
To get an idea of tornado risk:
-Average tornado's per state per year: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/climate-in...do-climatology
-Tornado reports each year on a map (change the year drop down box to desired then click 'Submit', then click the map with red dots just below the submit button to see enlarged map where tornadoes were that year, also some other info in the 'Report' drop down box,): https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/tornadoes/201813
-Also keep in mind only a few areas have those huge ef5 monsters.

Any coastal area is at risk for hurricanes in the US (top risk: Storm Surge (like a higher high tide), inland flooding from heavy rains (can effect almost any state), winds, tornadoes (usually weak and short lived and almost always occur on the NE corner of the storm), saturated grounds and winds just above 30mph start to bring trees down here and there). But some Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic shores are more likely to see hurricanes than others (See link below). And the West coast of the US mainly just sees the remnants of Pacific storm that come up through Baja area or Mexico itself. Very southern CA has super low risk, near zero. Waters are too cold to support a Hurricane really US West coast (they like water temps around 78 degrees or warmer). You can see some hurricane statistics here: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/

When I retire I'll be looking where a good internet connection is and go from there! But I think I'm about done with high humidity in the summers here in the SE US so I may eventually move up into the Appalachian mountains or consider something out West.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:33 PM

12,019 posts, read 33,405,495 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

You have described the area around Cookeville, Tennessee, which is an hour east of Nashville. It's a very popular retirement area, and one of the reasons is because of its low cost of living. It's also a beautiful area with a generally mild climate. Another big selling point (especially since you specifically mentioned the internet) is even the very rural areas outside of Cookeville have super fast gigabit/fiber internet.

Cookeville is a small town (35,000) but functions as a much larger town, with 200+ restaurants, lots of shopping, several breweries, a couple of wineries, and even a whiskey distillery right downtown. And it's surrounded by 100+ waterfalls, 1200 miles of lakeshore, and is just an hour from the Nashville airport.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 03-13-2019, 07:46 AM

5,564 posts, read 3,845,477 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

You have described Carrollton, Georgia. Check it out

http://www.city-data.com/city/Carrollton-Georgia.html

Old 03-17-2019, 04:08 PM

18,437 posts, read 4,504,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
You have described Carrollton, Georgia. Check it out

http://www.city-data.com/city/Carrollton-Georgia.html
Okay thanks for the suggestion,Southern man.I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or