Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

A good place to live: crime statistics, find a job, taxes, traffic, Christmas.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 06:09 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times

Advertisements

I have been reading allot of the posts for different cities
Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand why I have seen so many posts (mostly negative) for areas from people that have never lived there.
If you have never lived in the area how can you justify saying it is "over priced" "crime ridden" "over built" "too many green or blue people" "the neighbors won't accept you unless you_____(fill in the blank)"and so on.
Also just because the city you live in may have some issues, that doesn't mean the whole state is that way. Yet I continue to see posts that say "I live in "xyz" city and it has crime so stay away from the whole state".
I use to live in PA & NJ and like to read what they have on their forums, but do I feel "qualified" in posting about certain areas? No because I haven't lived there in 15 years and things have changed.
Other people wonder why posting comments on areas in a state they have never lived in "irks" the folks that live there. This is simple, you don't or haven't lived there. It might be different if you were to post "I don't live in "xyz" city but have read ........,so I have these impressions". But to go in and say "xyz" is a bad city don't move there, is doing an injustice to the people who are looking for information from actual residents of the area, it's also not likely to win you lots of friends.

I think these forums are great and I have received LOTS of wonderful information.
I just wanted to point out that there are people out there that use the information they receive from forums like these to make what they consider "big" decisions.
Maybe the best way is to ask yourself before posting:
"is this first hand accurate information"
"am I posting this because I need to vent"
"am I just very unhappy here but others find it a good place to live"
"am I adding my "2 cents" because I'm bored and there is nothing else to do "
I think we have a certain "responsibility" as human beings to really think about what we post.

Before I get "slammed" I am not pointing fingers and any one person or city this is just my impression from reading the different forums.

Wishing everyone a blessed and peaceful holiday season

Karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 06:42 AM

850 posts, read 3,158,632 times
Dear Karla - I commend you on your post. You are very accurate in your statements.

I have sometimes wondered that, too - but I assumed they had family there, or were connected in some way.

I believe your key points also are accurate. I myself draw upon this board to consider job changes, get input from others - and when it is my turn to help out, I try to be as honest as I can.

For instance, Kentucky. We are all not hillbillies, although I do not mind being teased about it. We do not all go barefoot - but those are some of my favorite childhood memories, and I still wear sandals and go barefoot as often as I can.

I believe when we join a forum like this - we must always follow the Golden Rule and give the most accurate info possible. If it is a vent - that's great - we all need to vent every now and then - but let us know it is a vent due to whatever experience.

Oh, and one more thing....I read a report the other day concering job searches and learned some prospective employers are getting on the internet, typing in the prospective employees name - and reading things they have written and searching pictures they have posted. In some cases - the stats say - their position is based on what they have may have posted on-line.

What a scary thought - and one more reason for us to be kind - but honest.

Thank you Karla for you post. You have reminded me of thinigs I need to be careful of.

Have a wonderful day!
KimmieyKY

Old 12-18-2006, 07:00 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,288 times
Thanks for mentioning this Karla-aka myfask!

I can point out two examples right off the bat!

One being Michigan-lots of people in this forum equate Michigan as being a "bad" state to live in because of the sagging/slumping economy based in southeast Michigan, otherwise known as Metro-Detroit! Outside of the Metro-Detroit region is beautiful,.. (i tend to think Michigan is one of the most underrated states in the union!)..friendly people and plenty of tight-knit rural communities!

Another example is when people equate eastern Kentucky as the "bad" part of Kentucky. I have lived in southeastern Kentucky (by Cumberland,Benham and Lynch) and it's one of friendliest and greastest (-IMHO) places to live in the country. Another jewel in the rough! (southeastern Kentucky, that is) I get sick and tired of people saying..."Oh, be careful not to break down in the hills of eastern Kentucky!" or " that side of the state is not so good!".

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 12-18-2006 at 07:40 AM..

Old 12-18-2006, 07:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times

When people mention that they are hesitant to come into a forum, afraid to ask question and/or don't know what to believe, you have to wonder if *some* folks have been overdoing it a bit.
Thank you for bringing this up, Karla.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:11 AM

153 posts, read 711,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Thanks for mentioning this Karla-aka myfask!

I can point out two examples right off the bat!

One being Michigan-lots of people in this forum equate Michigan as being a "bad" state to live in because of the sagging/slumping economy based in southeast Michigan, otherwise known as Metro-Detroit! Outside of the Metro-Detroit region is beautiful,.. (i tend to think Michigan is one of the most underrated states in the union!)..friendly people and plenty of tight-knit rural communities!

Another example is when people equate eastern Kentucky as the "bad" part of Kentucky. I have lived in southeastern Kentucky (by Cumberland,Benham and Lynch) and it's one of friendliest and greastest (-IMHO) places to live in the country. Another jewel in the rough! (southeastern Kentucky, that is) I get sick and tired of people saying..."Oh, be careful not to break down in the hills of eastern Kentucky!" or " that side of the state is not so good!".

While I agree that there are many people who comment about areas where they have not lived, I have to say I disagree about the Michigan Forums. Having lived there and just recently moved from the area, I would say that most of the posts are well founded, especially those having to do with the economy. (I realize the people are nice and it is pretty)

You have to remember even though there are people commenting about areas where they have not lived, doesn't mean they aren't right. No one person can "see" what's totally going on in a state, regardless of if they live there or not. I generally think that if you keep track of the numbers of those who say it's horrible vs the numbers of people who say it's bad you'll have an accurate idea of what is going on in an area.

The truth generally resides halfway between the naysayers and soothsayers. Thus, as with any Bulletin Board on the internet, you have to remember to take each post with a grain of salt! But I would not dismiss those who hold opposing views, on any medium.

If there is any "problem" on these boards, it's that many people post their particular problem with an area and generally it's a problem isolated to them, and has nothing to do with an area. But it is in our nature to place blame, so many blame the area instead of realizing that the bad experience they had was an isolated incidence having more to do with them than the area.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:12 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
thanks for the nice comments and positive feedback.
I agree that people tend to judge someone on where they are from, I moved here from NJ and people expect me to be brash and harsh.

Blue grass- my husbands family is from the UP of Michigan they can't say enough how beautiful the area is and how friendly everyone is. I wil get up there to visit one of these day
kimmie I am there with you on the sandals and barefoot. I finally broke out the socks when it went down to the 30's here in NE FL.
I keep checking the weather report for Phila on Christmas they are saying it will be in the 40's yay no socks lol
Cil thanks
I have been kicking this around for a couple weeks and finally said I need to post this.
thanks again for the support
hugs
karla

Old 12-18-2006, 07:39 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,934,948 times
A new person here: Good topic... I've found it kinda neat to be of help if I can to someone who asks about Vermont. I don't know a hill of beans about much of the state's southern half so I don't offer info or opinions on it. I have lived in 2 other states, not more recently than twenty years ago, however, and though threads about those places make for nice reading, I don't feel qualified to say a whole lot about them other than "I remember a certain place" or "there used to be..." or something like that. I like this board and hope to stick around. I've found a lot of good folks here. This particular topic is / could be / should be nearly universal on the net. It seems most boards have this kind of problem in one way or another. There are people out there who seem to just enjoy talking over their heads. The reasons are nicely spelled out in the initial post. Thankfully, poseurs get exposed rather quickly.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:49 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times
Default Too much TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
thanks for the nice comments and positive feedback.
I agree that people tend to judge someone on where they are from, I moved here from NJ and people expect me to be brash and harsh.

karla
Kudos to Karla, you are on to something.

Oh yeah, there's a lot of "generalization" in this forum, and in everyday life as well. I live in Southern Cal and am fairly content here (except cost of living, minor thing). If you read the forum on CA you might think the place is in all out uproar and going to fall into the ocean any day now (OK, it might someday but I hope not for a few more years). Lived in lots of other places too in (and out of) the US. When I tell people around here that I had a great time living in Boonton NJ from 1990 to 1993, they look at me with a blank stare. I've lived in GA and AL too, and same story, I enjoyed life in those places and most people I know here in CA can't comprehend that. Karla, you seem like a real nice person, so maybe your friends in FL have just watched too many Sopranos episodes?

Old 12-19-2006, 04:32 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
For instance, Kentucky. We are all not hillbillies, although I do not mind being teased about it. We do not all go barefoot - but those are some of my favorite childhood memories, and I still wear sandals and go barefoot as often as I can.
KimmieyKY
I love wearing sandals & going barefoot too, LOL. I actually spent a night in Kentucky once (Louisville), when my plane got diverted because of a tornado in Chicago. I admittedly believed some of the stereotypes, but didn't think you were all hillbillies or anything! I was pleasantly surprised to see it was a beautiful area, and the few people I met were soooo friendly. I arrived hungry & frustrated at the motel around 2am, and the front-desk guy was really sweet... he called the security guard & asked her to drive me to a minimart, since there wasn't food available anywhere else. I'm guessing you wouldn't get such nice treatment in most towns out here! I'm sure Kentucky has more "hillbilly" types than San Francisco, but I also realize most of you are just like anyone else.

Anyway, to the original poster... I think it's true what they say, where the most unhappy are always the most vocal (or something like that!). When people are truly satisfied, they have no reason to come to a place like this, and ramble on about how great it is. I stumbled on this forum while researching different towns, since I'm applying for jobs around the Northwest. I do complain about SF occasionally, but also try to offer positive advice whenever possible. But those who are most vocal, are usually the ones that have a lot to b-tch about!

Old 12-19-2006, 04:53 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Kudos to Karla, you are on to something.

Oh yeah, there's a lot of "generalization" in this forum, and in everyday life as well. I live in Southern Cal and am fairly content here (except cost of living, minor thing). If you read the forum on CA you might think the place is in all out uproar and going to fall into the ocean any day now (OK, it might someday but I hope not for a few more years). Lived in lots of other places too in (and out of) the US. When I tell people around here that I had a great time living in Boonton NJ from 1990 to 1993, they look at me with a blank stare. I've lived in GA and AL too, and same story, I enjoyed life in those places and most people I know here in CA can't comprehend that.
When my parents told us we were moving to San Francisco (when I was 7), all I could picture were sunny beaches, blonde bimbos, Rice-a-Roni, and daily major earthquakes... yes, I confused the stereotypes of LA & SF. And some people also think we're raging hippies, who have sit-ins and gay pride parades every weekend. We do have some of that, which I personally love, but it's not exactly a regular activity. Anyway, I realized quickly that my pre-conceived notions were a bit off, and settled in here pretty well... and speaking of sunny beaches, I'm freezing my butt off in 28-degree weather tonight! Not exactly what people think California is like, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.