Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

A good place to live: crime statistics, find a job, taxes, traffic, Christmas.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 06:49 AM

56 posts, read 223,837 times

Advertisements

Karla, great post! I just came off one post where they wanted people to post where the worst place was that they ever lived. I decided to go in and read.Wow! What an eye opener! I couldn't think of ONE place that I would have put on there. I have lived in many different states and abroad as a child,and I always managed to find ways to embrace the place I lived.Home is where you hang your hat,and happiness can be found anywhere. I have always gone in with the attitude that I will focus on the things that I love, not on the things I don't understand. Let's all point out the great things and gently point out the things that might give cause to pause. Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 07:05 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuzyaluz View Post
Actually even Detroit is seeing some gentrification at this time and I do have family that live there--my niece and her husband. She's a CPA, he's in Finance, I think--both love it there. He grew up in NY state, she in Downers Grove, IL and Kalamazoo, MI. We also have relatives in Ludington-we get to see them in July--only month they aren't snowed in .
It's still not all cracked up as people make it out to be! (Detroit-the city-that is!)

You step/drive outside one of them "gentrifed" neighborhoods, it a stark constrast-like day and night! It gets depressing after awhile!

Old 12-30-2006, 10:31 AM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
I have been reading allot of the posts for different cities
Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand why I have seen so many posts (mostly negative) for areas from people that have never lived there.
Maybe the best way is to ask yourself before posting:
"is this first hand accurate information"
"am I posting this because I need to vent"
"am I just very unhappy here but others find it a good place to live"
"am I adding my "2 cents" because I'm bored and there is nothing else to do "
I think we have a certain "responsibility" as human beings to really think about what we post.

Karla
My observations:

1. Too many people don't/won't/can't even do the most basic internet research on a major decision like relocation. "What's it like in (fill in blank)?" should get a response of "Look it up," because those same people will ask the same question about every town imaginable if the first one doesn't pan out. If they are obviously search engine deficient (as opposed to lazy) instead of giving them an answer, tell them where they can find the information and/or give them the search engine words to use so they don't keep asking the same questions over and over with different towns.

2. Too many people don't know how to get to the next page on these forums or they wouldn't be asking the same question that was asked two days earlier. They also don't know how to find/use the "Search this forum" feature. Instead of answering their question, tell them how to do these things.

3. People who ask "feelings" questions about relocation deserve "feelings" answers. Asking relocation questions like "Is there too much snow in (fill in blank)?" or, "Are the schools any good in (fill in blank)? Or, is there a lot drugs in (fill in blank)? are going to get opinions based on the responder's perspective. Instead of giving them "feelings" answers, give them data (or a link) and let them figure out if it's worse/better, too much or too little. Just think, if someone recently moved to your potential new town of 50,000 people, from NYC and another has recently moved there from Mayberry, do you think you are going to get the same answer from them, to the question, "Is it too congested in (potential new town of 50,000)?" They aren't lying to you. NYC guy won't think it's congested and Mayberry guy will think there's way too much traffic.

4. People don't use their heads. If you were sitting in your home and wanted to know if there were any pizza places in your town, you'd pick up the yellow pages directory, right? So, if people want to know if there are any pizza places in (fill in the blank) they should go to the online yellow pages and look it up. If you want to know what's happening in your town this weekend, you'd pick up the newspaper, right? So if people want to know what's happening in their potential new town, they should go to the online newpaper of potential new town and read it.

5. If school teachers are looking for jobs and they post - Do u no weather their are any teaching jobs in (fill in blank with potential town)? - they shouldn't be surprised when parents don't rush to volunteer their kid's school as a possible place of employment.

6. If you move your family to a place:

a. without either you or your spouse having a job, first, spend months with no luck finding one, and then say the locals are "too stupid" to hire you or pay you what you think you are worth, or they're all obviously hiring their cousins because how could they turn their backs on your dazzling resume;

b. or you get to a place for which you are obviously ill-suited because it doesn't have the "culture you are used to" and you say, the locals are "too stupid" for your supposed intellect;

c. or you get to a place in the country and think the locals are "too stupid" because they fraternize within their church and how could they possibly not like you when every word out of your mouth is what a backwards place this is, how it doesn't have (insert anything here) that you used to have where you came from or "OMIGOD, they allow smoking and shooting here!"

-- then please, think again about who is "too stupid." They aren't the ones that made an costly move and disrupted their family for the wrong place chosen with so little practical application of that supposed intellect.

Last edited by LauraC; 12-30-2006 at 10:39 AM..

Old 12-30-2006, 11:13 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
LauraC's post should be a "sticky".

I'm also befuddled by those who wind-up on the City-Data forums, yet somehow miss the wealth of info on the actual City-Data main page ??? Want to know the average snowfall in say, St. Louis MO? Well here ya go:

http://www.city-data.com/city/St.-Louis-Missouri.html

LOL

Old 05-09-2007, 11:56 AM

356 posts, read 1,268,753 times
A lot of people don't think for themselves they just hear something or read something and repeat it. People say things to me like it is a fact but it is just something they heard and made it their own thought.

I get parenting advice from people that have no kids, I hear political views from people who know nothing about politics, etc..

It is ridiculous. "Dont beleive anything you hear and only half of what you read". research for yourself.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
LOL is where I can vent? lol

I hope people actually do more researching than just going by a single thread on city data.

What gets my goat is ok a out of state person wants to know about a particular area and someone responds with a place no where near that location.
For instance someone was asking of a good small coastal community in north carolina and someone responded " my brother fiance is from Brevard he said that is a nice place" so I responded Brevard coast is sitting beside a waterfall" LOL it is 5 hours away in the mountains!!!!

Or those who I am assuming are under cover realtors and someone ask about a specific side of town and then they chime in oh you need to check out this other area that is over 30 minutes from that location.

Schools are all schools that bad or what everyone is looking for good schools Why is it hard to google what schools are in a area or the rating websites that provide that information. Maybe city data could provide it own rating system like a trip advisor.
I can only see if someone would ask if they want to know if anyone has kids at such such high school etc etc.
Crime data and flood plain information also would be good for this site but I often see someone say a area has high crime numbers and I remember someone mention a city I grew up in that hasnt grown or change the quality of life since I left there as my Pookie puts it "A place that time has forgot" and you can trust your kids to walk 5 miles away from home and know they will not be harmed.

OK thanks for letting me vent Im a citydataholic and need to accept things I cannot change and change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference LOL.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
There actually is a thread called "i've just gotta vent, etc" here on General US. I have posted on it, much the same stuff as I just read on this one. I agree, this ought to be a "sticky". Anyone who relocates just because they read something on city-data forums about what a great place city X is, is either crazy or very brave! And for Pete's sake, as has been said before, check out the city-data main page for the city you are interested in! There are lots of statistics.

Old 05-10-2007, 06:55 AM

4 posts, read 68,961 times
And I don't understand why to create such topics as "People from which states are disliked the most" or "States with the ugliest people".

There's no use to be so agressive,really! After all, it's not tolerant.
Maybe people who create such topics think that it's funny-I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.